Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: US - UK Dictionary

Florida Expert
    Ive never heard anyone use the word HOB before. Power shower??? And I thought the word FREE was world wide for not paying and receiving for nothing.
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Rents wow! Thats a good one!

I say ressies, but thats an aussie thing I picked up from down under! I know what a hob is, but I never say it!

Potty is also a childs loo here in the Uk! It's quite funny when you consider that we desrcibe people as potty too!
    Tink

Gold 5 Star Member
    You have to laugh at al this,

Mind you like ive said before even in England we have the same problems. Im from London and
    work up north and have problems with the language
    Chrisj

Florida Savvy
    Power shower: a shower (bath not rain) with built in extra pressure- can be quite ferocious as opposed to a gravity powered gentle shower.

I once, on a camping holiday had problems when I needed a new bulb for my torch. I eventually found one but it was a push in one rather than screw in so I had to buy a new flashlight.

Hob is usually the top of the cooker and is when the cooker is built in rather than freestanding, so you can have them not all on top of each other if you get what I mean!

A power shower relates to the force of water - and is exactly as the words say! Never heard ressies myself, prezzies yes, referring to presents, usually christmas ones!

Fiona

Gold 5 Star Member
    Before I get into trouble again..I thought I'd best post some slang words about homes....

Edward Scissorhands........homes that look mostly the same....clean streets.....maybe the homes are painted bright colours.....middle class American homes......people out cutting lawns on a Sunday.....

Stepford.....Small town America.....clean.....rich people.....the American dream homes......New England homes in a sunny setting.....

Banjo county.......no real roads.......no street light...well you can guess we all sing the song from deliverance while going through a street like that......

Most of them are terms I've picked up from builders and kids here in the USA......
    So I hope no-one gets uppy if I use any of those terms.....I'm not being nasty.....it just things I've picked up over the last few years.....if its upset anyone....it could be because people don't use those terms where you live........

Florida Expert
    Never heard of Banjo county..we use to call that description either hick town or boon docks!! Now that one is cute
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Before I get into trouble again..I thought I'd best post some slang words about homes....

Edward Scissorhands........homes that look mostly the same....clean streets.....maybe the homes are painted bright colours.....middle class American homes......people out cutting lawns on a Sunday.....

Stepford.....Small town America.....clean.....rich people.....the American dream homes......New England homes in a sunny setting.....

Banjo county.......no real roads.......no street light...well you can guess we all sing the song from deliverance while going through a street like that......

Most of them are terms I've picked up from builders and kids here in the USA......
    So I hope no-one gets uppy if I use any of those terms.....I'm not being nasty.....it just things I've picked up over the last few years.....if its upset anyone....it could be because people don't use those terms where you live........

[/quote]

Glad for the explanation of Edward Scissor Hands, would never have understood what that meant [8D][8D][8D]
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Never heard the term "Edward Scissor Hands". We always called them "cookie cutter houses".
    Teresa

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bellaepovera
    Never heard of Banjo county..we use to call that description either hick town or boon docks!! Now that one is cute
    [/quote]

I only heard of Boon docks this last few weeks after watching the Boon Dock Saints.....is is a Boston thing...or used all over the USA......??

I think we picked up Banjo county on one of our road trips around the USA....my daughter uses it all the time.......