Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hysterectomy - UPDATE- Am Home

Florida Expert

hysterectomy - UPDATE- Am Home

Well as some of you know we am going out to Florida on the 18th of July for 1 month, now I have jsut had a phone call to ask if I would go in on Mon for my hysterectomy, well I said no as I am going to Spain at Easter, so they gave me a date for the 11th of April now I know I have 12 weeks + before my hols, I thought that there had to be 12 weeks before a flight but they inform me its only 4, now I dont agree with that as you can't drive for 6 weeks.
    So what I really want to know is do you think I would be ok to go after 14 weeks I don't want anything to go wrong in US or to spoil my holiday.

Florida Expert
    I would ring the airline you are travelling with and let them know and see what they say. Also ask your doctor about travelling.

I assume this would affect your insurance policy as well as you will need to inform them that you had the operation just over 12 weeks ago.

All depends on the person, our best friend is still not right after twenty weeks! My mum in law could have flown after a couple of weeks. I am pretty sure the recommended recovery period (i.e time of work) is 10-12 weeks.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ravtino
    Well as some of you know we am going out to Florida on the 18th of July for 1 month, now I have jsut had a phone call to ask if I would go in on Mon for my hysterectomy, well I said no as I am going to Spain at Easter, so they gave me a date for the 11th of April now I know I have 12 weeks + before my hols, I thought that there had to be 12 weeks before a flight but they inform me its only 4, now I dont agree with that as you can't drive for 6 weeks.
    So what I really want to know is do you think I would be ok to go after 14 weeks I don't want anything to go wrong in US or to spoil my holiday.
    [/quote]

The best person to speak to is your consultant.*

Inform your insurance company and check that if you have to cancel you will still be covered.* I had mine in early January and was back to normal after eight weeks and I had complications.* It really does depend on your recovery and if you do everything you should do and take things easy for at least the six weeks. Also is depends upon which way they do the op, the convential old fashioned way or by keyhole surgery. Every person is different.

The reason they do not want you to drive for six weeks is because of the pressure that you may have to apply in the event of an emergency stop. At this time I would say you will perfectly OK to travel but as I say check with the insurance company.
    Jill and Brian

Gold 5 Star Member
    At the end of the day hols can be taken anytime, your health comes first and obviously operations aren't carried out for cosmetic reasons so you have to make the decision either to get it over and done with (personally I'd rather cancel a trip to Spain than to Florida) or to hold off until after your July trip (which I assume would then mean you wouldn't get a date till around August (bearing in mind you also shouldn't fly for a certain period BEFORE an operation). This means you are going to waiting best part of the year.

As you don't know what you recovery time is likely to be as it varies so much from person to person why not just bite the bullet (if you can still get the Monday option you may have to forfeit you Easter trip but would I'm sure then be able to undertake your July trip.

Whatever you decide good luck and wish you a speedy recovery.
    Babblin Boo

I agree that you should ckeck with your insurance company first but if the consultant gives you the go ahead and you feel fine then there is no reason not to fly.

When I had mine I had 2 small children to look after and I was fighting fit by the 12 weeks.
    Shirley
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1786.aspx

Florida Expert
    Thanks for the replys, canceling my holidays is not an option as we need the holiday as this last couple of months has been difficult as my mum died suddenly, and as a family we need to get away, the consultant knows I have hols booked and I did say I would have it done in Sept when everything is out of the way.
    As for insurance we have an annuel policy that is due for renewal at the end of March, so will have to look at that as they will probably class it as pre existing condition.
    I am having a full abdominal , I had a c section 12 years ago and people tell me it is much like that, so I was ok and up and about with that the next day.
    I wanted it doing last year but they wanted to see if medication worked but it didn't so this is the next step, I figure I have manged up until now so its not gonna be too bad to wait - just more of the same.

Hi Jacqueline
    my friend has just had this done and was told 12 weeks and everything should be "normal" will drop you a line for a chat[grouphug]
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    At least if you can cope tiill later in the year you can hopefully get more prepared, as you say it sounds as if on top of everything else it would just be an added strain. After your Easter trip hopefully you will be better placed to decide, can you accept the April date if you want and cancel nearer the time if you don't think you will recover in time for Florida?

Technically you have to tell the insurance company as soon as you know of any change in your health (even if it is an annual policy) as it then gives them the option whether to cancel the policy (which to me is a bit off as if you buy an annual policy in good faith it should cover you for a year even if your health does deteriorate unexpectedly but they always seem to have it covered in the small print.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    I have spoken to my GP and we are going to chat about it at my Feb app, she says to leave it booked and then see, I in my own mind had got it planned for Sept as mentally at this moment but will see after hols, thank you all for your replies sometimes its good to get other peoples opinions, and I knew that someone out there would have had it done and be able to say how they were.
    They told me the wait time was 4/6 months but today they told me it was only 11 weeks as they had to meet their targets