Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with disabilities

Help with disabilities

Hiya!
    I am planning a holiday in October for the family after a tough year so I want everything to be great. My husband returns from Iraq after 4 months away in September and my little one (6) has spent a long time in hospital some of which in a coma and has just been diagnosed with a life threatening blood disease!
    Can you offer any sage advice on anything we might be able to do with Disney or Universal that would make our lives easier. He is not in a wheelchair but gets very tired and needs the toilet at inconvenient and urgent moments!! Are we coming at the right time of year?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks Lou

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Lou and welcome.

First of all, make sure everyone is covered by suitable travel insurance, including full medical cover. You don't need the trauma of worrying in case someone should be taken ill in Florida.

Second, tell your airline about your son - ring Special Services - and let them know. If there are any arrangements they can make, they will do this for you in advance.

There's a lot of walking to do at all the parks but they all have wheelchairs available for rental although you can't book these in advance as they're on a first come, first served basis. Just make sure that you arrive at the park(s) relatively soon after opening time as they go pretty quickly sometimes.

Alternatively, you can 'borrow' a wheelchair from the Red Cross or local charities in the UK which you may be able to take with you. Our local NHS also has info about this sort of service so yours may do too.

Or you can rent a wheelchair from local companies so that you have it available for other than park visits. Try www.walkermobility.com or www.randysmobility.com

As far as the toilets are concerned, most restaurants, etc usually don't mind you asking to use their toilets without buying anything - just ask, the worst they can say is no! The parks all have plenty of toilets too.

If all else fails, have you thought about some incontinence pants/pads to take with you in case of accidents? Ask at your GP's surgery what's available. There are special shorts available for night times called Dry Nights too which you may be able to use during the day?

October's not usually that busy so you're going at a good time and the weather's normally great then.

Have a great time, I'm sure you will.
    blott

Hiya Blott!

Thanks for the reply and the good advice.
    We do have our own wheelchair for when he is very tired but we try to avoid it as much as possible - it is important that he doesn't feel too different.... so nappies/dry pants are out too I'm afriad - at 6 years old it is just a step too far for him!!

I was wondering more about whether it is worth contacting Disney/Universal in advance for things like queue passes etc as waiting in line for an hour and then losing a place because of a toilet stop would be impossible for 2 weeks!!
    I was also wondering whether anyone has experience of how helpful they can be regards special things/events for him, if I contact them prior to arrival, as we would like to make it as special as possible!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Blott has covered a lot there

the biggest tip i have is to visit disney guest services when you enter the park and ask about their guest assistance card and how it can help in your particlar circumstances, they will also give you a disabled visitors guide book that we find a great help, it is worth noting that every disney park has a medical centre should you need assistance and the staff are very helpful [msnsmile]

First Aid station locations are as follows:

Magic KingdomŪ Park - Adjacent to the Crystal Palace off Main St., U.S.A.
    Epcot - Odyssey Center in Future World
    Disney's Hollywood Studios - Adjacent to the Guest Relations Building just past the Main Entrance
    Disney's Animal KingdomŪ Theme Park - Behind Creature Comforts in Discovery Island
    Disney's Blizzard Beach - Between Beach Haus and Lottawatta Lodge
    Disney's Typhoon Lagoon - Adjacent to Leaning Palms
    These locations provide a place to store medications or receive assistance.

Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities

The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities provides a detailed overview of services and facilities available for Guests with disabilities and is available at Guest Relations locations within all four Parks as well as Guest Services locations at Downtown Disney

This booklet provides a detailed overview of:

The services and facilities available for Guests with disabilities, including information about parking, restrooms, auxiliary aids, telephones, transportation facilities and specific attraction entrance and boarding procedures.

The many attractions that allow Guests to remain in a wheelchair and those that are transfer accessible.

The locations of companion restrooms available in each theme park.

Additionally, Guests with specific disability concerns can visit Guest Relations at any of the Theme Parks for additional information and assistance. The Cast Member you speak with will be happy to discuss in greater detail the available options to provide a memorable visit.

Services:
    Wheelchair and stroller rentals (must have major credit card or Disney Resort ID)
    Designated parking areas for Guests with disabilities are available throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Theme Park Parking (Standard parking rates apply)
    Guests with the ability to walk short distances and step up onto the courtesy trams should park in the main parking lots of Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park. The courtesy tram will transport Guests to the Entrance Complex. Parking for Guests with mobility disabilities or who are traveling with personal wheelchairs is available adjacent to the Entrance Complex at each of the four Parks.

