Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with disabilities

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by JaneB
    It looks as though you can't get one in advance although I'd gladly be corrected on that.
    I don't think you can get it in advance as you need to produce the disabled person's UK blue disabled badge and their passport when applying for the temporary US disabled badge. The US temporary disabled badges last for three months.

Here's an interesting question... how do you park in a disabled space in order to get your US temporary disabled badge as you have to take your UK disabled badge into the taxation office with you? An interesting conundrum we came across on our recent visit when applying for a US temporary disabled badge as I'm the only (disabled) driver! Hmmmm...

blott

Wow!!!
    You guys are great and so very kind for such detailed answers!!!
    I THINK MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!! I'm sure that other people don't find organising a holiday as stressful as me... maybe I'm just a control freak!! (that is what my husband tells me!!!)[msneek]

I don't think we can get a blue badge here... he gets disability living allowance at the highest rate for personal care but not for mobility so I think we just have to get on with it! Haven't looked into it though..... since his spell in ICU and subsequent diagnosis in July, we have been pretty much stranded and left to our own devices!!

It sounds like there are great systems in place in the USA though - which is what I suspected after living in Atlanta for a spell in the 90's! I'm sure that we will be overwhelmed by the help that is offered and the attitude of the staff.... I'm hoping that they are as kind as you guys.... thank you so very much
    Lou

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hannard
    Wow!!!

I don't think we can get a blue badge here... he gets disability living allowance at the highest rate for personal care but not for mobility so I think we just have to get on with it! Haven't looked into it though..... since his spell in ICU and subsequent diagnosis in July, we have been pretty much stranded and left to our own devices!!

[/quote]

Lou, if your son is getting DLA at the highest rate, then he should be eligible for a blue badge. It would certainly be worth enquiring from Social Services and contacting your local blue badge scheme which is normally run by the local county or unitary authority.
    Brenda
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3197.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    You would definatley be eligable for the Blue Badge contact your Local Authority it would be very useful for you with your Son on trips out here sounds like they have changed the rules in Florida but once you have it you can sort that out,I would apply soon as it can take a while

Florida Junior
    i have looked into this for my son who also red=ceives the high rate dla for personal care but not mobility and you have to be getting the mobilty side for blue badge.there are no exceptions my son has extreme risk taking behaviour because of his condition so is not safe by roads in car parks etc and this makes no difference
    sam

the blue badge scheme is for those who cannot walk or have extremely limited mobolity, it is not really an advantage to anyone else.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by charkyry
    i have looked into this for my son who also red=ceives the high rate dla for personal care but not mobility and you have to be getting the mobilty side for blue badge.there are no exceptions my son has extreme risk taking behaviour because of his condition so is not safe by roads in car parks etc and this makes no difference
    [/quote]

I was linking the higher rate of DLA with the need for a wheelchair which appears to link to some mobility problems. Applying for a Blue Badge can be made through a GPs recommendation if mobility is a problem which may be the case as your son Lou does get tired.

Brenda
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3197.aspx