Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: US Food Prices Sharply Up

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak

Then of course we could go rural and look around E Lake Toho around Narcoossee or even out to Kenansville but there just arent many of the sort of homes like we would like there although its delightfully rural.

[/quote]

Sounds wonderful though.
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    I like living in STR...well now its mostly locals...if I have partying neighbours its only for a few days...but so far we've only had one night of people being in the pool late...

OOps we are going a bit off topic here
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    Food in the USA is expensive to those of us living here...and not to people here from places like the UK...apart from my mum...who moans about her shopping bills here all the time...

Anorak

You certainly used to eat in all the best places - Ponderosa, Golden Corral[msnwink][msnwink]

I am pleased you are more affluent now and able to try other places occasionally.

Sandra

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    if you holiday to FL from within the USA you should find Orlando a cheaper place to shop than most places up North...my food bill is half the cost..eating out can cost more...we have more offers up here...which I've yet to find in Orlando...
    [/quote]
    I have to disagree. We moved here from Ohio (Dayton) and found our grocery bill was significantly higher. Ever fresh produce was more expensive, including Florida Citrus!
    Florida is not a cheap place to live when you take into account insurance, food, utility bills.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    if you holiday to FL from within the USA you should find Orlando a cheaper place to shop than most places up North...my food bill is half the cost..eating out can cost more...we have more offers up here...which I've yet to find in Orlando...
    [/quote]
    I have to disagree. We moved here from Ohio (Dayton) and found our grocery bill was significantly higher. Ever fresh produce was more expensive, including Florida Citrus!
    Florida is not a cheap place to live when you take into account insurance, food, utility bills.
    [/quote]

Thats why I said you should find and not you will find..and most and not all...

Florida Chatterbox
    Citrus varies hugely with regard to the season - by June its got very scarce. We actually found the Big Orange, although it looks like a tourist trap, on 192 sometimes have good prices on quantity of citrus.

Even then we found it costs twice as much to squeeze your own juice as it does to buy the Grove squeezed fresh juice in the 64oz cartons at around $2.50 or so.

And the juice you squeeze yourself doesn't always taste as good as the commercial product either, most disappointing.
    We tried all sorts of juicers, first the expensive electric ones and found them disappointing in the quantity of juice they produced, much was wasted in wet pulp, and a long awkard cleaning time.
    If you want to squeeze your own - like if you have citrus trees in your yard - then we found the old fashioned manual lever shiny cast metal citrus press was the best, at around $20 to $40 depending where you buy them. We bought ours on Ebay as we couldn't find one in a Fl store. We probably just didn't go the right store.

As fara s eating out is concerned the tourist area in Orlando is cheaper than locally for us, more offers and I guess more competition.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak

As fara s eating out is concerned the tourist area in Orlando is cheaper than locally for us, more offers and I guess more competition.
    [/quote]

Where is home in Orlando Angela? I ask as I like to live like a local and find the neighbourhood restaurants normally good value too.
    CDV

Florida Chatterbox
    Would you say food prices have become reasonable now since 2007 or worse