Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Upper Class

Virgin Upper Class

I know this is impossible to answer with any accuracy, but I'm thinking of using Virgin Upper Class for family holiday in August - we're just back and I've had it with economy class.

Anyway, the price for August, when I checked yesterday, was about 2K per person return, which strikes me as quite cheap. Does anyone know is this the normal sort of price tag or is it a bargain and I should book it now? I've never really considered it seriously before, but I had the impression that it was usually about 3K per person.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    what about prem econ tonish, is that not in the running?

Premium Economy is barely better than cattle class. Food is about the same, and if you are unlucky and get a seat beside the galley area it can be bedlam all night. The crew were behind the curtain laughing and chatting away loudly all night - no fun. Glad we didn't pay extra - they upgraded us as our seats were broken in cattle class.

Think it sounds a reasonable price for Upper Class - which DOES look better - as some guests of mine were quoted about £1500 each for Premium Economy recently.
    ellie

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:mizzy Posted - 02 Jan 2008 : 21:50:52
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what about prem econ tonish, is that not in the running? [/quote]

I considered that, but I figured if you're going to do it, do it right.

Just a personal opinion, but I really think Virgin have taken a decision to deliberately "neglect" economy passengers in favour of premium economy and upper class. Service we had on both legs this time was rubbish, really, exacerbated by 90 min delay both ways. No question in my mind that there has been some change in emphasis here.

I know it's foolish to expect much in economy, but this time I really felt they just about put up with us, grudgingly. I don't like being in that position at all. I want to be smiled at, offered glasses of champagne all the way and a little bit of a thank you for choosing to travel with them.

I've not travelled premium economy with them before, but the prices in upper class looked good in comparison.
    Tonish

We paid around $1800 (dollars) for one way back to the uk.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:mizzy Posted - 02 Jan 2008 : 21:50:52
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what about prem econ tonish, is that not in the running? [/quote]
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    i mean price wise Tonish is there not much of a difference between the two?

we had much cheaper prem econ fares quoted than £1,500 each, would you not try out prem econ before jumping straight up to first or was the econ flight really that bad that you daren't risk prem econ [msnscared]

we flew out prem econ on our last trip and had seats upstairs, we found the experience a lot better than economy

we did feel looked after and that the service was a little more personal, it was quiet upstairs, we only had enough miles and money to travel one way prem econ [msnsad] so flying econ coming back was a real downer

i suppose it's going to boil down to what prices are like when you compare them, you could always fly out prem and come back first class then you'd get the benefit of that bed

we are trying charter this yr, first choice premium, will have to wait and see what that's like?

but wow, flying upper class Tonish i'm so envious [msnwink]

Would agree, PE upstairs is better. In saying that you might not pay that much more for UC at peak times - I think more and more families are willing to pay for PE and Virgin know this.
    Euan

The bed thing looks good, for the return trip. I'm travelling with my kids and the jetlag gets to them - they're still all wonky at the minute, I suppose the bed would help if they could actually sleep all the way.

No use for me though, I snore dreadfully and daren't fall asleep for fear of getting lynched by the other passengers. However, with upper class, it has occurred to me that this could work out OK - there's a free bar which I could enjoy throughout the evening and I'd have a chauffeur to take us home!
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Tonish, I'm lucky enough to have travelled UC quite often to Orlando with Virgin.

I usually fly out of season and pay around £1300 return, for August it's obviously a bit more expensive and I would say that £2000 is an average price.

It depends on the actual day of travel but fares should start from around £1700 - this is a 'Z' fare, the cheapest, and does not include the chauffeur driven car. A fare of around £2200 will be a 'D' fare and will include the car at both ends, and the in-between fare will be a combination of both.

If you can travel as late as the 18th of the month, the fares will come down to around £1550, so timing is crucial.

Just check on the VA website to see exactly which fare it is and to whether the chauffeur driven car is included, midweek will be cheaper and as you get nearer the date of departure the fares will increase as the lower ones are more limited.

HTH
    Jill

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie
    Premium Economy is barely better than cattle class. Food is about the same, and if you are unlucky and get a seat beside the galley area it can be bedlam all night. The crew were behind the curtain laughing and chatting away loudly all night - no fun. Glad we didn't pay extra - they upgraded us as our seats were broken in cattle class.
    [/quote]

I totally agree - in my view these 'Premium Economy' seats are the most overrated and overpriced products in the sky.

Tonish - have a look at BA Club World which is every bit as good (some would say better) than Virgin UC. BA are showing fares for Gatwick to Orlando return in August for a little over £1,700. In my view that's a bargain.

Bear in mind that for most scheduled carriers (Virgin is an exception) Business & First fares aren't affected by the time of year like Charter airlines and you'll find that they are often even cheaper in July/August when demand from their usual business passengers is at its lowest. Most US carriers will have special Business Class deals for the summer although it's a little early to see them yet. American are showing fares to Orlando at just under £1,700 from Stansted with a stop in New York and have their New Generation Business Class flat beds on that route.