Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retiring to Florida

Gold 5 Star Member

Retiring to Florida

A couple of posts – see below – in mrsbabypowder’s thread have raised again the issue of over 60’s retiring to Florida. Rather than take that thread off topic I thought I would start a new thread; it hasn’t been raised for quite a while I believe.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Hi all,
    Ref the over 60s Visa i have e-mailed countless times to Senator Crispin,Senator Bush ,Senator Mendize and have also sent one to George Bush so far i have received two replies,but i will keep on!! perhaps if everyone who wanted to retire to Florida got of their butts and did the same we could get somewhere.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You may know they tried to get a retirement bill through in the late 1990s, Sheena, though the guy who introduced it is no longer in Senate. It failed because it only got the support of the senators whose regions would benefit, Florida, New Mexico and Arizona eg and there are far more cold northern states that wouldnt really benefit. Anyway it never made it. I think if everyone who wants to retire to Florida emailed and you got someone to introduce it again based on support in Florida, the same thing would happen again. There is a lot of self interest in American politics! Unfortunately.[/quote]

I think the notion of over 60’s retiring to Florida is a pipe dream for most people.

It is surely absolutely fair that people wishing to make that move should be able give concrete assurances that they will never be a burden to Uncle Sam.

So how do you do that?

Affording day to day living – car/housing/food etc – will present no problem to some; especially if they can sell up in UK.

However what about medical cover?

For many in their 60s+ moving to for the first time to Florida medical insurance for permanent residence will be simply unobtainable. I have seen figures of $40,000 pa for a full policy for each person bandied about, and that excludes cover for existing conditions. No doubt these premiums will increase hugely as you get older and into your 70s and 80s.

Without insurance A lengthy stay in hospital for, say, cancer/cardiac/stroke can bankrupt millionaires.

So what sort of Capital and and/or Income do you feel you would need to satisfy Uncle Sam of your solvency?

Also what safeguards do you think that you should give Uncle Sam that you won’t blow your capital on wine, women, song or gambling(or give it to your children)?

Again, blow your money, or simply can’t/won’t pay/be refused medical insurance – what happens?

If you are really wealthy and can afford that sort of expenditure, you can, in practice, stay for as long as you wish each year in Florida as long as you keep a residence and ties to UK.

Personally, much as I love Florida, I can’t think why anyone would want to retire there.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thats your choice, many would love too!!

Florida Chatterbox
    Warm winters, plenty to do, english speaking, works for me.

medical though, thats another story altogether.

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Totally agree, but there are plenty of people who would love to. Each to their own - the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same [msnsmile]
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    Personally, much as I love Florida, I can’t think why anyone would want to retire there.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    My last sentence was simply an aside, and a mistake as it will no doubt generate lots of 'I would love to' responses which wasn't the aim. Bit too late to delete it now I guess.

Totally accepting I am in a minority and lots "would love to", can they afford to? given the points I made above? Discuss!!!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    In respect of medical insurance, there is always international insurance schemes, which is something we are looking into.
    Will post my findings once I have the full info.

Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    What I notice more and more in Florida is elderly people working in supermarkets, department stores and car parks. The question might be "can Florida residents afford to retire there"? It looks rather like many can't.

Administrator
    Most of these older employees are only working to get the medical insurance they get from the employer, with a very low wage.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    What I notice more and more in Florida is elderly people working in supermarkets, department stores and car parks. The question might be "can Florida residents afford to retire there"? It looks rather like many can't.
    [/quote]

Administrator
    I like the UK and the USA. Personally I'd rather live in Florida now whilst younger and I have the money to live here comfortably, and then retire back to the UK if not back there already.

I would not want to be spending my life savings just paying for medical bills once I retire.

Having said that, if money is no object when I retire, or the US come up with a national health type system for the retired then I might change my mind.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    [/quote]

They may not always be working to pay for insurance. When we were over there at Christmas the elderly packer insisted on taking my cart to the car - you an imagine my embarassement. Healthy looking lady with tiny bent up old man pushing a heavily laden trolley.

I asked if he minded me asking how old he was and he was 85! To my question of why did he still work he said he retired at 60, was fed up with watching repeats of movies and TV programmes and was saving up to buy a boat!

Maybe, where there is clearly no upper age limit for employees, some actually enjoy getting out and meeting people and earning some extra spending money.
    Maureen Green