Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insect bites............whats your cure?

Florida Expert

Insect bites............whats your cure?

I have been here since November now, and up to last week had not had one insect bite.
    [clap]
    Then we went to a BBQ for Idependance day and i got attacked by something. I counted over 20 bites, usually in small groupings of 2 or 3.[msncry]
    Since then i have been bitten a few more times this week.
    They itch like hell and feel like red hot pokers been driven into my skin.
    I tried an insect bite relief cream, no real effect.
    I tried an insect bite relief touch up pen, stinks like ammonia, no real effect.
    Went to the pharmacy and got told to use Hydrocortisone cream (No effect) and Benadryl tablets(antihistamine), they take the edge off but make me drowsy, so only use on night time.
    I read somewhere that ice cubes gave releif and can even nuetralise the poison. They give immediate short term relief in that they cool the surrounding skin and on a couple, they never itched again, on the rest it came back later.

So my question,
    What do you know that works, that stops the relentless itching of a bad insect bite?
    Or what strange old wifes remedy have you heard about or tried?
    Neil & Kay

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would say the bite are no see ums...my nan would use white vinegar on them...

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've read on here in the past about a pen looking device which you can get in Walgreens, if you dab it on the bites it stops the itch.
    Paula

Florida Expert
    Avon So Soft oil is the best thing - before you get bitten!!
    Clare R

Florida Chatterbox
    If any of you have ever had fireant bites you will know how painful these are and how after a day or two they go septic and pus-sy and leave a nasty little lump and scar.

I use some antiviral/antibacterial alcohol based hand disinfectant gel, doesn't matter what make,then sprinkle on some meat tenderizer powder which has the ingrediant of papain (papaya extract). And rub it into the bite site.
    The one which seems to work best is Adolph's, but others work too.

The sooner you use it the better, no sepsis, no scar, no pain after just a very short time.

Maybe it works on other bites.

I remember as a child rubbing the lumps of bicarbonate of soda on bites - it did take away the itching!
    Dawn Murray

Florida Expert
    Pure lavender oil; also repells insects and is very calming.Don't use any more than 5 drops at a time and ensure that you are not sold it in a carrier oil (diluted)

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
    I tried an insect bite relief touch up pen, stinks like ammonia, no real effect.
    [/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
    I've read on here in the past about a pen looking device which you can get in Walgreens, if you dab it on the bites it stops the itch.
    [/quote]

same thing or some-at different [?]
    tezz 7628

Florida Expert
    Prevention is better than cure, cover up, don't walk about in grass especially early in the morning and at night, use Avon skin so soft if you don't want to use chemicals, also citronella oil. Once you have bites it's just trial and error to see what works best for you [msnsad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    I would say the bite are no see ums...my nan would use white vinegar on them...
    [/quote]
    I have heard of that one too..not tried it myself mind[msneek]
    Surprised that a local pharmacy hasn't got exactly the "one" to work though? Good Luck !