Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gulf Coast on a Budget !!

Florida Newbie

Gulf Coast on a Budget !!

Hi Guys,

Fairly new to the forum. Did a fly drive to Florida a couple of years ago and travelled from Daytona right down to the Keys, which was amazing. However, we have decided that we want to do the opposite coast this year and we fly out on the 8th December. This time we are on a budget and therefore would like any advice on cheapest places to stay/eat etc.

I would also appreciate any advice relating to the places on the gulf coast i.e. are there any places worth missing out or places that are a definate must see !

This info is probably on the forum somwhere so sorry if it is....

Thanking you all in advance

BB

Florida Expert
    All the Gulf Coast is worth seeing but Short Term Rental properties are only located in a few areas, you'll be able to find them under Gulf Coast if you search back on the main site.

My personal preference is from north to south - Sarasota along with St. Armands Circle, Long Boat Key and Siesta Key with its beautiful sand.

Venice - olde world Florida, you're bound to see the dolphins at the jettiies

Englewood/Rotonda - where accommodation is available. A small town with plenty of shops and restaurants and the beach. Rotonda is largely a residential community but with rental homes.

Gasparilla/Boca Grande - upmarket area with lovely beach and fine lighthouse museum

Punta Gorda - revived since Hurricane Charlie hit in August 2004

Captiva/Sanibel - home of plenty of shells

Cape Coral - as many canals as Venice in Italy

Naples - upmarket town with beautiful shops and restaurants, well known for its sunsets on the pier opposite the end of 12th Street. The sunsets of course are the same anywhere but this is just where everyone goes!!
    Clare R

Florida Junior
    We have stayed on the Gulf Coast for the past 12 years, from my knowledge a lot of places are long term rentals and get fully booked with what they call the 'snow birds' i.e. people coming down for the winter months.

We usually stay in a condo near Sarasota and about 10 mins from the beaches.

Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Betty,

I think you will find that many of the snowbirds come down after Christmas around mid January, that has been oue experience & Rotonda West has plenty of short term rentals as do other areas.

I am sure you will find villas available try a general inquiry on the site & owners will respond.

As Clare says there is so much to see & do you will be spoilt for choice & the beaches on this coastline are some of the best in Florida.

Have fun choosing & really enjoy your trip.

Lynne

Hi Betty

I agree with Lynne that most 'snowbirds' stay at home for Christmas and come down in mid January for a couple of months.
    I am sure you will still find a villa available for the period you are looking for on this site.

Most of the Gulf Coast is lovely but if you stay somewhere like Rotonda you can easily drive south to Fort Myers, Captiva, Naples or north to Venice, Sarasota, Siesta Key in a day and still stay in a villa and be able to budget your costs by eating breakfasts in. If you eat early there are still plenty of places offering 'Sunset Specials'and it is worth looking at the local press for bargain days. Sam Seltzers in Port Charlotte for instance currently has a tasting menu on Tuesdays - bread, starter,main, dessert, glass of wine and a coffee for under $18.

Many of the villas do of course have BBQ's so you can quickly pick-up something on your way home.
    Maureen Green

Florida Junior
    I have noticed many Canadians visit our area (Rotonda/ Englewood) during the Christmas[xmas1] and New Year [cheers] holidays. Must be too cold outside up that far north for caroling!
    GulfCoveFL

Florida Newbie
    Thanks guys,

We were looking to stay in motels/hotels down the Gulf Coast, are there many available in each area or are there just villas?

Betty

Florida Expert
    Betty - there are very few hotels/motels down the Gulf Coast. There are a smattering of Days Inn and Best Western but can be counted on the fingers of one hand. To get the real feel of the Gulf Coast I really do recommend you spend time in a villa.
    Clare R

As Clare said here are some hotels on the Gulf Coast but many of the budget ones tend to be beside busy roads. If you pay for a better quality one you are not far off of the price of a villa and you have the entire house to yourself as well as your own pool to relax by if you want a quieter day.
    There is also the advantage that you can be up quickly and off to explore new areas without having to pack/unpack each day.

Mo
    Maureen Green

Also staying at a hotel/motel can work out as a false economy as you still have to eat out for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Going to the restaurants for every meal can add significantly to your overall costs.

If you stay at a villa you can cater for yourself eating as and when you want. When you do want to eat out - take advantage of the "Early Bird Specials" mentioned by Mo.

Bernadette