Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Florida

Florida Newbie

Moving to Florida

Hi,
    I just wondered if anyone had any good stories about moving from Britain to Florida, and how they had made it work for them?

Its something my family and I would like to do, but everywhere we turn or look there just seems to be bad stories.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Can't give you any specific information but I would say in all walks of life you will always hear the bad news rather than the good news that makes up the majority of peoples lives( usually on a TV program with Trevor Macdonald or on GMTV[msnsmile2])

andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

We moved ahd a a wondeful time but we had to move back as we had problems with health insurance. If you are considering moving the following advice is good:

Whatever budget you dome up with double it.
    If purchasing a business do not uinder any circumstances a hand over any money (not even a deposit) until your visa is granted.
    Do strict due dilligence.
    If yo have anyone with health issues, forget it, insurance is very expensive and pre existing conditions are near impossible to cover.
    To have a reasonable standard of living and enjoy yourself, look for an income of no less than $100,000 (assuming yo are mortgaging out there). If yo have kids going to college, take furtehr advice it is not cheap.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sueb
    Hi,
    I just wondered if anyone had any good stories about moving from Britain to Florida, and how they had made it work for them?

Its something my family and I would like to do, but everywhere we turn or look there just seems to be bad stories.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Sue
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    We live on way under $100.000 and I think I have an above avenge standard of living for the USA....

We've had our ups and down...but for the most part we would never have had the life we have now in the UK...

Administrator
    I've only been here 6 weeks so hard to give a long term view. So far we are very happy but we did a lot of research before we came.

What I have found is that if you look at forums on the subject you tend to only hear the problems as that is often the reason those people are on the forum. What you must remember is that for every person with a problem there are probably many more people with no major problems.

I have met a lot of people (before coming over to live and lots since arriving). Nearly everyone I know here on visas are more than happy and would not go back unless their visa renewals are not approved.

A lot of it depends on the visa situation rather than general problems living here. We steered well clear of an visa type that meant investing any money (e.g. the E2 visa) as we tend to be of the opinion that most of the businesses up for sale are not as good as they first appear! A business owner here selling a geniune good company would usually rather sell to someone already here in a position to buy quickly rather than to someone buying to get a visa, where there can be many months lead time.

We were fortunate to get over here on an L1 initally since we have the UK based company that is continuing to run while I am over here. If you have a business in the UK that can function after you move to the USA then I'm sure this is best route. It is currently also easier to get a Green Card from an L1 visa compared to some other visas.

As many people have said before though, the cost of living here is higher than most people think, but if you have the money then I'm sure the way of life is better.

I was reffering to people moving over there now, you have been there for years and well settled. A mortgage and taxes on a half decent 4/5 bed home in Florida will be around $30 k a year. Dont forget new folks dont get the good mortgage rates as they have no credit.
    Roger gives good advice, generally you will only here the bad stories as the contented and succsesful ones will not be just that. It is great place to run a business and if you work hard you will earn money. You really need your wits about you and not have to rely on others for help. If I could I would be back in flash, we have even talked about me going over on my own, but this is not really an option. I know one thing for sure, although it went wrong for us, we have no regrets other than having to leave fairly quickly and thus letting a few folks down in the process (beyond our control). Given time, there was so much more we could have done. We know a few who had to move back but this was always due to them messing up visa applications or trying to make it work while waiting for a visa. We know many more who are well settled and very content.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    We live on way under $100.000 and I think I have an above avenge standard of living for the USA....

We've had our ups and down...but for the most part we would never have had the life we have now in the UK...

[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well not really I have two homes and up until a few weeks ago two home loans...I use one house to pay off the other and then look around for a new house...so I always carry the same amount of loan as most people would if the just moved over..I have not only FL taxes and Ins but also MA ones as well...the only thing I may get cheaper being here so long is car Ins...and I get a rebate for good credit for home Ins in FL...

Ok I give up my experience was different yours. I still recommend a gross income of $100k if buying buy decent property and wanting enjoy yourself (3 or 4 decent vacations per year mooching around teh USA, nice cars etc etc). There is no point doing it without.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Well not really I have two homes and up until a few weeks ago two home loans...I use one house to pay off the other and then look around for a new house...so I always carry the same amount of loan as most people would if the just moved over..I have not only FL taxes and Ins but also MA ones as well...the only thing I may get cheaper being here so long is car Ins...and I get a rebate for good credit for home Ins in FL...
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    One bit of advice I would give anyone coming here on a visa where their kids can't work is start a college fund in the UK even if the thought of moving over is a long way in the future..you'll need the money for the kids in the UK anyway..plan in the amount you'll need for school fees before buying a big new house or SUV....if your kids can work let them work for their own college fee's...[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think many people aspiring to move to Florida appreciate the huge, and continuing, cost of adequate medical insurance.

Without adequate insurance, medical costs can financially cripple families.