Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Days fishing?

Florida Junior

Quiet Days fishing?

Hi Guys
    Spending 3 weeks at Thousand Oaks in July and I want to do some fishing. Got contact for shark fishing but would also like something more relaxing.

I want to hire a rowing/motor boat on a quiet lake somewhere to spend a few hours. Are there any quiet spots in or around Orlando? Most of the larger ones look like they could be realy busy and I'm looking for something a bit quieter away from the crowds.
    Anyone know of such a place, even if it is a bit of a drive away?

Thanks
    JohnA

Gold 5 Star Member
    Have you tried fishing from the beach?

There are plenty of almost deserted beaches on the Atlantic coast within an hour of Orlando.

Or load of quiet places on the rivers with 30 mins - St Johns River, Indian River, Banana River.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lake Toho has lots of quiet fishing and spans 42 miles in diameter so there's no way it's going to be that busy - either East Lake Toho or Lake Toho at Southport are great for bass fishing.

Google 'Lake Toho Florida' and you'll find lots of links for fishing charter boats.

Note that you'll need a fishing licence for the over 16s which you can buy from Wal-Mart or fishing tackle stores.
    blott

I've tried many times to find somewhere for my guests where they could rent a small row boat to take with them wherever they want to fish, or just to use on the Thousand Oaks lake, but rentals companies like this don't seem to exist.

You could buy an inflatable boat from Walmart, plus the life jackets, for a very reasonable price, and then fish the deeper waters of Thousand Oaks lake, or you could consider buying a sturdier pedal boat which costs around $600. The advantage of this is that it is solid and you can quite easily put it inside a larger car such as a 7 seater (with back seats down) and go wherever you want.

One of my American guests bought a pedal boat and used it on our lake, as well as elsewhere, and had a great time. He took it back home with him, which may even be an option for you, depending on which airline you fly with.

Part of the problem with renting boats is the insurance. This cost is incredible and any rental cost would be very high too! It's why I don't provide a boat for my guests even though my home backs onto the Thousand Oaks lake.

I hope that you have a wonderful time. There are some huge fish in our lake - very tasty, so I am told.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
    Carla

Florida Junior
    Thanks for the replies guys and Carla....nice to hear from someone who has a villa in the same area. This will be our first time in Orlando so really looking forward to it......94 days to go[msnwink]

Anyway back to the fishing...I had planned on giving the lake on Thousand Oaks a go from the bank but didn't give a thought to an inflatable. I actually have a new 4 man boat in the garage, unused as yet but it is probably too heavy to take(I'll check later) but I will also check Walmart prices.

I know I will need the rod licence but are you sure I won't get into trouble for going out on the lake with the inflatable? If as you say there are some big fish, I would not even need to bother going anywhere else....thousand oaks and the lake look so peacefull on google earth[msncool]

EDIT 1.
    Just had a thought...even if I pay the extra £15 baggage fee(£30 return) it would be cheaper than buying another[msncool]

EDIT 2.
    Just checked weight and it comes in at around 16 kilos. I think I can have an extra 20 or 25 kilo baggage allowance for £15/£20 if I remember correctly. So fishing on Thousand Oaks lake is sorted as long as someone doesn't say I will get into trouble
    JohnA

John, you won't get into any trouble at all by boating on the lake and fishing in the middle of it. We permit engines too but only up to 1Hp which is just enough to move a boat very slowly through the water.

The Thousand Oak lake is there for the exclusive use of residents and guests of rental home owners for fishing in or boating on. It is really quiet and peaceful. I can count on 3 fingers the number of times I have seen a boat on the lake.[msnwink][msnsmile2]

If the home that you are staying in doesn't back onto the main lake then there is a section on Thousand Oaks Blvd, just after Breezy Oaks Court, where you can gain access to the water. All other parts of the bank are private and belong to the home owners whose homes back onto the lake. The water is deep in the middle and the fishing is good.

PS: I'm a Board Member of the HOA, so I know that you will be fine to use a small craft on the water. Please take care and ensure that anyone using the boat has a life-jacket on and that any children are always accompanied by an adult. Please do not allow anyone to swim in the lake as this is forbidden and potentially dangerous.

Have a wonderful time and we'd love to see some pictures of your catches.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
    Carla

Florida Junior
    Thanks Carla, you've put my mind at rest[msncool] We won't be in a villa backing onto the water but not far(just past Oak Promenade Ct) but I can see the bit your talking about for access...right on the corner?

No kids just me and the wife[msnsmile2] Pictures...you bet, any fish will be released to fight again but I'll be taking photos and video. I'll post some on the forum while I'm still over there[msnsmile2]

Tell your guests to watch out for the mad Scotsman on the Lake and if they fancy a fish from the boat to wave me over[beer]

Thanks again.

John

EDIT
    Change of plan...just checked Walmart and I find I can buy a large/safe inflatable for less than $40 Even just to use a few times during my 3 week holiday it would probably be worth it. I can leave it behind if the owner doesn't mind or just dispose of it before leaving.

Carla you don't happen to know the zip code for the nearest Walmart? I can pay for it before arriving in Orlando and have it delivered to the store for collection[msncool]

JohnA

John, look for a Walmart closest to zipcode 33896. Sorry but I can't remember the zips for the various Walmarts but by entering our zip code their website will tell you which is closest. Several are within a 10-15 minute drive.

The Access that you have marked is the one that I mentioned in my earlier post, and there's another on the same road which will be closer to your villa. It's the big gap before the 4 homes where it looks like there's parking. [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

What date do you arrive in Florida John?
    Carla

Florida Junior
    Thanks for the code Carla.[clap] Yes I can see several quite close to us by using google maps. We arrive on July 4 and leave July 25th.

Do you or anyone else reading this, know if it would be ok to find a spot on Lake Toho and use the inflatable there too?

Thanks
    JohnA

John, there is Public boat access at several points on Lake Toho. If you google 'Lake Toho public boat access' then several sites come up giving you information. You might need to contact Osceola County with regard to the inflatable to make sure that they consider this craft to be safe on this lake. The first site that came up when I searched has contact numbers.

You'll also find many of the other local lakes with boat access and directions too.

Have a wonderful vacation.[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
    Carla