Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Food Prices Sharply Up

Florida Chatterbox

US Food Prices Sharply Up

Just got this in on the news feed:

The Labor Department's most recent inflation data showed that U.S. food prices rose by 4.1 percent for the 12 months ending in June, but a deeper look at the numbers reveals that the price of milk, eggs and other essentials in the American diet are actually rising by double digits.

Already stung by a two-year rise in gasoline prices, American consumers now face sharply higher prices for foods they can't do without. This little-known fact may go a long way to explaining why, despite healthy job statistics, Americans remain glum about the economy.

Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.
    "They cite inflation?" Bush asked, adding that, "I happen to believe the war has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism."

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that egg prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the same period, according to the department's consumer price index, whole milk was up 13.3 percent; fresh chicken 10 percent; navel oranges 19.8 percent; apples 11.7 percent. Dried beans were up 11.5 percent, and white bread just missed double-digit growth, rising by 9.6 percent.

These numbers get lost in the broader inflation rate for all goods and services, which measured 2.7 for the same 12-month period. Across the economy, rising food prices were offset by falling prices for things bought at the mall: computers, cameras, clothing and shoes.

"All of that stuff is going down in price, but prices for gasoline have gotten higher, and food prices have gone up," said Mark Vitner, a senior economist for Wachovia, a large national bank based in Charlotte, N.C.

People also go to the mall a lot less than they go to the grocery store, so they're constantly reminded that dietary staples are up sharply.

Why are food prices rising?

It's partly because of corn prices, driven up by congressional mandates for ethanol production, which have reduced the amount of corn available for animal feed. It's also because of tougher immigration enforcement and a late spring freeze, which have made farm laborers scarcer and damaged fruit and vegetable crops, respectively. And it's because of higher diesel fuel costs to run tractors and attractive foreign markets that take U.S. production.

The Labor Department's last detailed survey of consumer spending, in 2005, showed that Americans spent about 12.8 percent of their income on food. A bit more than 7 percent of their income was spent on food at home, and 5.7 percent was spent on food away from home.

These percentages suggest that higher food prices, while unwelcome, won't break the bank for most consumers. But for retirees such as Jacqueline Wilson, 60, of Upper Marlboro, Md., rising food and fuel prices take a big bite out of fixed income.

"I make every dollar count," said Wilson, outside a Giant supermarket. "I cut back. ... I get only as much as I need. I don't buy it because it is 10 for $10, but so that I'm using it and not wasting my money."

Asked about her view of the economy, she answered, "Terrible."

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Interesting.

To be honest I never look at the price of everyday groceries when I am shopping in the States. If I am honest I have no idea what a pint of milk or a loaf of bread costs in this country either[msneek]
    CDV

Snap! I dont have a clue how much things cost, I just put them in the trolley[msnembarrased]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
    Interesting.

To be honest I never look at the price of everyday groceries when I am shopping in the States. If I am honest I have no idea what a pint of milk or a loaf of bread costs in this country either[msneek]
    [/quote]
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2185.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Karen I think its a case of needs must and if we like it we have it, I did say once I would look at cutting our normal weekly shoping bill as it was ridiculous for just the two of us but Andy was like "no way what do we work for"!!
    CDV

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
    Snap! I dont have a clue how much things cost, I just put them in the trolley[msnembarrased]

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
    Interesting.

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Snap us too [msnembarrased] We have noticed that our grocery bill does seem higher in the States than over here though, especially compared with other items such as clothing. We've decided it's actually cheaper for us (and less hassle) to eat out when in Florida. Well that's our excuse anyway

Gold 5 Star Member
    If milk, bread, or the rest of the staple foods cost £x or $x, then you have to have it whatever its price.

When we were in Florida in June, you could still get one of those yucky white sliced loaves (the too sweet ones) for 69 cents.

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I doubled my food bill when I first moved over here....my mum has a fit when she see the cost of everything...
    Everything here is expensive once you are paid in $$...

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
    [/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.

Florida Chatterbox
    We find that basic items like eggs, butter, chicken, barbecue sauce,flour, milk, some fruit and vegetables and of course "orange juice not from concentrate" are cheaper particularly if you buy them in larger packs from Sams Club .
    We make our own bread, its proper bread even though we make it in an electronic breadmaker it comes out real nice. Not like the sweet lightweight supermarket "bread" which we would not eat. If you can still find a proper bakery in Fl you will find that their bread is very expensive, but there aren't many left and you are going to have to burn gas to get to it unless you are lucky and live round the corner - something which doesn't happen much in the US with everything so spread out.

As far as other food is concerned if you want to buy anything that has been "processed" and put in a fancy box with a fancy name then it costs more than in UK.

I put the food prices here down to increased refrigeration costs due to the weather, shipping from a long distance and higher fuel costs, too many stores chasing not enough customers each, too much advertising.

Im sure without looking too hard I could find a similar report about food in the UK, due to the floods, overpackaging etc and we certainly don't have a bakers within walking distance either [msnscared]

I am doing my best to boost the Florida economy with my shopping trips [msnwink] When I see thoses fab blue skies, I have to say that all those things associated with everyday life just dissapear from my mind. It is such a great place to go and unwind [clap]
    Shirley