Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Florida Junior

Hello everyone!

Hello! So glad to have found this forum - if only to reassure me that I've been sensible so far!

We're off to Orlando on July 27th for 2 weeks - our daughter has GCSEs or we wouldn't have chosen the height of summer. We've never been to the US before so it's a bit in at the deep end. When we go our daughter will be 16 and son 14.

Quickly decided on a villa as the hotels all looked like identikit shoeboxes - for less money we could have a whole house and pool. I've spent weeks researching villas. At first I thought we'd have to book a package but realised we could book everything separately and get exactly what we wanted. We've booked at Lake Berkley.

Almost booked fly-drive with Travel city Direct but then read some reviews (gulp [msneek]!), then realised we had some air miles to use. It turns out that we can fly Virgin Atlantic using our air miles to reduce the cost and book car hire through the wonderful USCarHire and park tickets through another website all for less than TCD's total.

I think I've avoided the obvious pitfalls so far....any more I need to be careful of?

Thanks!
    Jane

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Jane, you sound very organised[8D]
    CDV

Florida Junior
    Believe me, I wish I'd been paid by the hour - we'd be flying at the front of the plane!!
    Jane

Gold 5 Star Member
    welcome to the forum Jane[msnsmile]

happy planning

Florida Expert
    Welcome to the forum Jane. You have done the best thing up to now. I think so many people think its all to much to think about but you have done all the hard work for now. Well done to you. I have stayed at Lake Berkley twice on our early visits to Florida. Its a nice site. Enjoy the rest of your planning. [msnsmile2]
    Nikki D

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum. I hope you have a fabulous trip. Once the bug has bitten though!!!!!
    Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    Welcome to the forums Jane. It sounds like you have almost everything planned but wait until you start reading all the trip reports on these forums and you'll find you want to visit other places other than the parks.[msnwink]

We were hit with the Florida Bug after staying at Lake Berkely, it's a lovely resort and centrally located.
    Paula

Florida Expert
    Yes, Jane this is a very good forum for information and to ask questions.

Welcome and I hope you will enjoy what Florida has to offer........a great holiday for all the family

[msnsmile][msnsmile]
    Linda

Florida Savvy
    Hello Jane, for a first timer you've done very well so far. The best bit of advise I'll give you is explore this site thoroughly. There is an answer for almost every question you have right here. This is the best place for all things Disney. Also, wear broken in trainers and thick soled socks............ golf socks were the best for me. That was one of the best tips I ever got. Have fun exploring and planning. [msnsmile2]
    Helen

Florida Junior
    Thanks very much everyone - I love doing research for holidays - whatever did I do before the internet?

As far as footwear is concerned, I thought I'd probably wear Teva sandals - I have a wonderful pair of Terra FI's that I've worn constantly in the summer for the last few years - they've been great in the Caribbean and also in Turkey in August (serious heat!) Do you think they'd be OK?

My daughter thinks she'll wear Converse All Stars all day but I'm trying to persuade her that her feet will get VERY sore and then we'll all suffer as a result. Comfort must win over fashion every time!

One thing that concerns us a bit is the driving, although we've driven on the right often enough. By coincidence, although we'd never been to the States before my husband has just left on a business trip to visit Microsoft in Seattle. He'll be taxiiing around everywhere so is going to pay very close attention to what goes on on the road (I know some driving rules are different in different states but I imagine the principle is the same!)

Forums are addictive - must go to bed now!

[zzz][zzz][zzz]
    Jane