Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flight with 22mth old

Florida Newbie

flight with 22mth old

Hi all,

Flying with my 22mth old son with BA and wondered what anyone else's experience was like with BA and their children? He's pretty good but like most toddlers his age, he does get restless and can have the odd tantrum.

Are other passengers fairly accomodating? Im hoping that because its Orlando, there will be plenty of other kids/toddlers doing the same thing [msnscared]

Thanks

I cannot say about BA as we have not flown with them before, but we took several small gifts to give to our son when he was this age (he was really into Thomas the Tank engine so they mostly centred on this) We spaced out giving him these gifts throught the flight and he loved it. He loved having stories read to him, so this helped pass the time.

And I walked him around the plane several times which also helped, stopping and talking to other parents on the way [msnsmile2]

Florida Expert
    No doubt you will be walking all around the plane from the front to the back and if your child is like ours you will be making new friends in every class, most people are friendly but you do come across some who are not. Good luck get plently of sleep before your plane journey and forget about watching anything on the flight you will be too busy going up & down and round the plane.
    Berni Deno and Maya
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1997.aspx

we flew on XL airways when our 20 month old grandson came with us a couple of years ago, he slept for about 3 hours to start with and was an absolute angel we were all anticipating him playing up, hee doesnt usually but then had never been on an aeroplane before, we had a rucksack full of different things for him to play with etc...... he didnt really get to see many other people he was very happy to be sitting between mummy and daddy and have us all around, also we were up the front of the plane, hes just done a 22 hour trip to australia and back again and they say he was an absolute darling there to...

when we last came back from florida last october, we had 2 small children in the bulkhead seats must admit i thought we would hear them all night but what a credit to their parents they mustve been 2 and 3 years old, didnt hear a peep out of them.... wish we couldve said the same for the family behind them, a girl of about 12 and her little brother about 8, they screamed and played up all night, i got off the plane at gatwick with the worst migraine ever and went through 5 sickbags cos of them kids!!!! dont know who was the worst their parents or them father slapped the boy so hard i wanted to slap him the father..... and the mother well she took no notice till all others started nodding off!!!

dont you worry about the little ones they dont understand!!! worry bout the ones that should know better!!!

hope you have a great trip!!
    Liesa

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna

dont you worry about the little ones they dont understand!!! worry bout the ones that should know better!!!

hope you have a great trip!!

[/quote]

Absolutely right!!

Everyone understands if a little one is a bit fractious and poor Mum and Dad are having a hard time trying to keep them quiet. Mostly I have noticed they are good the whole trip except take off and landing when you have to have them sitting them down on your lap. Try having something they can suck - a dummy if your son uses one? - for take off and landing as their ears may 'pop' and they will not understand what it is that is happening.

The staff are quite busy but I have seen them sympathising with parents and asking if there is anything they need like an extra pillow, drink, biscuit, etc. Walking them around the plane when the seat belt sign is off is a good idea and they enjoy 'collecting' smiles etc from other passengers!! A few small toys and a book may help too.

Hope you a good trip.

Frances

My grandson was 22 months when we took him last year. He was great, took a bag with a few new toys, puzzle and books. we spaced out the time of giving him each one and he was great for the entire journey. Coming back he was asleep for most of the journey and the only time he was upset for a few moments was when we had to keep waking him up each time the seat belt light went on for turbulence and we had to move him into a sitting position. We did worry before we went but I have never been disturbed on any flight I have been on by children.
    Jan

Florida Newbie
    hi thats fab advice for kids we are going in May this year with 3 seperate familys with us having a 3 year old and my sister in law taking a 6 month old. will pass on any advice to her aswell as we were slightly nervous of kids are going to be
    Any advice for nervous adult flyers like myself i can just about bear a 2hour flight first time to florida cheer[msneek]

When I first went to Florida I had only travelled on a plane to Ireland before. The experience is totally different, ther is mor room to move around and you do not feel compelled to stay sitting in your seat. There are films etc to keep you occupied and most planes have seatback tvs so you can enjoy this better. Two meals times which help shorten time into smaller portions. Who are you flying with angie?
    Jan

Florida Newbie
    cheers for the advice we booked up with Airtours and are flying with Monarach

No seatback tvs on Monarch but when I last flew with them the food was good. Monarch also fly into Sanford, which is my favoured airport. We take a couple of nintendo DS's as well with us, these help pass the time. Have a great trip Angie.
    Jan