Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Food Prices Sharply Up

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have been having this discussion recently about the cost of fresh vegetables etc due to the bad weather and are increasing rapidly. Bread as well even the young lad who served me in ouor local shop a couple of months ago double checked because he, like me, noticed the jump from 73p for a loaf of Hovis bread to £1.03 overnight.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    The last thing I think about when planning a trip to the sunshine state is the cost of groceries......much more important things to think about,like:-
    should I lie of my stomach or back whilst sunbathing
    which restaurant tonight
    which park today
    florida mall or Orlando premium outlets[msnwink]
    Paula

Florida Chatterbox
    On the news recently they said that the increased price of wheat would increase the cost of a loaf by about 5p, other foodstuffs which include anything made from maize (lots of sweet things are made with corn syrup from maize) will also go up as maize has doubled in price as there is a big demand for it to make alcohols to add to gasoline as an alternative fuel.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
    [/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

I were going to be pedantic about it, I'd call those 'actual' savings.

There are some items in Florida that are more expensive than in the UK but not many. There will always be differences in another country's prices for some items.

But, for people going to visit Florida on vacation, then I think they would probably be surprised how inexpensive it can be, whether it's the overall supermarket shopping bill or for the cost for eating out. There's a whole lot more exciting stuff to Florida than concerning ourselves unnecessarily about the cost of food there.
    blott

I'm genuinely surprised that some people feel it is more expensive to eat out in the US than in the UK

I have always found it much cheaper, plus the venues are nicer, the staff are more helpful and the portions are bigger.

I've also found my overall supermarket bill to compare favourably with the UK, even though I tend to buy more treats when I'm on holiday (for the family, you understand, not for me [msnwink])

Before I used to visit FL so regularly, my credit card bill would often groan at the cost of eating out in Spain, Portugal or Greece, whereas it purrs quite nicely when I'm in the US.

Whatever ......... the place is fabulous, the restaurants are plentiful and varied, the weather is great, the attractions are fun, it's good value for money, and best of all, you're on holiday ..................................ENJOY!

Dianna
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2061.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    if you holiday to FL from within the USA you should find Orlando a cheaper place to shop than most places up North...my food bill is half the cost..eating out can cost more...we have more offers up here...which I've yet to find in Orlando...

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Angela you mention you go to Sams Club to bulk buy, is it a big saving on the general supermarkets? Do you live in Floirda on a full time basis or just have a holiday home there like Chrizzy and notice a difference as you are aso up North so to speak.
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by blott

When you can get a meal or 'fixings' in $s for the price we'd pay in £s, who's counting anyway? Like petrol/gas, prices have got a long way to go to catch up!
    [/quote]

I understand the point you make but, unless you eat out for all your meals at home, the 'saving' is more notional that actual. I'm not even sure I would agree that eating out in the US is that much cheaper that at home. Add the 9-13% tax and 15-20% tip and there really isn't that much difference.

I don't pay that much attention to grocery prices but I haven't noticed any great differences. If anything, I've found US prices to be marginally higher, particularly on good quality items.[/quote]We eat out in Florida for around $35 for two of us, for a main course, dessert and a soda or coffee each. That includes tax and the tip. Nothing spectacular, just an 'ordinary' meal.

We just had a comparable 'pub' meal in the UK which was £25 for two of us. Also nothing spectacular, just an ordinary meal.

Strawberries from Sainsbury's are £1.89 a punnet. In Florida they were $5 for two punnets, each comparable in size to the Sainsbury's one or maybe even a little larger.

I were going to be pedantic about it, I'd call those 'actual' savings.

[/quote]

It isn't a saving at all unless the meals are exactly the same.

What you had was 2 different meals on 2 different occasions in 2 different places in 2 different countries and can't be truly 'comparable'. The fact that 1 is cheaper that the other is inevitable but surely not a basis for a wider point that eating out in the US/Florida is always cheaper.

That being said, I would agree that where true comparison is possible (eg McDonalds etc..) the US prices are generally lower but it certainly isn't true across the wider range of eating out. I could give you plenty of examples but I feel fairly sure we eat at different places.[msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    I would consider myself a bit of a gastronomist and I do feel it is cheaper to eat out in Floirda. I am not a lover of the fast food type places so can't comment on those. I do prefer something a bit more upmarket generally and I have certainly found these to be cheaper.

On a more average sort of place take Mannys and a 9oz Filet Mignon for example where in the UK could you get this quality and size/thickness of steak with all the extras you get included/loaded into the price for the equiv of $17.48 what approx £8.74 (The 7 oz would be the equiv of £7.49 give or take a penny or two) and that is only two of a dozen examples I am thinking of at the mo?

Dont get me started on fish and seafood compared to the UK it is a steal.

For me the very bottom line would be the quality of the food and then the price. You get what you pay for to use the old cliche.
    When you are on vacation you generally don't give a monkeys and after all we are a vacation forum so most would not care about the price of maize.
    CDV

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
    I would consider myself a bit of a gastromist.

For me the very bottom line would be the quality of the food and then the price. You get what you pay for to use the old cliche.
    When you are on vacation you generally don't give a monkeys and after all we are a vacation forum so most would not care about the price of maize.
    [/quote]

I think that's a pretty fair summary CDV. BTW - What's a Gastromist?