Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California help needed

Florida Junior

California help needed

Hello all I hope all you experts can give my husband and myself the advice needed. Hubby wants to take me out of my comfort zone (Florida) next year and do California. As we have never been before we haven't a clue! Bought the guide books and there seems to be so much to see and do, can anyone advise us on the best way to do california or are we expecting too much by wanting to see it all!

We would like to take in Las Vegas - 4 days
    Possibly Santa Barbara
    San Diego
    Las Angeles
    Possibly stop at Boston on the way back to break the jet lag!

Any help and advice on itineries and must sees will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    What time of year and for how long are you going? I don't think you'll be able to do justice to all those in 2 weeks.

I'd also suggest that visiting San Francisco is a must do if you're in California

That is certainly a lot of places to visit if you are on a 2 week trip and quite spread out.

When we went it was our intention to visit all those places but we only managed Los Angeles, then drove to Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara. We then completed our trip in San Francisco. That was all before we got hooked on Florida but we are off to San Diego next year to a Convention so get to have a look around also. Las Vegas is still on my to do list.

A stop off is a great idea dependant on which airline you are with and which airport is their 'hub'.

Have a great time planning.

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    We did the trip in 2003 and flew into LA, stayed overnight there and in the morning started the drive up the coast, we drove up to Monterey, 1 night, San Fran for 3 nights, Yosemite 1 night, Vegas 4 nights, then LA for 6 nights. I would say it's only really feasible/enjoyable if you have more than one driver who likes driving as there were some quite long stretches.

I'd like to go back again as for other reasons I couldnt take it all in but we stopped at all the beaches you have mentioned for a short while on the way.
    Babblin Boo

3 years ago we did New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, a must see is San Francisco.
    Karen

We went a few years ago. Started in San Francisco - Yosemite (must do in my opinion) Mammoth - Death Valley - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Phoenix - Palm Springs - San Diego - up the coast to LA via Monterey - San Francisco. Not sure if that was the right order and I think I have missed some places out. It was a fab trip!

We really enjoyed San Fran, Yosemite and San Diego didn't like LA at all though. If you go to San Fran a visit to Alcatraz is a must in my opinion.

We spent 3 weeks in Califoria back in 1995. Flew to LA and then drove to San Diego and stayed 3 nights then onto Palm Springs for a couple of nights and then back to LA for about 4 nights. Then started our drive up to San Franscisco staying at San Luis Obispo, Monterey and Yosemite until finally arriving in San Franscisco from where we flew home.

If you can manage three weeks away, I would definitely go for this option. That way you can fit everything in without rushing and being on the road every day. Yosemite was wonderful but don't go too late in the season or the waterfalls may have dried up! We visited in May and the weather was beautiful. Other great places to visit are Carmel, Alcatraz and the 17 mile drive at Monterey. It was a lot of driving but it was worth it.
    Glenda and Geoff

We have been to CALIFORNIA twice has have family there .
    We stayed at CAPISTRANO AND VENTURA and we drove to LAS VEGAS from the home we were staying which was 12 miles outside of LOS ANGELES it took 4 hours to drive there and just before you enter LAS VEGAS there is a tourist office were they can book you in to which HOTEL you would like they close at 5 .00 pm .If you drive from LOS ANGELES save time to stop at PALM SPRINGS as you can go up a cable car it takes you up to a nature reserve worth the effort and cooler as you will find it is hot as near the desert .
    SANTA BARBARA is nice and best there is a BESTWESTON HOTEL on the front worth a visit The drive to SANTA BARBARA is to die for alsog the coast all the way like you see in movics.
    We went to a village in LOS ANGELES it was a NORWEGIAN and there are shops and cafes it is called SEVANGE not sure if this is spelt right but the AMERICANS will inform you were it is .
    SAN DEIGO is a long way down the HWY but you could stay over night and lots to see .
    We stayed at the HILTON for 1 night when we arrived in LOS ANGELES as a long flight and flew with AMERICAN AIRLINES they were very good it was via CHICAGO .
    Enjoy your vacation
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    We went to California in 1998 for three weeks. Flew into San Francisco and stayed there for four nights at the Hilton (which was conveniently at the end of the trolley run) before driving down to LA via an overnight stay at Monterey and stayed in LA for ten nights.

We then took a 5 night coach tour to Arizona, the Grand Canyon area, Painted Desert and then onto Las Vegas via Reno which meant that I could see the sights instead of having to drive, before travelling back to LA where we stayed a few more days before flying home from there.

Personally, I hated LA itself as it was such a concrete jungle and anywhere with 8 or even more lane highways just isn't my 'thing' at all. Loved the Grand Canyon area, it was awesome and fascinated by it all.

Couldn't wait to get back to Florida afterwards though! [msnwink]
    blott

Has anyone ever rented a house in Southern Cali, I would love to drive some of the Pacific Coast Road but I am not interested in the cities[msnsmile2]