Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Florida

Florida Chatterbox
    My sister-in-law works a 21 hour a week job for very low pay just so she gets medical insurance for the family, not all jobs include it though, and of course not everyone can get an employed position.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I was there for going on four years and really enjoyed it. My teenage son also really took to the lifestyle, in general kids love it there and do well in their system. I had to leave due to legal technicalities with my visa but would like to go back but now have to apply from scratch. I know many people who are happy over there and do well and others who are not, reasons for unhappiness are missing family, becoming landlocked due to the huge delays and problems with visa issue in London and not being able to visit family and friends, business not panning out as thought and visa problems, visa problems, visa problems particularly with renewals. To be frank you have to run a business to renew a visa not to make a profit and that galls, especially when it doesnt work and you dont get renewed for some reason and you realise how much money you spent on offices you dont need and didnt want and staff you dont need and didnt want!! With a green card, I would have been as happy as Larry. But if you are going the E2 route, you have to realise that you may be there for the short term not the long term and enjoy it while you can and if it doesnt work out treat it as an experience. That is easier done without kids, with kids you are putting them into US education and teaching them to enjoy a lifestyle which you may not be able to sustain for them.

The cost of living certainly isnt cheap but the low income tax does level it out a little. I would say on $100,000 a year you could live very well, the embassy like to see $70,000 and you can live on that OK. The difficult bit is finding a business which is not only kosher but also that you will enjoy and will also carry you through a visa and renewals, now that isnt easy. If you have a job they need and can find sponsorship from an employer over there that is by far the best way to get in.

There are a lot of horrors stories on the forums. There are bad people about who will take all your money off you if you let them and people have lost their shirts and their life savings trying to buy into the dream. Do your research, avoid "schemes", use an immigration attorney who you have a number of references for, get two accountants to look at any business, dont use any professional who is associated with the broker for the business or the seller and only put any money into escrow with a respectable attorney and with all paperwork regarding refund if the visa isnt issued in place. And dont buy any business just because it is in Florida, if you wouldnt want to run it or it wouldnt be making enough money for the investment if it were in Skegness, then just because it is in Orlando doesnt make it any more feasable.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    I don't think many people aspiring to move to Florida appreciate the huge, and continuing, cost of adequate medical insurance.

Without adequate insurance, medical costs can financially cripple families.
    [/quote]

Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...

How does this help those moving to Florida?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Ok I give up my experience was different yours. I still recommend a gross income of $100k if buying buy decent property and wanting enjoy yourself (3 or 4 decent vacations per year mooching around teh USA, nice cars etc etc). There is no point doing it without.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Well not really I have two homes and up until a few weeks ago two home loans...I use one house to pay off the other and then look around for a new house...so I always carry the same amount of loan as most people would if the just moved over..I have not only FL taxes and Ins but also MA ones as well...the only thing I may get cheaper being here so long is car Ins...and I get a rebate for good credit for home Ins in FL...
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Well I have all those things...and like I say well under $100.000 a year..[msnsmile2]

I don't think we should give the idea that you'll end up living in a slum if you don't bring in a high wage...in FL that is untrue...the cost of living there is higher then a few years ago...and I'm one of the first to tell people to make sure they have min of $60k a year...so you can take those holidays and buy those cars ...if that kind of thing is important to you...to many it may not be top of their list...a lower wage than $100k can give you a fair to good standard of living ...I know it does to the many people I know living in FL right now...a lot being Brits new to the area...

I am taking it for granted that people are not stupid enough to make such a big move on a shoe string...which we kinda did...and I don't rec it much...but in 7 years we've done more than good...even if it did come with a lot of knocks...

Gold 5 Star Member
    How does this help those moving to Florida?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Move to MA...everyone here has to have Healthcare this year...you can walk into any hospital and they have to see you and they can't make you pay up if you have no money....if you can't afford healthcare they fine you $1700 when you do your taxes..cheap as chips if you think about it...
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

It was not said to help people move to FL..it was in answer to something Robert said...

Ok I give up [/quote]

LOL[msnsmile2]

I have no experience of living in Florida but just the mortgage, taxes, utilities etc on a 4 bed property + knowing how much it costs to buy groceries and eat out makes me think it's unlikely that I'd want to have an income of less than you're suggesting Martin - maybe it's different for people without kids or those that don't want to enjoy the finer things in life[msnwink] - maybe you should cut back on those lovely Sosa cigars and the vintage champagne[msnwink]
    Caroline & Dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    But Caroline...I also own a 4 bed in FL...and one in MA...I eat out...go on about 5 holidays a year..own 2 cars..I have double every bill that most people have because I own 2 homes...we still have 2 kids at home plus a grandchild...and I even find money left over to buy groceries...and we do have an income less then $100k..by more than the odd few thousand..and I live full time in one of the more expensive place in the USA...maybe Sosa cigars and vintage champagne are well over priced..and you need that extra income to support the habit..[msnwink][msnwink]

The more money the better...but you can live on less and not in a double wide and living on coupons...[msncool]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Getting back to Sue's question...there are a lot of bad stories out there..but many good ones...they just don't get to the forums...which mostly draw people with problems....people are happy in the USA for the most part..even on starvation wages..[msnsmile2]

If people had no worries about renewing their visa's...I think many more people would be very very happy here...

If your family really wants some helpful advice about moving I could IM you some sites about moving to the USA ...full of people who have moved here on all incomes and visa's...you can get a lot of good up to date info...

Its not good to be short of money in the USA...but don't be put off by the figures given...
    If you are coming over on a visa like the E2 you could have extra expence...like trips back to the UK to renew...
    whatever amount of money you think you'll need to move over double it...if you don't get that right you will need a bigger income...
    Remember you'll have not credit rating so deposits are needed for a lot of things...

DON'T do this big move on a shoe string...I can't say this enough...
    And DON'T let others put you off..just remember sometime you'll get told things you don't want to hear..don't take it to heart...in the end only you know what you and your family can do...

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    But Caroline...I also own a 4 bed in FL...and one in MA...I eat out...go on about 5 holidays a year..own 2 cars..I have double every bill that most people have because I own 2 homes...we still have 2 kids at home plus a grandchild...and I even find money left over to buy groceries...and we do have an income less then $100k..by more than the odd few thousand..and I live full time in one of the more expensive place in the USA...maybe Sosa cigars and vintage champagne are well over priced..and you need that extra income to support the habit..[msnwink][msnwink]

The more money the better...but you can live on less and not in a double wide and living on coupons...[msncool]
    [/quote]

Well I take my hat off to you Chrizzy, I know for a fact my budgeting skills wouldn't allow me to do all the things you do on such a small amount - maybe you've got a money tree at the bottom of your garden[msnwink]
    Caroline & Dave