Guests should inquire at the Auto Plaza for directions on parking options.

This is from Disney's own info I hope it helps. I have always found them to be very understanding of special needs.

October is a great time to go becasue the weather is not too humid. My MC always says that October is the best month weatherwise.
    Angela

Florida Newbie
    We took our son at age 6, also after being diagnosed with a chronic illness and a year after emergency neurosurgery (doctors advise was not to fly for a full year after due to the pressure in the aircraft).

He also became extremely tired standing/walking for any length of time. We hired a stroller (available for rent at all parks). He was taller than the average 6 year old (due to his illness), but he fit in OK and certainly was not the only child of that size in a stroller. The cost is minimal and is also handy for storing bags/drinks etc.

As others have said you must make sure your travel insure covers all conditions. It can be a very lengthy process explaining everything, and will probably take more than one phone call for them to ask questions/confirm facts etc. but it is a necessity (ours is an annual policy from Direct Travel). Even though it is over 6 years since my son's crisis, and that particular incident was not caused by his illness, but was a one off caused by his reaction to a medication, I still have EVERYTHING noted on the policy. (He obviously doesn't take that particular medication anymore).

Also, if you have a blue badge at home remember to take it with you as you can use it to park closer to the park entrance.

Another thing: if you need to take medication/prescription food with you, I'd advise getting a letter from the doctor listing what you will be carrying and why.

HTH

Kevin Kelleher

They were stopping this a few years back due to equal rights (unless things have changed). They were making the regular ride queues accessible for all. There will still be one or two that have separate entrances but it does not always mean straight to the front. There is a pass you can get for 'make a wish kids' that gets you to the front of the lines. Personally we prefferd the queues as you miss quite a bit of the pre-show entertainment but using the pass, which is often part of the ride structure.
    From toilet trip point of view, then it would be worth taking doctors note to guest relations and they will issue you with a help card suitable for your sons needs

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lewisp
    Lou, as a general rule of thumb, you can walk to the front of any queue in the parks if you have a family member in a wheelchair. You just use the disabled entry at the front of the lines. All Disney staff are extremely helpful and there are usually plenty of Disney staff at every ride. If you cant see a wheelchair entrance just ask. Even if your son doesnt want to use a wheelchair it might be worth persuading him to as you will save such a lot of time not having to stand in line and I'm sure this would save an awful lot of hassle if you need a toilet stop quickly. Have a great time. Regards. Gill
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    they have had a massive clampdown on guest assistance as the system has been abused in the past, almost all rides now are accessible, there is no such thing as queue jumping or bypassing lines

the guest assistance card allows the guest to access the disabled entrance to a ride (often the fastpass or a specially signposted entrance) where there is steps the normal route and often that guest may wait longer for a particular car on the ride that is adapted for wheelchairs or they need to stop the ride so the wheelchair user can self transfer, they can also provide other assistance for those guests whose disabilities are mental rather than physical, same for the hearing impared and those with sight problems

on the whole disney are very good at looking after guests with disabilities and can provide lots of information on how they can assist each individual and provide a very useful booklet that can obtained at city hall

Florida Expert
    I agree Disney and Universal are very good with disabilities. As for the rides, I found that now it is mostly the older rides that could not be adapted where you can now gain access via the fronts of the queues.
    Another tip, a lot of people go to the parks early - we always wait until after dinner - this way the queues are often shorter and you can ride while a lot of people are stopping to eat. If it would be a problem if there were no wheelchairs or strollers left at this stage - why not consider buying a stroller when you get there. Could be cheaper and more convenient than taking one and you would have it with you for days out other than at the parks.
    Dawn

Florida Junior
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Also, if you have a blue badge at home remember to take it with you as you can use it to park closer to the park entrance.
    [/quote]

You may or may not know that the Blue Badge is no longer generally accepted by the Florida Dept of Transportation. You risk a parking ticket if you use it. You now have to visit a local tax office in Florida and pay a $15 fee for a temporary disabled parking badge. The offices aren't open at weekends so this might be a bit awkward depending on when you arrive. It looks as though you can't get one in advance although I'd gladly be corrected on that.

From what I gather the main theme parks are continuing to accept the blue badges although, as I've read elsewhere, "Disney say you won't necessarily get into the official disabled spaces but the nearest ones they can find".

Sorry if I'm repeating things you already know!
    Jane