Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: US - UK Dictionary

Gold 5 Star Member
    Your right, Im english, and was born in england. Its just something im proud of and
    im afraid PC (political correctness) seems to have made a mess of it all.

Dont get me wrong, Theres nothing wrong with the Scots, Welsh, Irish etc. Just we are
    all different and because we live on the same bit of land we get called british, which
    I suppose we are in a way.

Even in england its the same, John and Sarah are northerners and they would call me a southerner
    or in my case im a londoner otherwise known as a cockney. When im asked where im from I always
    say London,England

And i wasnt offended in anyway.

Even in the UK, we have different words etc for the same things, I find it all funny
    Chrisj

Florida Newbie
    When my wife and I were dating we had a change to go to Germany to visit her relatives. Then we went off on our own to travel throughout Germany, Bavaria, and Switzerland. My wife could speak German but I spoke only English. And everytime I spoke English, I was asked if we were visiting from England. Which I thought was strange as I know I didn't have an "English accent". To me I could tell someone from England versus the US. But I guess to some in these countries, English sounded, uh, English.

I'd say we were from America and people would then just gave us this nasty look and cold shoulder. It turns out it was 1980 and then President Reagan was shoving balistic missle into Europe to the disdain of everyone. I soon learned to say, "Oh yes we are visting from England - and we were then treated like royalty!"

So, here 24 years later, I openly apologize to all you citizens of England as I borrowed your good name in exchange for a smile and good cheer.

So I guess it really doesn't matter where you are from, it seems to matter more where people think you are from before in determining how you are treated. But it shouldn't matter where you are from but how you respect and treat others that should determine "who you really are" and how you should be treated accordingly!

Arnie

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by asbaum

But it shouldn't matter where you are from but how you respect and treat others that should determine "who you really are" and how you should be treated accordingly!

Very wise and true words
    Chrisj

Florida Savvy
    I was explaining to my neighbour, who hails from New York originally (don't know if that makes a difference)that I wanted to make my villa homely. Now to me that means warm and inviting. To her it meant ugly, so no wonder she gave me a very strange look when I said it!

She told me that to make something warm and inviting would be to make it homey.

Donna

http://www.villasflorida.com/villas/514.aspx

Florida Newbie
    As a Yank that frequents the UK often, I am still trying to assimilate some of the differences in our language. Here are a few that I find unusual:

Hob - In the US that is a range, cooktop, or stove.
    Power shower- I still don't understand that one.
    Free - in UK it means available, in the US it means "no charge"
    Sort - (as in sort out) US= figure out, settle, or place into separate piles
    Proper - real, genuine, valid, correct.
    Ring-up - call on the telephone
    Car Park - parking lot, driveway
    Potty- UK= going a bit daft or crazy US= a loo for children

Florida Expert
    Hi Foreplay

The differences certainly make life more interesting, especially when people look at you strangely when you make a remark!!!!

I remember being somewhere in the mid west of the US and the waitress serving us kept asking what words we used in the UK for different things. She came over to the table all excited and asked what we called mashed potatoe, I felt quite disappointed having to tell her it was the same[8D].

Shirley
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

quote:Originally posted by foreplay

As a Yank that frequents the UK often, I am still trying to assimilate some of the differences in our language. Here are a few that I find unusual:

Hob - In the US that is a range, cooktop, or stove.
    Power shower- I still don't understand that one.
    Free - in UK it means available, in the US it means "no charge"
    Sort - (as in sort out) US= figure out, settle, or place into separate piles
    Proper - real, genuine, valid, correct.
    Ring-up - call on the telephone
    Car Park - parking lot, driveway
    Potty- UK= going a bit daft or crazy US= a loo for children
    Hi Foreplay as you frequent the UK quite often I'm surprised you picked that particular username!! - does it mean something different in the US ??[:I]
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Newbie
    Well, Yes and No. It is a bit of a play on words, but it is also my auto license plate number too. It all has to do with my penchant (read that-obsession) for golf. It also raises a few eyebrows until the golf connection is made. Hopefully I am not offending anyone with that name, it is all very innocent, really. If it is offensive to anyone, I will remove it, post haste.

Florida Chatterbox
    I am guessing that "ressies" are reservations, right? It makes sense as a shortcut, but I've never heard it used by Americans, only Brits.

Gold 5 Star Member
    ive never heard the expression ressies, but then I finally found our what rents meant
    this morning when I aksed my daughter. Its short for parents according to her
    Chrisj