Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Anyone used Visa Electron PrePaid Card?

Florida Chatterbox

Anyone used Visa Electron PrePaid Card?

Used the American Express Visa Pre Paid Card last year and worked really well, accepted in all stores and accepted at all ATM's.

Now, as AmEx have discontinued their PrePaid Card, was looking to see other companies that have it. Post Office do one and so do Going Places, Thomas Cook bring theirs out in November. The one that the PO and Going Places have is a VISA ELECTRON not just VISA, and i was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not the ATM's in Orlando and stores accept the ELECTRON.

Thanks
    Angela

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lots of place in the UK , online etc WONT take Electron. I know because my daughter has one with her current account and it is often not accepted. I was told by Going Places (who incidentally DONT accept Electron) that it because it is easier to stop a payment with Electron (like a cheque) than it is other debit cards.

I asked them if they thought about going back to the Head Office and see if they have noticed the irony of the fact they are pushing a card which they themselves would not accept if you tried to pay with it.
    Babblin Boo

We will not take electron as it is generally used by people who are refused credit and I have a few try it on with charge backs. It will not work with most USA terminals either.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    Lots of place in the UK , online etc WONT take Electron. I know because my daughter has one with her current account and it is often not accepted. I was told by Going Places (who incidentally DONT accept Electron) that it because it is easier to stop a payment with Electron (like a cheque) than it is other debit cards.

I asked them if they thought about going back to the Head Office and see if they have noticed the irony of the fact they are pushing a card which they themselves would not accept if you tried to pay with it.
    [/quote]

Administrator
    Many places in the USA will say they take Electron (as it has the Visa logo on it) but when you try to take the payment, it will then decline. I would strongly recommend against relying on an Electron card in the USA.

The Visa Debit cards (not Electron cards) that many banks issue with your current account are fine and work in more or less the same way by debiting your current account provided it is in credit (or not below an overdraft limit), so we always recommend this for anyone that does not have a credit card.

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

[/quote]

Blimey ....thats mad...hopw can they push the Electron when they wont take it themselves??

I beleive Barclays do the PrePay Travel Card now....i dont think thats Electron but will have to enquire....

Thanks all
    Angela

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Lastminute.com also do a prepaid card as well as Virgin , just put in prepaid credit cards into google and you will see a list of them , do check however the charges as some are better than others .There is one company that does a prepaid GOLD visa Mastercard , it costs either 4.95 per month to use it [for as many tranactions as you like ] or you can opt to pay 1pound a tranaction if you are only going to use it once or twice , I didn,t want my kids to get into debt with credit cards ,so I ordered one of these cards for them and put $500 in as a xmas present , they then can top it up at any post office or pay Point sign in some shops . My oldest son even gets half his wages paid in direct by his employer , that way he can only spend his own money but still have the look of a Gold Mastercard