Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a property and retiring to Florida

Gold 5 Star Member
    Its with Global expats insurance. You cant get proper US medical insurance until you have been here for two years in case you have some pre-existing illness you bring in with you, I think. You would be surprised how many agents wanted us just to lie on the form and say we had been. It would just have invalidated the insurance if they found out and left a loophole you could have driven a bus through but all the agents cared about was their commission. The excess is per person unless it arises from the same event ( ie we are all in the same car accident) Matt at 18 got an excess of %2500 at the price we paid $5000 for. We dont mind paying for the odd doctors visit but dont want to be bankrupted by a major accident or illness so we took out what is called catastrophic insurance. You can get insurance with a much lower excess that will cover you for most treatments but it would have been much more expensive.

Florida Junior
    Thanks for all the info. It is very helpful. My husband has had asthma since birth and uses an inhaler - maybe uses one per month. Will this be a problem when we look for medical insurance?

Gold 5 Star Member
    It could be. You may find that insurers will want to exclude your husband's asthma from the policy altogether which means that you'll have to pay for his inhalers and doctor's visits, etc yourself and also that will exclude any condition which could be attributed to his asthma.

But you won't know until you ask I guess as all insurers don't have the same pre-existing conditions exclusions or consider asthma as a particular risk factor.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    My son is asthmatic and we had to declare it and they weighted his premium slightly. He is only 18 so it was not too bad.
    Lindajo, you say you are moving out on E2, please be sure to investigate the business you are buying very thoroughly ( and not just via an accountant acttached to your business broker or attorney, someone totally impartial) Also please go out and shadow the people for a day or two and see what they do and whether you want to do that for the rest of your lives. Dont be blinded by the thought of a visa and living in Florida, you are doing that job 8 plus hours a day ( 12 in my case) and have to be content with what you are doing as you are tied to that business. If you want to know the nitty gritty of moving out to Florida on E2, pm me.
    Julie

can anyone tell me where is the best place to post an ad to sell my home? I have a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house located in Polk CO, I do not want to go through any realtors and I have not experience with the people that say they buy houses for cash. Has anyone dealt with those type of companies? It really is a gorgeous home. Big lot, great subdivision, cermaic tiles throughout the house, high ceiling, screen patio enclosures, heck I have pics that I can show to anyone who is interested. Well anyone has any suggestions please do let me know.

Best Regards Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum. Well, you could try the 'For Sale/Swap' section of the forum for a start? Just remember that you can't include website links so you could get interested people to contact you via PM or email.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Try posting it on here but not in this section which is for immigration really and not the right place!! From what I hear homes are being snapped up at the moment because of the good £/$ exchange rate. You would probably do better using a realtor who could put you in touch with say a British buyer and paying his fees than selling to one of those I buy your home for cash people as I am sure they probably dont give you a good price. It is a sellers market at the moment.
    Julie