Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Telephone Numbers

Florida Chatterbox

US Telephone Numbers

You will see adverts, information etc with Telephone numbers but these written using letters - ie 407 WALT DISNEY. All you have to do is look at the telephone key pad and you will see 3/4 letters on each key, simply hit the corresponding letter and it dials for you. Tricky to get used to, same theory as using your mobile to send text messages on your mobile.

Gold 5 Star Member
    For those of you who have been to Florida some time ago and not returned recently, you used to be able to dial a 407 number without using the 407 part. You now have the dial the whole number, ie dial the 407 as well as the following 7 numbers.

Blott

Florida Chatterbox
    Just to add, we have a phone in the house as with most villas and any 407 (I presume Orlando/Kissimmee) phone numbers are free as local calls are free in the US - hence all the teenagers have phones.

Disney is a 407 number so this is handy for ringing if you want check times etc.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not every 407 number will be considered a local call by the phone company. Some are what they consider to be "extended area" calls (not expensive, but not free).

With the LHD phones, only the very closest exchanges (first three numbers after 407) are considered local.

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:
    You will see adverts, information etc with Telephone numbers but these written using letters - ie 407 WALT DISNEY. All you have to do is look at the telephone key pad and you will see 3/4 letters on each key, simply hit the corresponding letter and it dials for you. Tricky to get used to, same theory as using your mobile to send text messages on your mobile.

I know many European phones don't have the letters on them. I think the letters started on U.S. phones because years ago the phone number started with numbers that corresponded (roughly) to your location. For example, I lived in the "Sycamore" area of New York City, and my phone number was SY2-2972.

The idea does come in handy. Our toll-free number for N. America is 866-MY-MOUSE. It's amazing how many people remember it.

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you're in UK and you see a toll free number advertised, you normally can't dial this from there but only when you're in USA. Much in the same way as a freephone UK number (0800, etc) which you can't dial whilst you're in the USA.

Blott

Florida Expert
    In Orlando the cel phone companies are now issuing 321 area codes for the cel phones. I use Sprint and they have literally run out of 407 numbers. 321 is Titusville. The home of NASA. 3...2...1... liftoff..... get it...? But it's still a local call in Orlando.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Florida Savvy
    gosh, any idea what number i should be using in america to call my mother back in england? she will want to know i arrived safe, it all sounds so complicated with codes and things! my mothers number starts 01752 so what would i need to put in fron of it to get through?
    kerry

Florida Chatterbox
    Just dial 011 44 1752 then the rest of her number and tell her what a great time you're having[msnwink]

011 44 1752 and her number i think this is correct!!
    Liesa