Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Food Prices Sharply Up

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
    [/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

I were going to be pedantic about it, I'd call those 'actual' savings.

[/quote]

It isn't a saving at all unless the meals are exactly the same.

What you had was 2 different meals on 2 different occasions in 2 different places in 2 different countries and can't be truly 'comparable'. The fact that 1 is cheaper that the other is inevitable but surely not a basis for a wider point that eating out in the US/Florida is always cheaper.

That being said, I would agree that where true comparison is possible (eg McDonalds etc..) the US prices are generally lower but it certainly isn't true across the wider range of eating out. I could give you plenty of examples but I feel fairly sure we eat at different places.[msnwink][/quote]Both of the meals were exactly the same food components in the UK as we've eaten in Florida, which is the reason I said they were comparable.

No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink]
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 : 14:20:50

I think that's a pretty fair summary CDV. BTW - What's a Gastromist?

[/quote]

Edited by - Cruella DeVilla on 15 Aug 2007 14:19:37

KG Was editing it as you typed, I blame the long nails
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member

No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink]
    [/quote]

Vive la difference!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    No, I'm absolutely sure we don't eat in the same places. [msnwink][/quote]Vive la difference!![/quote]Oh yes indeedy.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I do find fruit does not keep well here...so I buy to eat that day...

Its a big money maker shipping fruit around the country...and we end up with goods that are not as fresh as they could be...

Florida Chatterbox
    Cruella, we are there 6 months a year so we don't eat out too much. We certainly enjoy eating out, we sometimes eat at the good restaurants at Busch theme parks as we get 30% off with employee family passes, or Smokey Bones while they are still in existence, no more Golden Corral or Ponderosa for us, too noisy for us oldies now.
    We probably don't spend as much on food in Fl as we do in UK, our utility bills are less and our gas bill is about the same as we have to drive further and our cars are thirstier although gas is cheaper.
    All in all its affordable although the property tax rise to 3 times what it was came as a big shock. And it can't be too bad as we are looking for a bigger home now they are coming down to a more sensible price.

Where are you thinking about purchasing Angela, obviously not in a STR area so what takes your fancy now that prices are coming down, I have seen some "bargains" whilst purusing myself?

(Ponderosa is a bad word on here I know not many folks will give it the time of day[sick] I am not a lover of the all you can eat unless it is somewhere like TDB or GLP)?
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    Are you thinking of moving on CDV...

We looked around when I thought house prices were at their all time high...so we could sell at a high and buy low...but I could not find any place I liked better than I already had...it fits all our needs...

Florida Chatterbox
    Thing is Cruella if we bought in an STR area we might actually get better value for the sort of home we want with large sq footage,the 2 masters etc. Would we like the constant changeovers every week or two and the constant partying? I don't know if it would be too bad really if we also had no rear neighbours, backing onto woodland, and a reasonable space between us and the neighbours to the side. Many STR homes have nice lots and good upgrades.
    In a residential area (non STR) these days its a help if you speak Spanish well if you want to interact with your neighbours and we are not fluent, but improving.
    Anyway I would look at down US 27, not too keen on even the Kissimmee side of Poinciana, parts of Kissimmee OK but getting a bit touristy for us.
    Then of course we could go rural and look around E Lake Toho around Narcoossee or even out to Kenansville but there just arent many of the sort of homes like we would like there although its delightfully rural.

We used to love Ponderosa near old town on 192, it was always good for us, never had a complaint at that location except it was often rather too full of noisy Brits! (LOL)

We quite liked the Golden Corral up on 535/I4 as well but definitely not the one nearer to us on 192, just plain wore out.

I guess we just got more affluent and outgrew them.

Cruising is our thing now, next one is Barcelona to Boston on the new NCL Gem, now if you like food that's the place to eat.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Are you thinking of moving on CDV...

We looked around when I thought house prices were at their all time high...so we could sell at a high and buy low...but I could not find any place I liked better than I already had...it fits all our needs...

[/quote]

Probably in time but not yet I still have a love affair with our place but always intended to move to Naples but way down the line, it depends how things go in the next few years, who knows?
    CDV