Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Nervous Flyer

Florida Savvy

Nervous Flyer

Mum will be coming to Orlando with us next month. She is 72 and has never flown long-haul before. She is getting quite apprehensive about flying and I wondered if anyone could recommend anything that could help her.

Many thanks.

Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Julie (mach2) on here is ex cabin crew so can give you lots about flying and reassurance of how safe and such, i'm thinking your mum may like to read the topic to see what she and other forum users will say to reassure

i'm normally stresed when flying for other reasons (the kids) and take "kalms" available from boots and other chemists they are just herbal but still best to check with your mums regular gp to see if he's happy first, he may have some suggestions or help with other medication

My Mum used to take Kalms before a flight [and trust me she is a nervous wreck!!] and it even got her throuygh an emergency landing once, very calmly- she takes lots of medication too.
    Also someone once recommended Bach rescue remedy - haven't tried it though.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have just come back from a trip to Florida when we took a friend who was very nervous about flying! For her, take-off and landing were the worst!
    She got valium prescribed by her GP. I had to talk to her all through the take-off and landing (which wasn't difficult[chatter]) and she coped fine.
    Christine

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for your help, we'll give Kalms and Bachs a try.

Cheers

Sue

I can strongly recommend th Bach's rescue remedy.....brilliant!

Liz

Making your Mum feel in familar surroundings will also help, maybe some trips to the airport before hand and a fear of flying dvd may also help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Witho.../dp/B000KGGP44

the above advoce is all good too and if she is really bad a gp visit beforehand for some mild sedative may be appropriate[msnwink]

Is it that she is frightened of flying, or just worried about the unknown? As Julie says, a trip to the airport could help. Does she have someone to take her to the airport and take her through the check in process? It may be possible to arrange for someone to walk her through security (I assume she is able bodied and able to walk to the gate)
    Talk her through being on the plane and what to expect with the order of service. The fact that there is more than one aisle means she can easily get up to use the toilets or stretch her legs. Have a look on this site for instructions as to how to fill in the customs and immigration forms
    Shirley

Florida Expert
    I'm a nervous flyer, especially with landing and take off, I get very motion sick and don't like the dropping sensation you get in the air, Julie (Mach 2) Gave me some great advice about best places to sit on the plane (in front of wings) I emailed Virgin beforehand and explained my situation, we were given bulk head seats[msnsmile2] I didn't feel a thing (well hardly) On take off or landing, not sure if it was where we were sat or just the luck of the flight, but these are the seats I will go for in future, if not bulkhead, then as close to front of plane as poss[msnwink]
    Thanks again Julie[bowwave][bowwave][high5]
    vicky

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jovi
    I'm a nervous flyer, especially with landing and take off, I get very motion sick and don't like the dropping sensation you get in the air, Julie (Mach 2) Gave me some great advice about best places to sit on the plane (in front of wings) I emailed Virgin beforehand and explained my situation, we were given bulk head seats[msnsmile2] I didn't feel a thing (well hardly) On take off or landing, not sure if it was where we were sat or just the luck of the flight, but these are the seats I will go for in future, if not bulkhead, then as close to front of plane as poss[msnwink]
    Thanks again Julie[bowwave][bowwave][high5]
    [/quote]

Ah thank you! You are very welcome[grouphug]