Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: US - UK Dictionary

Gold 5 Star Member
    My son asked for tomato sauce in Orlando and was given a bowl of mushed up tomatoes.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
    My son asked for tomato sauce in Orlando and was given a bowl of mushed up tomatoes.[msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

That certainly wouldn't be what I was expecting! [msnscared]
    Teresa

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
    [/quote]

That certainly wouldn't be what I was expecting! [msnscared]
    [/quote]

Nor us Teresa but it did make him smile.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Florida Savvy
    oh gosh, im not taking a bumbag now! i would DIE of embarrisment!
    kerry

Florida Savvy
    Ah - the good old fanny-pack! Still causes much ammusement to my three daughters - and they're all in their 20's now. Sad really!

The 1st time we went to FL was a Christmas and I had to explain (even in the Downtown Disney Store) what Christmas Crackers were. Got a lot of blank looks and offers of nut crackers.
    I did actually see some this year in the Kitchen shop in Premium Outlets Mall - but it was November.

Alan

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1732.aspx

Florida Expert
    When my sister was here in Florida she was constantly getting into a confuzed state!
    She kept on talking about her Mobile. And her People Carrier. Turned out it was her Cel and her Mini Van!
    Her daughter, with her trendy London accent, mentioned a 'Fong'...? After some questioning she ment a thong!
    Being a Londoner myself I'm trying to change soccer to football. But It's getting very negative responses from the locals! "Football", I argue, "is a game where a BALL is kicked by a FOOT. Therefore, FootBall!" "No" they argue. "Football is our game and you Brits can play your girls game. soccer, but dont mess with our game!" This after they all secretly send their kids out on a Saturday morning to play soccer!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    When my sister was here in Florida she was constantly getting into a confuzed state!
    She kept on talking about her Mobile. And her People Carrier. Turned out it was her Cel and her Mini Van!
    Her daughter, with her trendy London accent, mentioned a 'Fong'...? After some questioning she ment a thong!
    Being a Londoner myself I'm trying to change soccer to football. But It's getting very negative responses from the locals! "Football", I argue, "is a game where a BALL is kicked by a FOOT. Therefore, FootBall!" "No" they argue. "Football is our game and you Brits can play your girls game. soccer, but dont mess with our game!" This after they all secretly send their kids out on a Saturday morning to play soccer!

[/quote]

jeff just remind them who invented the game, and then tell them we also have a game similar to American football, rugby, and no girlie pads either [msnwink]

Dave

Florida Junior
    I think there are several of US citizens on the forums. I know of several from Westridge Development, including us.

Blott you will find almost every state in the US have their own accent and even we have trouble with some of them. Where we live they use a lot of the Canadian slang.
    Beverly Fisher

My Mother used to get very annoyed at hearing Americans pronounce place names as they are spelt, Derby and Leicester being the ones that spring to mind. She would say they were English Lords and should be pronounced as they were originally. Even Princess Diana's Brother gave in on that one! I then reminded her that we pronounced castle differently from each other and that rather put paid to her point. She was from Hull and I'm from London.

For the Americans here, many English would pronounce the words Darby, Lester and a Londoner would be more likely to say carsul where a Yorkshire person would say castle
    Tessa

www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1529.aspx

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I am from Leicester and say Lester but a lot of people say Licester, we also prenounce Belvoir as Beaver, not being from London I would argue that if there is not an R in it don't say it ie Bath - Barth, castle - carsul except of course for tomato.[msnembarrased] Back to the american pronunciations, when in Rome, I say tomato, Deepo ext.
    Lyn