Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

You had quoted my post, so yes I took your comments as directed at me.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?

[/quote]

It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.

[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    You had quoted my post, so yes I took your comments as directed at me.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?

[/quote]

It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Incorrectly!

Florida Junior
    Martin, sorry to hear about your child. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, some people can flourish in a recession but I am seeing far fewer of them in the current economic climate. I think for "most people" the challenge of starting a business in a far off land is difficult enough without layering over it the problems inherent in a serious recession.

I simply don't think anyone considering a move can divorce themselves from the basic question of "what is going on with the Florida economy"? If Americans themselves are months and months and months out of work, why should anyone think that it will be roses on their arrival? Again, and maybe we are agreeing on the same point, thorough due diligence is in order and caution needs to substitute for the rose tinted glasses.

Yes we are in agreement, personally I think anyone who makes any move without research and due diligence is nuts. I met many over there who had moved to from the UK and bought suspect businesses (pool rounds, pest control, driveway coatings amongst others) and ended up broke and broken hearted. Of course it was everyone else's fault. Simple fact is they bought on face value.
    We actually ran our business for 6 months before the deal was done. This was an agreement that took a monthly fee out of the purchase price. So everyone was happy.
    Anyone thinking of moving over for regular 'average salary' job, I would not do it full stop. Even when times are good. There are too many variables.
    If you are setting up a business, make sure you have prior knowledge of running a business. if you are green behind the ears, you will have an uphill struggle.
    That is my whole point about this thread, all we are getting is 'Florida ruined my life' was it Florida?
    The fact is we could have a much longer thread from those on here running very successful business and having a ball over there.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Osceola
    Martin, sorry to hear about your child. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, some people can flourish in a recession but I am seeing far fewer of them in the current economic climate. I think for "most people" the challenge of starting a business in a far off land is difficult enough without layering over it the problems inherent in a serious recession.

I simply don't think anyone considering a move can divorce themselves from the basic question of "what is going on with the Florida economy"? If Americans themselves are months and months and months out of work, why should anyone think that it will be roses on their arrival? Again, and maybe we are agreeing on the same point, thorough due diligence is in order and caution needs to substitute for the rose tinted glasses.
    [/quote]

Florida Expert
    Yes Martin blow your horn that you did it all the right way.

Unfortunately we didn't so call us stupid or have half a brain or whatever other comment you can come up with.

We bought a business back in 2006 and left the middle of this year when we realised we had also made a big mistake. Yes the seller probably manipulated the figure, oh and by the way we did have a due diligence carried out, big help that was.

Us like most have a burning desire to live in Florida and it may cloud your judgement. It still doesn't make it taste any better when you lose some or all of your hard earned savings.

Been smug about it may make you feel better, but the result is that Florida did cause a hell of a lot of problems for Mrs babypowder just like it did ours.

The original title is "our big mistake moving to florida" and she quite simply was relaying her mistake. I too could write a similar story. I don't see where you get off judging people just because you did it "the right way".

The post serves as a warning to others.
    Neil & Kay

Yes it is nice to blow ones own trumpet. Hard work had nothing to do with it!! We did have some hiccup's but overcame them. Yes Mrs Baby Powder did admit it was her mistake, which is a hard thing to do. Respect for that.
    You don't have due diligence 'done', you do it yourself. You stayed for 3 years and then found out it was a mistake?
    This is discussion, sorry if you do not like my point of view but I stand by it.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
    Yes Martin blow your horn that you did it all the right way.

Unfortunately we didn't so call us stupid or have half a brain or whatever other comment you can come up with.

We bought a business back in 2006 and left the middle of this year when we realised we had also made a big mistake. Yes the seller probably manipulated the figure, oh and by the way we did have a due diligence carried out, big help that was.

Us like most have a burning desire to live in Florida and it may cloud your judgement. It still doesn't make it taste any better when you lose some or all of your hard earned savings.

Been smug about it may make you feel better, but the result is that Florida did cause a hell of a lot of problems for Mrs babypowder just like it did ours.

The original title is "our big mistake moving to florida" and she quite simply was relaying her mistake. I too could write a similar story. I don't see where you get off judging people just because you did it "the right way".

The post serves as a warning to others.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not Florida in particular, Martin. The people on the immigration forums are all over the states, so the US in general. California is worse if anything as are certain areas up north, Rhode Island and Michegan come to mind. Fact is that the environment three years ago is very different from what it is today. You would easily have done due diligence on a business three years ago in what is a discretionary purchase business and the business looked good at that point only for the whole place to go belly up last year and now there are a large amount of people unemployed, homes are worth 30-40% less than they were and no one has access to credit, hence no one is spending any money any more. Totally different environment. Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well seeing as this is a discussion! Not for the first time Martin I don't think you have understood the thrust of the argument being presented. Or if you have understood, I simply don’t understand your approach in this thread.

Since this thread has been resurrected, there have been a number of balanced and reasoned posts pointing out to readers, who may have a desire to move to Florida, the pitfalls of buying a business and costs associated with living in the Sunshine State.

It was always difficult, and during the recession it has got far more difficult.

In fact it is rather ironic that you take such a stance when the unfortunate situation with your child’s medical problems graphically illustrated just how difficult life can be in Florida. Despite your apparently very successful business, you simply could not afford to stay in the USA due to the medical costs/insurance.

That just proves my point. How can you expect to run a business if you do not allow for economic variances. It's like buying a car and then being shocked that you have to pay for petrol to keep it going.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    . Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    That just proves my point. How can you expect to run a business if you do not allow for economic variances. It's like buying a car and then being shocked that you have to pay for petrol to keep it going. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    . Due diligence only really helps provided the basis stays the same.[/quote][/quote]There are economic variances and economic variances. No one in 2006 knew or expected the depths to which the downturn would come in 2008/9, ie that we would go into the worst recession since the 1930s. Banks have gone under, Circuit City closed down as did Linen and Things and Bennigans, General Motors went into chapter 11 and had to be taken over by the government and yet a few little E2-ers were supposed to predict the depth of the downturn two to three years before it happened by doing a due diligence when these giants above did not. Come on!!
    Julie