Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keys

Florida Expert

Keys

Now we have booked we are trying to deside how to spend the month, we want to go clearwater and then drive down to the keys, going to the last one and staying in different ones, so my question is has any one got any info on best places to stay!! 2adults and a 12 year old. We will be staying in Orlando some of the time, but thought this would make a change, we want to do something different, we stayed in Rotunda this year and loved it.

Florida Expert
    Clearwater to Key West is an extremely long journey. If you go south to Naples and then across to the east coast that is one very long day just on Interstates. The journey along the Keys is a wonderful trip, you do of course have to do the same road to come back.

I would seriously suggest, especially with a 12 year old, the length of the journey you think you are going to embark on.
    Clare R

Florida Expert
    Sorry I should have made it more clear, we will stay in Clearwater and then move on stopping off here and there until we reach the end and do the same coming back so wanted some ideas of good hotels and places to stay and things to see.

Gold 5 Star Member
    When you get to Key West, make sure that you see the sunset ceremony at Mallory Square, get your photo taken at the southern most point on the USA mainland, do plenty of shopping in Duval Street and take the conch train around the town for an unusual sightseeing tour. Then there's Ernest Hemingway's house with the six toed cats of course...
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    I stayed at the Manatee Bay Resort in September at Key Largo - it was a lovely hotel. About a 4 hour drive from Cape Coral (200 mile). It is newly built and I was very impressed.

My Aussie friend and I swam with the dolphins at Dolphin Cove which was about 1000 yards from the hotel - that was excellent and you may find that of interest whilst on your trip. Their website is http://www.dolphinscove.com/

I swam with them again just recently when my husband arrived - something I thought he would never do and he was totally awed by the experience. It is in a natural, not man made, lagoon.

Enjoy your trip and check out an online map service for directions or if you will be travelling down the SW coast then I recommend the 41 road along the Everglades and then turning right and go through Homestead. Let me know if I can assist with the directions I use to get to the Keys from the I-75.

Happy new year,

Chris

Rotonda West Gulf Coast Florida & East Sussex UK
    Hi Ravtino

I am pleased you enjoyed FL so much you are returnin.

This is a part of FL that I have not visited as yet so I can only wish you a happy holiday.

As Blott said do not miss the sunset ceremony at Mallory Square I have been told it is a must.

If you are travelling down the Gulf Coast side to the Keys, why not stop off at Longboat Key Sarasota for a few nights. This place is like Paradise, great shopping, fab restaurants and you have Siesta Key Beach a 5 min drive away which has in the past been voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world.
    Just a thought.

If your a water sports fan then The Keys is going to be the right place to head to. Scuba Diving, Snorkling, Sea Fishing etc. Plus why not try a Natural Dolphin Swin at Key Largo, we did and it was awesome.

What ever you do have a great time.

The Little White House at Key West is well worth a visit.

Liz

Florida Junior
    In the Keys visit the Hemingway House with the 6 toe cats.
    We stayed at a Bed N Breakfast for 3 nights for the Millenium New Year and it was great!
    At Mallory SQ. there is a guy who has cats jumping thru flaming hoops on fire!
    GulfCoveFL

Florida Chatterbox
    Below are some of the places I've stayed en route, although it depends on your exact journey.

Naples - Bellasera Hotel and Suites, just off Fifth Ave and ideally located for both shops, restaurants and a shuttle to the beach although we found it an easy walk. Cheesecake Factory is within a couple of minutes drive along with other well know chains.

Marco Island - The Hilton or The Marriott, on a beautiful beach and opposite bars and restaurants, we liked the Mexican Bar there but many others to choose from.

Key Largo - Azul Del Mar. Small property on a private beach, near to Dolphin Centre, Publix and other bars and restaurants. Our favourite was Hobos Cafe, sounds plain but it's actually very good food much like Mannys Chophouse.

Key West - Azul Key West. Again a small boutique property and convenient to everything. Would recommend Sarabeths restaurant on Simonton Street, one of the best meals I've ever had, anywhere!

If you can't find and need any of the websites just send me a PM and I'll give you the links.

Jill