<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
[/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

I were going to be pedantic about it, I'd call those 'actual' savings.

[/quote]

It isn't a saving at all unless the meals are exactly the same.

What you had was 2 different meals on 2 different occasions in 2 different places in 2 different countries and can't be truly 'comparable'. The fact that 1 is cheaper that the other is inevitable but surely not a basis for a wider point that eating out in the US/Florida is always cheaper.

That being said, I would agree that where true comparison is possible (eg McDonalds etc..) the US prices are generally lower but it certainly isn't true across the wider range of eating out. I could give you plenty of examples but I feel fairly sure we eat at different places.[msnwink][/quote]Both of the meals were exactly the same food components in the UK as we've eaten in Florida, which is the reason I said they were comparable.

No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink]