Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gated complexes

Thanks for your replies

Gold 5 Star Member
    Whether gated communities are 'safer' than those without will mainly depend upon the quality of the system in place. In some very upscale and expensive communities, there will be strict security and uniformed patrols 24 hours a day and a complex system of entry to residents and authorised guests.

That, however, is very much the exception to the rule and most of the so-called gated estates are really not much more than a reception service. I'm frequently amazed by how simple it is, as a complete stranger, to just wave to the 'guard' and drive in.

Florida Chatterbox
    We stayed in Sunset Lakes and that community is gated. Would recommend it.
    L

Florida Expert
    We have stayed in many different communities and one of the last was gated - however it was open all the time we were there - why - a lightening strike had taken the power out or something, but we were told that some people got impatient and drove into them, so not always as safe as you think.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by millie
    L
    [/quote]
    Thanks Millie -as President of the Home Owners Assoc for Sunset Lakes, that thrilled me.
    For the rest of you - all of the communities are safe, but communities that are gated have another difference. They are run entirely by the residents HOA -if roads need replacing, the HOA deals with it etc. They are called Gated communities because they have no local council involvement, and are run privately. THis means residents pay out annual fees to keep their estates up to standard, and have great control over them. In the case of a holiday rental estate this is good, as the home owners ensure they are 'visitor friendly'
    However, I will reiterate that all estates are safe. NO estates REQUIRE uniformed security [and in any case, these are only of the ilk that are found working in security in the UK -you do the Math!] some may provide video cam surveillance etc.
    Again it is all down to the are you wish to stay in, the type of home and the qualities that are important to you.

Just to point out it is not just gated communities that are run by HOA's, any subdivision can be run by the HOA if the residents so wish and often do.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
    L
    [/quote]
    Thanks Millie -as President of the Home Owners Assoc for Sunset Lakes, that thrilled me.
    For the rest of you - all of the communities are safe, but communities that are gated have another difference. They are run entirely by the residents HOA -if roads need replacing, the HOA deals with it etc. They are called Gated communities because they have no local council involvement, and are run privately. THis means residents pay out annual fees to keep their estates up to standard, and have great control over them. In the case of a holiday rental estate this is good, as the home owners ensure they are 'visitor friendly'
    However, I will reiterate that all estates are safe. NO estates REQUIRE uniformed security [and in any case, these are only of the ilk that are found working in security in the UK -you do the Math!] some may provide video cam surveillance etc.
    Again it is all down to the are you wish to stay in, the type of home and the qualities that are important to you.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Just to point out it is not just gated communities that are run by HOA's, any subdivision can be run by the HOA if the residents so wish and often do.

L
    [/quote]
    Again it is all down to the are you wish to stay in, the type of home and the qualities that are important to you.[/quote][/quote]I disagree with this too. The county only pays for the roads and lighting on our community - all the rest, including the finances for this, is in the hands of the residents and it's kept up to a great standard.

We also have a security patrol who are a lot more vigilant that any gates could be, because they've got brains and know every house and car in our community! [msnwink]
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    We stayed at The Sanctuary West Haven last August and it was gated

in fact my kids would want gated again, just so they could reach out of the car window each time we return to punch in the access code [msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun

L
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Sorry, you are correct here Martin, BT as a gated community we HAVE to do all these things. With none gates, you don't even need to have a HOA if you don't want to! And you can get council help and council interference -so its swings and roundabouts there -however, none of that will be of interest to a holiday maker -as ccarcher says, its all about the button pressing