Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving in orlando.

I also think sat nav would be a great help to you, though you can look at google maps for good directions. You should leave the airport by the south access road taking the 417 towards tampa. Leave this at junction 6 535/536
    Shirley

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I agree with all the other comments-Driving in this part of the States is a pleasure and far easier than the M6 on a Friday afternoon!! Aye Caramba!
    Anyway the only points that I would make relate to odd things like your handbrake being controlled with your foot-and how to release it-took me days to figure!
    Also-the exits come up on you very quickly-my tip is don't rush and most of all if you miss your turn off (you will) don't panic about it.
    Remember that you can turn right at most junctions on a red, using them as give way rather than stop-the peson behind will remind you though!

Florida Chatterbox
    After you pick up your car from parking area follow way out direction and once on road you will see boxes up high showing the different roads out of airport.
    As Shirley says the one you want is the south exit road 417 florida greeneway. Get into that lane and as the sign says you are exiting the airport from the south and you may even see an areoplane going over one of the bridges you pass under. Travel down this road for a couple of miles and look for a sign for Disneyworld next exit this will take down a slip road onto the Florida Greeneway this is a toll road and you will need some low denomination $ to use so make sure you have change as they don't like to change large notes. I think you will exit at or after the second toll 535/536 and should be paying $1 at each toll.
    After you exit the 417 you will be on 536 and at the second set of lights you will need to turn left onto the 535, there are two slip lanes for cars turning left. This is a large junction and you can't miss it as on the right hand corner you will see a large hotel the name escapes me at the moment and on the left you will pass a Ponderosa restaurant a little way back from the traffic lights.
    Follow the 535 down until you reach a T-junction and that is the Irlo Bronson Hway or more commonly known at 192. This road is divided up into Mile Markers, I stay in Bass Road which is by a Walmart and is near to MM15. I would turn left onto the 192 as the T-junction is around MM12.
    I've not heard of the road where you are staying so am unable to help further. The villas I stay in are all in the 34746 zip code but it does cover a large area.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hempfiltered
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Would you recommend hiring sat nav as opposed to road map?
    We are arriving at Orlando International airport and staying at :- 3000 Bonfire Beach Drive Kissimmee, Florida 34746, if anyone could suggest a good route for 1st time driver that would be brilliant.

Faye
    [msnsmile]
    [/quote]

Try this link to google maps:-

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1

Oh and picking up from a comment from another post, not all handbrakes are foot operated as stated. There ia a mixture of both out there.
    For instance the very commonly used PT cruiser has a normal handbrake.
    The Pacifica has a foot operated "handbrake", which you apply by pushing down with your foot and then release by pulling a lever.

On the subject of handbrakes, most people don't use one anyway as the car applies its own brake when put into "P" park. When you are on a hill you don't need it as the car will keep creeping forward if you release the foot brake.
    Neil & Kay

I have just returned from Orlando and would agree that a sat-nav is great & got me to & from places without relying on a map (and someone to read it). Watch the toll roads as some exits are "sun-pass" only! Driving is much easier than in say spain due to the wide roads, but be aware that they over AND undertake you! I found the attached link useful as it explains the road markings & regulations http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool....ooks/driver/en
    Enjoy its a great place and very friendly - you really won't have any problems.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
    Anyway the only points that I would make relate to odd things like your handbrake being controlled with your foot-and how to release it-took me days to figure![/quote]Florida is pretty flat, I don't bother with the handbrake, just leave it in park.
    Regards, Mark

Florida Chatterbox
    Gaslet have just read some of the booklet you quoted makes interesting reading.

A couple of other points that might come in useful for all drivers especially someone like myself who has an old style license without a photo. You must carry some form of photo id, if stopped by police they want proof that it is your license. Also do not remove your seatbelt when you have been stopped, wait until they ask you to get out of the car and then remove it otherwise you will get fined.

Florida Newbie
    I concur with the above and would like to add that the road names/numbers on high level gantries across crossroads confused me at first until I was told - repeatedly - that they refer to roads running right to left and are NOT an indication that you drive straight on.

I like roundabouts and miss them, as U-turns are dodgy at times and I've never seen so many traffic lights! Still, on balance it's easier and much less crowded than here.
    Redeye

Florida Chatterbox
    I also got confused with these signs when I first drove down International drive to the Belz Mall at the end. I kept turning when I reached the main junction as I thought the sign overhead meant that the road ahead was Oakridge Blvd and as the sign to the right said International Drive I thought I had to turn right. I was going around in circles for sometime before I realised where I was going wrong.

I think the u-turns are ok most have slip roads so that you can get in lane and as long as the road is wide enough you can turn if not I go inside the shopping area and turn there.

Most cars over there also have automatic locking doors when you reach 15 mph you'll hear a click, you can open the doors from the inside but when you are stationery at lights the doors can not be opened by anyone outside the car.

I'm a regular travellor to Spain and some new cars have this installed but most don't so I have to find the lock button before I leave in the hire car. Distraction theft is very high there at the moment as it used to be years ago in Florida.

Florida Newbie
    Another good thing about Florida is that drivers let you in from slip roads, slowing down if necessary, and nobody seems to mind being cut up if you have to cross three lanes to make the next left!
    Redeye