Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK to East 42nd Street

Florida Chatterbox

JFK to East 42nd Street

Hi All

We are off to New York in August and wonder if anyone knows the going rate for a taxi from JFK Airport to the Grand Hyatt (109 East 42nd Street at Grand Central Station. I did read somewhere about one form of taxi being much cheaper than the other and also to ask what the fare would be before getting in! Our hotel offers a meet and greet at the airport and I wonder if this would be a better option. Never been to New York before, so am clueless!! [msnembarrased] Any help appreciated. [msnsmile2]

Thanks
    Francine

If you know your way around then a taxi is OK. I have used taxis in NY quite recently and about 50 % of the time the driver was calling back to base on the radio and I needed to give them directions when we were close to where I wanted to go.

If it's a big hotel then they should know, however as you have the offer of a 'meet and greet' from the hotel I would take it. It may be a little dearer but they can set it up for you and all you need do is look for your name in arrivals. Much better.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member
    Francine, on both our visits to NY we used the yellow cabs at JFK. We were advised not to take rides from the likes of the limo's who tout for business. The single journey from JFK to Manhatan cost around $60, but I should mention this was a few years ago.

NY is a fabulous place to see. It's awesome. Have a great time. [msnsmile2]

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy Airport:

The Taxi & Limousine Commission is conducting a "Flat Fare" program for trips between (to and from) the Borough of Manhattan and John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. The meter will not be turned on and the night surcharge will not be added.

If passengers request multiple stops, the flat rate of $45.00 will be collected at the first stop in either Manhattan or John F. Kennedy Airport, and the meter will be turned on for the remainder of the trip. The metered fare should be collected at the last stop, from the last passenger.[msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Meet & Greet tends to be way more than a cab.

As posted above, the cab fare should be $45 plus tolls and tip so reckon on about $65 each way. Just go to the dispatcher at the terminal exit and wait in line. The drivers hate the fixed fare but must charge that for the ride to anywhere in Manhattan.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks so much for your help. The meet and greet from the hotel for a "town car" is $140 or for a "stretch limo" is $225. I think the taxi sounds better!![msnwink]
    Francine

Gold 5 Star Member
    Have a look at limo services ('limo' is used to describe all sorts of vehicles including Town cars). They are often around the price of a cab but the cars are better, more comfortable and you are met at the airport.

I can't post links but I use Carmel Limos. Have a look at their website and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for the info Katy's Grandad, I'll have a look.[msnsmile2]
    Francine

We used Super Shuttle from Newark to Manhatten a few weeks ago. We booked it on line. Their site is quoting $17 each way JFK to Manhatten might be worth taking a look depending how many of you there are.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks Majik

I had a look at Carmel Limos and the price was good. I will have a look at Super Shuttle now. $17 dollars is such a good price too, especially when I just got 1.99 exchange rate this morning!!
    Francine