Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving in orlando.

Florida Newbie

Driving in orlando.

going to orlando in two weeks and so excited. my boyfriend is very nervous and hesitant about driving though as we have rented a car, is it as scary as it seems?!
    [user or own name only please]

Hi Faye,

The driving won't be a problem at all I'm sure. I drive there all the time and find it much easier than in the UK. The roads are that much bigger and all the cars are automatic. Tell him to take it easy at first and get accustomed to the controls etc; before leaving the airport then it will be a breeze.

Have a great time!
    Linda

There is nothing to be worried about!

Make sure your boyfriend familiarizes himself with the controls before you leave the garage.
    Check out your route so that you know where you are going, stick to the speed limit and you will be fine.

The roads are wide and so are the parking spaces so manoevreing is easy.

My son is 25 and he drove over there for the first time this year, there was just him and his wife, no one to help him out and he was fine[msnsmile]

Have fun

Liz

Driving is fine. It is probably wise to stick to the quieter roads until you are familiar with the car and driving on the right. We always recommend using the 417 as the route from Sanford. Just remember to have some small notes or change for the tolls.

Have a great time

Lynne
    Lynne

Driving in FLORIDA is a better thanin UK they do not seem to be rude and we have not had a problem as long as you keep your speed in check as they have on the spot fines .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683

I hate driving in the UK, but had no choice on my last Orlando trip as my husband had to work at the last minute. I had a wonderful time though, the roads are so wide, it really wasn't scarey at all....even though I was having sleepless nights in advance As Lynne said the 417 toll road is a great route to the Disney area and avoids much of the busier I4, which is better for your first day.
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    Trying to think back to what I found confusing when I first started driving in the states.

The road signs East/West or North/South took a while to get used to until I realised that that were that way because of the way the roads were on the map of Florida if that makes sense.

To navigate the roads you need to have a rough idea of where places are on the map. Rather like travelling on the tube when you are given the end of the line station on the platform next train approaching sign.

There are a couple of places where first time travellors could go wrong so if you explain further which airport you will be arriving at and where you are heading for further advice can be given.

Most roads have indication lines to guide tourists when turning left, I used to follow the car in front to make sure I stayed on the right.

Don't forget that you can turn right at a red signal if the road is clear unless there is a sign telling you not too.

Lastly on some automatics you can't turn the ignition on unless you have your foot on the brake pedal and you can't take the key out unless the car is in nuetral/park

Driving is generally easier in Florida, the roads are wider, the car parking spaces are wider and a lot are at angles set to drive straight into them.

When I first started driving abroad the thing I needed to remember was when turning left, make sure you are on the right hand side of the road you have turned onto. Most largish junctions have arrows or filter lanes to make this easy.
    Regards, Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    My husband finds driving in Florida so much easier than in the UK.
    Maybe consider hiring the sat nav http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx at least it will take out the worry of which way to go, especially if this is your first visit.
    Paula

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Would you recommend hiring sat nav as opposed to road map?
    We are arriving at Orlando International airport and staying at :- 3000 Bonfire Beach Drive Kissimmee, Florida 34746, if anyone could suggest a good route for 1st time driver that would be brilliant.

Faye
    [msnsmile]
    [user or own name only please]