Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I Believe this site has been HACKED!

I also had problems with my computer over Sunday evening. I had been on OV and my pc started playing up (I'm not a teckie!!) My virus checker was going haywire and I ran a quick scan immediately then did full scan twice. Each time my virus checker said it had partially disabled a trojan killAV virus. But as soon as I switched the pc on the trojan virus re-set itself. Late Sunday I lost access to my control panel - I was denied access!
    Luckilly I switched off and was able to get my ICT tchnician at school to isolate the virus and repair the damage.

I was blaming myself for trying to have a Christmas avatar. The problems started a couple of hours after I successfully linked to a cute snowman & reindeer. Needless to say I deleted the link. Now I'm not so sure it was the avatar.

Guess who is now going to back all data up regularly [msnscared]

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette
    Am having the same problem could you please tell me what your ICT friend did. Not up much on this computer stuff but son says he will have a go Thanks
    Kim

Hi Kim

Sorry to hear that you have also had problems. My ICT technician installed spyware, bypassed my startup to remove the virus and cleaned the system up. He found an infected file called
    *winter.exe* and I noticed that Dave has also put a post up about the *winter* file and a few others. I've copied it below:

<span style="color:blue">If you go to the folder below

C:\WINDOWS\system32

you may find the following files at the top, if you sort it by date

proper.exe
    winter.exe
    bronto.dll

these are the ones it tried to install on my system this morning. It also tried to amend the startup file so that they would restart on each system reboot.
    </span id="blue">

Hope this may be of some help but I am sure there are many others on the forum who may be of more technical assistance

Bernadette

I've had no problems on OV although was denied access to the site at some time yesterday, but I got on later on and the snow caused no problems, but I am Mozilla.

However today I followed a link to a villa site asking me to register (for free) and immediately I hit the page my norton flashed up that it had stopped a virus. I wonder if the hackers have been busy on as many vacation rental sites as they could get onto for a while. This seems like the first time OV has been taken down that I can remember??
    Fiona

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
    This seems like the first time OV has been taken down that I can remember??[/quote]If I know John, I'll bet it'll be the last! [msnwink]
    blott

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    It was the first time and if I have anything to do with it it will be the last. They exploited a very obscure problem with the forum software that had only been identified a few days before. Needless to say this loophole has now been closed and we have given everything else a thorough going over to check if there are any other possible avenues of attack (there wasn't).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
    This seems like the first time OV has been taken down that I can remember??[/quote]If I know John, I'll bet it'll be the last! [msnwink]
    [/quote]

Florida Junior
    Did anyone else have trouble with the "Vodka and Red Bull Cake" joke?
    My computer froze up and I had to hold down the power button to shut it off.
    GulfCoveFL

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I'm not sure I follow - if it's a thread on our forums then there is no reason for any problems as we're totally happy the forums are working properly.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gulfcovefl
    Did anyone else have trouble with the "Vodka and Red Bull Cake" joke?
    My computer froze up and I had to hold down the power button to shut it off.
    [/quote]