Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: US - UK Dictionary

Florida Chatterbox
    I agree with Tonish, they have their own way of telling the time and I have heard the ten of three before and I'm confused too.

Gold 5 Star Member
    On TV you do hear "five before the hour" or "twenty after the hour" because of course there are 4 time zones in the US. The one that always confuses me is when a TV programme is advertised starting at "Seven Eight Central" which I've always taken to mean 7 EST and 8 CST although I'm still not certain about that!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    On TV you do hear "five before the hour" or "twenty after the hour" because of course there are 4 time zones in the US. The one that always confuses me is when a TV programme is advertised starting at "Seven Eight Central" which I've always taken to mean 7 EST and 8 CST although I'm still not certain about that!
    [/quote]

I've always assumed that was what it meant, but why stop at that? Why not mention the west coast time as well, or is the programming completely different there? Puzzling.

Tonish

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    [/quote]

I've always assumed that was what it meant, but why stop at that? Why not mention the west coast time as well, or is the programming completely different there? Puzzling.

Not sure if this is correct from our son or just a wind up (as boys will do to parents).

He used to be at University of North Carolina and was told by the others that it was because part of Tennessee and a couple of other states have two time zones and so they were making sure that everyone knew what time the programme started.

[/quote]

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Just had a look at time zones and several states seem to be in two seperate time zones, including the top left hand corner of Florida
    Lyn

I played in the MISL back in the 90S for a team called Cleveland Crunch and on my first day of training i was asked " do you have your own soccer cleats" did not have a clue what he was on about untill he pointed to my Football boots[msnsmile2]
    so Soccer cleats = Football boots
    Mike
    If Everton were playing in my back garden i would close the curtains
    (Shanks)

Florida Chatterbox
    I have been buying 2 year diaries from Dollartree, a month over 2 pages. I've given a few to friends and they requested that I buy some more on my recent trip. I was having trouble finding them so asked an assistant who looked at me as though I had two heads. Later in the trip I found them in the same store and realised that they are called 2 year Planner.

Diary = Planner

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    Time. Can someone explain the American version?

For example, if I am asked the time and it is 2.50, I would say ten to three. For 4.20 I would say twenty past four. This always seems to get me a strange look when I'm in the States. I think i'm supposed to say ten off three and twenty after four, but I just can't bring myself to do it - and I'm not even sure it's right anyway.
    [/quote]

2.50 : two fifty
    4.20 : four twenty
    5.30 : five thirty
    and so on...

I've never heard someone in the US say "ten off three" nor "twenty after four", but it might be I never paid attention....
    [/quote]
    A bit late, but I only just read this..

You want to try living in Germany, where their equivalent of "half three" actually means "halfway through the third hour" ie 2:30, and NOT "half past three" ie 3:30 as most Brits would assume. It's no wonder I arrived late for most events
    Keith

Gold 5 Star Member
    After many years going to America, we still get caught out.

Tie on labels = Tags

Tell someone we have Blue Tits and Great Tits in the garden.

Don't tell someone you will 'give them a tinkle'

Don't ask for an "Ice lolly" The guy last year at Typoon Lagoon was most puzzled by this!!