Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: There is a Gator at the bottom of our garden!

Florida Expert
    I hear Martin is quite good at removing snakes. Only joking Martin . I know you have had enough of snakes in your time.
    Jeff & Dallas Myers
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/256.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by esprit

If it is more than four foot, the gator patrol will take it away, John. However I used to think that they re-located them away from houses, but I have heard that actually something happens to them that you as a veggie might not like to think about!!! We have quite a few gators in Celebration, though the biggest is only about three foot, also racoons, deer and armadillo. I have heard that there is a bear ( from a reputable attorney!!) though I have yet to see that!!!
    Our Racoons are always in our rubbish....they make a mess of anything not tied down....the skunks clear our grass of the Japanese beetles but leave huge holes everywhere....but I really love them they are smelly but so cute.....the foxes here are very ugly unlike our English ones...we also get deer running up the street with cops trying to catch them....thats very cool and funny....
    I've also heard they kill large gators....maybe its a lot to do with where their reported...and why their reported.....

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by esprit

Same thing happened to the big gator who used to live in the lake on Eagle Pointe. Gator patrol came and hooked it out. I forgot about the wild boar, there are supposed to be some of those around Celebration too. Honestly, I have heard the tall bear story from two or three Celebration residents, Carla. Have you heard the same??
    Maybe they're drop bears.......[)]

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

Shazbat
    That's sounds a bit dangerous to wait and see what happens, it may not do any harm unless provoked but if you get children around with sticks etc they are sure to start poking it, and not only could it prove fatal for them , you could be hit with an extremely big lawsuit, I would imagine, especially as you have said you know about it's existence. I think I'd have to get pest control or someone to remove it for my own peace of mind. I'm sure they could find it a good home.
    I agree....I'd have any snake removed ...a lawsuit is something you really don't want in the USA.....

Gold 5 Star Member
    Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

So, if you want to be kind to alligators, don't feed them as that way, you can save them in their natural habitat.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by blott

Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

So, if you want to be kind to alligators, don't feed them as that way, you can save them in their natural habitat.
    Good point blott....you'd not catch me feeding any wildlife apart from birds.....with a bird feeder....some everyday foods can kill wildlife ...I've heard tuna can kill skunks.....

Florida Savvy
    quote:Something that no-one's mentioned so far is that it is illegal to feed alligators plus all sorts of other Florida wildlife, including sand hill cranes, etc.

It really beggars belief on why anyone would want to feed them I love to look at them as much as the next but to feed them you have to be verging on insane
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    Oh, you'd be surprised - we've often seen (and told off!) guests from the UK staying at other homes around our rear lake feeding alligators and other wildlife when we've been staying at our home. We've even seen one guest encouraging a small child to get nearer to the water to throw bread! [:O]

People on holiday sometimes seem to leave their brains behind and think the alligators are 'cute' but forget that they can run at 30 mph (a lot quicker than any of us humans) and have all those pointy sharp teeth!
    blott

Florida Savvy
    Caroline

My house is just down the road on Calabay and my last guest from last found an 18'' snake in my master bedroom[:0].I'm glad he didnt mind snake's
    Mark

http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-464.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    When we were there we did walk around the lake, didnt go too near the edge though. We had
    those cranes all over the place, but Sam didnt like them much. They did come up to the screen
    most days but apart from taking a few photos we just ignored them.
    Chrisj