Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Legs/glofers vasculitis

Florida Expert

Florida Legs/glofers vasculitis

My DH gets a rash on his legs from walking in heat. If he continues, over the coming days, this gets worse and then they start to swell and ache. We know it is the heat (as oppossed to sun) as we have walked at night, he has got hot and it has started. Doctor says this is what it is and there is no cure. Last Florida holiday it was very bad. Has anybody else experianced this? Not quite sure what to do as the only time we can go next year is in August!

Gold 5 Star Member
    ok so the doctor says there's no cure but have you asked about prevention or for advice with how to deal with it?

there must be something he can do to help himself, the doctors response seems to be a lazy/ not bothered one so i would either see another doctor in the practice or talk to the nurse and also ask the local pharmacy if there's anything they can suggest to help

Mizzy

Thank you so much for this post[msnsmile]

My sister and I both suffer from this every summer when we go hiking in the national parks of the US. It is extremely unsightly, very annoying and until your post we had no idea what it was.

I have just looked it up on the internet and there is nothing you can do to prevent it and it will improve of it's own accord.

This link
    http://walking.about.com/b/a/257665.htm

has an illustration of exactly how my legs look after a few days hiking!![msnsad]

Thanks for providing me with a diagnosis!![msnsmile]

Liz

Florida Expert
    No, having looked into this there really seems to be no cure. However he has been to a homeopath who has given him some pills to take when it starts. Unfortunately because the weather is so dreadful since he got the pills we have not yet found out whether they are going to work (he only went last week). We did wonder about going for 3 weeks, going back to the villa at midday for him to have a cool bath or swim and see if getting his temp down like that would help. Unfortunately it does mean going for 3 weeks

How about trying a cooling spray, like magicool or something?

I had this once in Florida when I was standing waiting for the parade at MGM and got very hot. I had used P60 sunscreen for the first time that day and assumed it was a reaction to that. I went to the Disney medical centre and they said it was due to overheating and to make I sure I didn't wear waterproof sunscreen unless I was actually going swimming.

I've never had a problem since but there again I've never used P60 again either. The cooling spray sounds like a good idea though.
    Julie

Florida Expert
    That sounds like it would be worth a try - obviously in addition to going for 3 weeks!

Now I have a name for this I have done a bit of research. One of the suggestions to relieve the symptoms is 1% hydrocortisone cream, easily available over the counter at the pharmacy.

Liz

Florida Expert
    Thank you for that. The pharmicist last year in Florida suggested that as she thought it was an allergic reaction. It didn't help DH but obviously might help some.

Florida Savvy
    I get this rash too,last year the pharmasist told me I had an allergic reation to being bit by a bug/insect. She recommended some burn spray made by Benedryl and this took the redness down.