Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dollar 4x4 SUV

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: .can any one tell what 'suv' stands for? [/quote]

Sports Utility Vehicle

JR

Florida Chatterbox
    Sorry to hijack your thread Julie, but I was thinking of booking the same sort of vehicle for my next trip. There are 4 adults, but only luggage needed for two cases so thought it would make a change from a standard saloon.

As I'm vertically challenged are they easy enough to drive? Managed a 7 seater MPV a few times but with some difficulty especially if the break is on the floor and I do 90% of the driving.

Thanks Jill

whenever we've hired a 4x4 we've ended up with a Durango, but it's not the vehicle you'll get as standard when booking a 4x4, it's an upgrade.

However, we often get the upgrade free as DE members but they'll also offer you a free upgrade if they don't have a standard 4x4 available.

If they ask if you want to upgrade to a durango, then look a little reluctant, then often they will offer you a much better rate than if you look delighted at the prospect!

We think they're great and love driving them. You are up so high you get a great view of the road ahead. Lots of space and power - what's not to like? They can be a bit of a climb to get into if you're short (as a couple of my friends found out much to our amusement) but well worth the effort!

Dianna
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jillizzy
    Sorry to hijack your thread Julie, but I was thinking of booking the same sort of vehicle for my next trip. There are 4 adults, but only luggage needed for two cases so thought it would make a change from a standard saloon.

As I'm vertically challenged are they easy enough to drive? Managed a 7 seater MPV a few times but with some difficulty especially if the break is on the floor and I do 90% of the driving.

Thanks Jill
    [/quote]

Hi jill,

I don't have a problem with 4x4 or the Grand Voyager (I own one in the UK) and I often get a Grand Jeep Cherokee as a loan car when mine is being serviced [msnwink]

I am quite tall though 5' 7" so I am sure that helps but I do find them very easy to drive and very comfortable[msnsmile] Like you I do most of the driving as I get car sick [msnsad]

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks Dianna and Julie, I'll give a go next month. I do like to be sat high up so it sounds as if it'll be OK.

Thanks again
    Jill

Ok, this is a subject I'm interested in.

We always booked a people carrier (6 of us, usually). Went for Budget's luxury SUV offer 2 years ago, on the basis it was a Ford Expedition, but they didn't have any and gave us a Durango instead. Contrary to the views expressed above, we thought it was rubbish.

My kids are Top Gear fans and very vocal when it comes to cars. All round opinion was - don't want the Durango ever again. Cheap and nasty we reckoned. Even Mrs T, who could not care less what car she has, took against it. We were away for 3 weeks that time and tried changing it to an Expedition on 4 occasions with 3 different Budget locations, but they were all out. I seem to remember on a thread once you said your husband drove a Porsche? If I'm right, he's clearly a car guy and the Durango will put him in a bad mood.

This time, we decided to try again, but agreed before leaving that if we were offered a Durango we would politely decline. We got a brand new Expedition (140 miles on the clock) and it was excellent. Much bigger than the Durango, lots more room inside, prettier and much better to drive. If you're offered one of these, take it. If you're offered a Durango, well, you've been warned.

Sorry, don't want to offend any Durango fans out there, but you're wrong!
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Last year we took my Mother in Law with us and got upgraded to a Durango fantastic to drive, only thing was we had to by a kiddies stool you know the ones they use to reach the sink as she is only 4ft.10in and could not get in it when we arrived ,my Husband had to lift her up and push her in (not a pretty site[msnwink])
    If you get one of these you will not be dissapionted

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

My kids are Top Gear fans and very vocal when it comes to cars.

[/quote]

Heaven help us all if being a Top Gear fan should make one an expert on cars! My DH is a Top Gear fan and we are also "car" people and have our fair share of fast cars ourselves.

Nevertheless, we don't consider other people "wrong" just because they prefer a different car to us!

What we like best about hiring cars on our regular visits to Orlando is that we can try without having to buy and apart from a few sluggish minivans, we've always enjoyed what we've driven.

The Durango still gets our vote, but frankly we're just glad to be in Orlando and would drive around in a Metro (but of course only the GTi version!) if we had to [msnwink]

Dianna
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quoteiannaUK Posted - 10 Jan 2008 : 22:26:22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Tonish

Heaven help us all if being a Top Gear fan should make one an expert on cars! My DH is a Top Gear fan and we are also "car" people and have our fair share of fast cars ourselves.

Nevertheless, we don't consider other people "wrong" just because they prefer a different car to us!

What we like best about hiring cars on our regular visits to Orlando is that we can try without having to buy and apart from a few sluggish minivans, we've always enjoyed what we've driven.

The Durango still gets our vote, but frankly we're just glad to be in Orlando and would drive around in a Metro (but of course only the GTi version!) if we had to

Dianna [/quote]

Well, each to his own I suppose; I hate marmite, Mrs T loves it. (I still think you're wrong, though!)
    Tonish

Well said Dianna! I couldn't agree more[msnsmile] and I have watched Top Gear several times so I must be right[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DiannaUK
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

[/quote]

The Durango still gets our vote, but frankly we're just glad to be in Orlando and would drive around in a Metro (but of course only the GTi version!) if we had to [msnwink]

Dianna
    [/quote]
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2185.aspx