Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: have lost our faithful old dog

have lost our faithful old dog

had our beloved family pet Arnie put to sleep very suddenly yesterday afternoon at 5pm,i cant sleep,my eyes are stinging like crazy, we had him since he was 7 weeks old, he was 14, he got up from his sleep around 4.15pm yesterday and kept falling over thought he was just off balance, took him for a walk on the green opposite our home as he couldve fallen down the steps out the back, he again went very strange outside, got him back inside and he kept fitting, very traumatic to watch as there is nothing you can do except reasure a blind and deaf dog you are there, we got him to a vet but had to stop on the way as he was having them just rolling into another and another, looked a crocodile doing a death roll, in the vets he just collapsed, i could hardly do anything for my sweet arnie as i cannot bend down cos of the knee and crutches, the vet said he could try and do something to help but wasnt sure it would help him, i asked if it was better to let him go to sleep, we felt it was kinder, i could never watch him go through that again, now its 3.30am and i am crying again........we have never been without a family dog he was there for me when the other old faithful died.
    have just seen his bed in the kitchen in the usual place and his food bowl and water bowl still sitting there, we cannot bring ourselves to move them........
    im heartbroken[msncry]
    Liesa

Oh Liesa, my heart goes out to you. it probably doesn't help right now, but you have done the kindest thing for Arnie. Time is a healer, but he is a member of your family. Thinking of you[grouphug]
    Dawn Murray

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I know how you feel Liesa, it is so heart breaking losing an old friend.

Time does heal, I know its hard to think of anything else but him at the moment. But you could always go to the RSPCA and give another young pup the chance of living a long and happy life, and the love that you and your family can show them, that you will miss doing this Arnie
    CERI

Florida Expert
    Oh Liesa I'm so so sorry for you. We have two dogs and dread the day anything happens to them. I hope your a little better today. Just think Liesa how lucky are four legged family members are, If they do get to a stage that their really ill we always do right by them and end their pain. You did all you could for little Arnie. Keep your chin up Liesa x
    Nikki D

Florida Chatterbox
    I know exactly what you are going through, loosing a dog really leaves a big void in your life. When mine died I realised that she was really ill but it still doesn't help ease the pain. I used to get really angry when I saw the signs in cars "A dog is for life not for christmas", in an ideal world it would be for your life not theirs. A year later I had to go through it all again when my 14 year old cat developed Kidney failure, tried various treatments but faced up to the fact that nothing was going to bring her back so had her put to sleep.

It was two years before I was coerced into having another pet, a cat that desparately needed a home, one look at the little kitten and we were smitten. If you've got one cat you might as well have two so eventually found another which needed a home. The former became mine while the later gravitated towards my husband. My cat was more like a dog, followed you everywhere even waiting outside the bathroom, at times it felt like my dog had been reincarnated in her.

We were out in Florida when we received a phonecall from my neighbour saying they were worried about her and when we returned we took her to the vet but there was nothing they could do. Felt guilty about not being with her when she needed us so much but the pain has eased. She was 15 so not a bad age, but as both cats were born in the same year, DH is watching his beloved cat like a hawk. She's a typical cat who lives to eat and sleep, my neighbour reckons she won't die through over excerting herself and is more likely to go in her sleep.

A couple of weeks after my Mischief died, DH changed my screensaver to a photo he had found of her. At first I found it hard to look at her each time the computer loaded up but now I can smile and remember all the funny little things she did.

Time heals and when you're ready I'm sure you'll find another dog to care for.

Florida Expert
    Liesa
    So sorry to her your sad news. I don't know what I would do if we lost our pets. Thinking of you and your family.
    Rose

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2098.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Oh Liesa, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet - they're a part of the family. My thoughts are with you. It happened to me last year so I know how you feel. It will get better but you don't feel that right now.
    Take care - and take comfort that you did the kindest thing and he knew that you were there for him.

Carole

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss Liesa I feel for you as have lost oldies myself, I lost my old Sam last year at nearly 13 which is a good age for a Boxer and I brought him into the world myself, he was a friend and many a tear I cried on his faithful shoulders , so it hurts. Try to remember the good times you had with him as nobody can take those memories away. I have all mine in a local Pet cremetorium with a lovely garden and a page in their rememberance book, each one has had a special shrub planted and no matter where I am I know they will all always be there.
    Jean

Florida Expert

Liesa

Arnie had a good home and lots of care and love. You did the best thing for him and released him from suffering. It is hard after all it was a long time to be together.

Thinking of you today [grouphug]
    Linda

Florida Expert
    So sorry to hear about your pet Liesa,but you did the best you could for him,he gave you all a lot of love as you did him ,it's so easy to say to the vet yes do something for him,but you are really doing it for yourself ,it takes a brave KIND owner to let them go, all the best Liesa ,i have been down that road many times having had at one time 10 cats and a dog we are now down to three cats and one of these is not very well at the moment.

Love and hugs[grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug][grouphug]

Sheena.
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/40.aspx