Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWIMMING WITH MANATEES. BALLOONS AND WHATS NEW!!!!

Florida Junior

SWIMMING WITH MANATEES. BALLOONS AND WHATS NEW!!!!

hi all

getting on with planning our 2nd visit for feb this time with the grandparents in tow! wondering how much will have changed in 3 years.

my children aged 13 and 11 would really like to swim with the manatees having already done the dolphins
    Can anyone recommend a paticular place ?
    looked back on the old threads but as it was 2005 wasn't sure if anythings changed.

also what about afamily friendly balloon trip as this also on the agenda .I know absolutely nothing about them, and to be honest i'm not sure i really fancy it!!!!

aNY IDEAS/INFO appreciated!!!!

thanks

Florida Expert
    Hi Jayne,
    Why not visit the 'Baloon Rides' link on the Orlando Villas tool bar?
    I don't really know up to date information on Swimming with Mantees but if you type it into google you will find lots of information.
    You will find many changes such as more communities, shops, restaurants, improved roads etc. since your last trip. Have a wonderful trip.

Mike and Kath.

Hi Jayne, we went to Blue Springs State Park where you can swim in the river with the Manatees BUT you can't interact with them or touch them, if one comes near you you have to swim away, but you can get fairly close to them and if you take goggles look at them under water too. It really is a beautiful park.

Have a good one.

Diane

We went to Homosassa State park a few years ago and had a lovely day. You don't swim with the Manatess but you get to learn about them. They also have river trips near by, which you can get to go in the water and from what I have heard the manatees come up quite close, but we did not have enough time to do that.

Gold 5 Star Member
    the balloon rides look great and there's some fab pics on here

i'd give it a go without any hesitation but dh says no[msnsad]

you don't say when you are going but there's a new aquatica water park being built at the moment i think it will be ready april 08

there's a few tours you could do with the kids at seaworld, like saving a species and the polar expedition, we did this earlier this year and the kids loved it, the cost was very reasonable, the guide was very informed and answered questions no matter how silly, it's always my child who asks the most inappropriate question, wanting to know about their poop[msnembarrased] some trivial information is that we told to stand at the side of the penguin to touch it as when it poops it shoots it backwards up to 50 foot[msneek]

Sounds as though you are planning a great trip, enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Sandra

You will see lots of things changed and only for the better .
    Hope you get to see the mantatees at Hommasssa Park they look after the injured one as some get cut with the boats on inland water ways .
    Enjoy your next stay .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

We were on Siesta key beach in April, and a Manattee swam past, everyone scarpered out of he water, they tought it was a shark, not me, I put my goggles on and swam out to it (not pc I know) got to within 6 feet of it, it was HUGE! it swam away gently. Made my holiday it did. It's the second time I've seen one wild. Don't hesitate to do it Jayne.[msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Macka

I know the temptation is strong but please, please don't swim towards manatees in the wild like that if you're privileged enough to spot them again. They will let you know if they're OK with your company by coming near to you. I've seen beach patrols fine others doing similar things.

Hope you take that plea in the spirit it's intended.[msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    [website link edited]

i've checked the sponsored links and it looks OK? to post the website link

this is not swimming with the manatees but looks like a good place to visit[msnsmile]

i think, but not 100% sure that it's unlaw to interact with both the wild dolphins and manatees in the florida waters (i can vaguely remember reading about it when i was looking at boat tours) if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will come along and correct me, that's maybe why the beach patrols fine people