Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Single Parent travelling with single child

Florida Newbie

Single Parent travelling with single child

Hi, I wonder are there any issues I might have travelling as a single male parent with my 13 year boy?
    I recollect some very sad abductions occurring in the past and I wonder whether I need to do anything in particular when we travel out in May?

Regards

JohnS

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you mean abductions in the theme parks, there never have been any as the parks are very safe and have all sorts of security, most of which you can't see or are aware of. Decide on a meeting place if either of you mislay each other or make sure your son knows to approach a cast member if he can't find you.

You might find the purchase of some cheap walkie talkies useful locally although please don't use them in the UK as they use the emergency service frequencies here.

If you mean generally, then it's no different to any of the usual precautions that you'd take at home. make sure your son has written details of where you can be contacted or at least your accommodation address and phone number.

Above all, have a great time!
    blott

Florida Newbie
    I think I may have explained that poorly, I was really asking whether I should expect issues leaving through Immigration in the UK and then entry into the US? Would they need to check on us in any way, should I have some other kind of documentation beyond passports for instance, to prove we are travelling with the blessing of his mother for example?

JohnS

Florida Expert
    Hi John,
    We travel out very regularly to Florida and our 4year old grandson is with us every time! ( our last trip was for three months ).We have been asked a total of twice for proof that we have permission to take him out of the UK,I cannot say exactly how many times without getting his passport out and counting the stamps but it is around 16 trips. In theory they can ask that you have this and for America it has to be notarised as they do not recognize solicitors out there they only accept a notary's stamp and signature. ( we do carry one with us but like I have already said in approx 16 trips we have been asked twice for this and one of those times was when we were leaving from Manchester Airport.) If your son has the same surname as you I would be VERY surprised if they asked you if you had permission to take him.

My daughter has kept her maiden name and so when she travels on her own with our grandson they can insist that she have proof that she has permission to take him with her. Not that she will ever need it as he always travels with us!!!
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-38.aspx

Florida Expert
    Hi John. I go to Florida every year with my daughter and have never had any problems t all. Other than at Sanford when they told me to leave my daughter outside with my bags. My daughter is 11 and there is no way I would leave her standing outside on her own. Other than that no problems at all.
    Nikki D