Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Florida Junior
    I saw online that the Orlando Sentinel reported a few days ago that for the first time since World War II, Florida is actually losing population. The state's economy rests on a very narrow beam of tourism and construction and the slightest bump will knock it off. Working people cannot find jobs that pay a living wage. So they are moving to other states. Until state government leaders find a way to build an economy more solidly diversified, Florida is apt to remain economically unstable for years to come. Americans face some very, very serious challenges. 49 million Americans today will not get enough food to eat to eliminate their hunger pangs. If I were making decisions in Washington, I think I would be much less concerned about Afghanistan.

So I think anyone thinking of uprooting the family, especially with younger children, and dropping themselves into Florida's recession, should give this the most careful consideration.

That it such a broad statement, I would be back there tomorrow if we could. Recession can be a good time for the canny. You do paint a picture of doom and gloom. Everywhere is in recession its not just Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
    So I think anyone thinking of uprooting the family, especially with younger children, and dropping themselves into Florida's recession, should give this the most careful consideration.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    That it such a broad statement, I would be back there tomorrow if we could. Recession can be a good time for the canny. You do paint a picture of doom and gloom. Everywhere is in recession its not just Florida.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

It looks to me like the painted picture is pretty accurate and that the advice is both sound and based upon fact. Quite refreshing to read an objective assessment not influenced by self interest actually.

Well I am running half the business I used and it it is still US based, it could easily support us. I am sorry but we all know the situation before we go or should do. The trips back for renewals, the need pay yourself a salary (although anyone with half a brain can see the huge loopholes in this, as per my tax returns).
    I seem to remember you waxing lyrical about how good your attorney was and recommending them to everyone, only to find out they messed up for you. Do your homework!
    In times of recession, we adapt and move on. Sure I have lost money in recession (and lost a business). Homestead exemption? Don't make me laugh. If people cannot survive without then they have no hope at all, it is peanuts. Life on an E2, everything is set out before you go, all the rules and regulations. Don't whine about it afterwards, when you think it should be changed. I thought you were on an L1 or was that the first time round and now your on E2, which appears does not suit you. The visa application clearly states you need to employ american, so why whine about this afterwards.
    Show me the books of business's that have closed down and I will tell you were they went wrong, I guarantee it will not be due to E2 visa or recession. It will be down to bad decisions, poor due diligence and no back up plan.
    I know around 20 people who have thriving businesses over there. Sure they had been affected but they adapt and move on. I also know around 8 people who have lost there business and moved back, all were errors on their own part. We came back blaming the health care system (which we did have a problem with), the reality was it gave us an excuse to move back with family. We could have overcome the healthcare issue, but Alex was not happy over there. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.[/quote]

Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?
    Anyone on here can tell you that I left a thriving business, which is still running today.
    Some comments made on here are missing a few facts. If Julie could explain why she had problems first time around, you will find it was nothing to do with recession and if it is so bad, why is she back there. I am also intrigued as to how she managed to get back, presuming its the same visa.
    The orginal person who started this thread, did not do due diligence, the business they bought just was not there. Undeclared debt (how on earth do you buy a business and leave yourself open to this? Missing inventory (errr stock check before you hand over the dosh and change locks on same day). They even admit it was there mistake. It has nothing to do with visa or actually living in Florida, just personal choice.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    [i]

It looks to me like the painted picture is pretty accurate and that the advice is both sound and based upon fact. Quite refreshing to read an objective assessment not influenced by self interest actually.

The reason we cannot go back is because we have a terminally ill child and at the schools where not good for those in wheelchairs (more so to do with attitude than access). We would all be back there if circumstances were different.
    Looks like fate is taking me back there anyway. We just landed a UK tour, which if successful goes to Europe and the USA. This would just be me though not my family.
    I have heard so many people blame everyone else but themselves when something fails. This happens a lot with Visa renewals go wrong, if you do what is written in black and white, you get a renewal.
    If the business you buy collapses within months, then sorry you did not do due diligence properly (this takes months to do properly).
    The advice on hear would be thoughtful is when someone puts an opposite view are not pounced on as having 'self interest'. One sided discussions are frankly quite boring and a forum should be about balanced views.
    Just to explain the self interest, the forum itself accounts for less than 1% of ticket sales, it is John and Rogers hard work elsewhere that brings customer to the ticket site direct. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
    No offence and I don't know you at all but you seem to have real issues about having to move back from Florida. I don't know about another dig but I think the general advice people are offering is sensible and thoughtful.

I suppose everyone has to do their homework about all apsects of living there. This would include trying to find out if all members of the family genuinely want to go.

I hope eveerything works out for all concerned.[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well I am running half the business I used and it it is still US based, it could easily support us. I am sorry but we all know the situation before we go or should do. The trips back for renewals, the need pay yourself a salary (although anyone with half a brain can see the huge loopholes in this, as per my tax returns).
    I seem to remember you waxing lyrical about how good your attorney was and recommending them to everyone, only to find out they messed up for you. Do your homework!
    In times of recession, we adapt and move on. Sure I have lost money in recession (and lost a business). Homestead exemption? Don't make me laugh. If people cannot survive without then they have no hope at all, it is peanuts. Life on an E2, everything is set out before you go, all the rules and regulations. Don't whine about it afterwards, when you think it should be changed. I thought you were on an L1 or was that the first time round and now your on E2, which appears does not suit you. The visa application clearly states you need to employ american, so why whine about this afterwards.
    Show me the books of business's that have closed down and I will tell you were they went wrong, I guarantee it will not be due to E2 visa or recession. It will be down to bad decisions, poor due diligence and no back up plan.
    I know around 20 people who have thriving businesses over there. Sure they had been affected but they adapt and move on. I also know around 8 people who have lost there business and moved back, all were errors on their own part. We came back blaming the health care system (which we did have a problem with), the reality was it gave us an excuse to move back with family. We could have overcome the healthcare issue, but Alex was not happy over there. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    But life on E2 is seriously restricted, Martin, from the visa renewal rules requiring regular trips out of the US, or even back to the UK for renewal purposes to the need to employ Americans even if you have no need of staff and have nothing for them to do, to the need to pay yourself a certain salary on W-2 ( instead of drawing profit) on which you will pay medicare and social security you will probably never be able to claim. Add to that the lack of homestead exemption and the need to pay international students rates for kids who have turned 21 who are otherwise sent home. And I dont need to tell you about health insurance issues. To do all this in a recession when few people in the US are buying anything, goods or services, and over 10 percent of people are unemployed is hard. Most businesses here are struggling but E2 businesses suffer under an additional burdon and are struggling more. I personally know of four lots of people who have left in the last six months having closed their businesses down and lost their life savings. It is easy to say you would be back in a heartbeat if you could. You remember the good old days of five years back, as do I, Im afraid it just isnt the same any more. I would not advise anyone to make the move at the moment, or at least not on E2. Sorry if this is read as doom and gloom, it is just realism.[/quote]
    [/quote]

To set the record straight, the attorney, she was actually a visa consultant, I waxed lyrical about once upon a time had retired by the time I had my visa problems and I was using someone else entirely, Martin. You may know 20 people who are doing OK and 8 who have gone back ( which itself isnt a brilliant proportion percentage wise) but I am a member of two immigration forums and see what is posted on those, plus know a lot of other people here and as I am up in Orlando, they are running businesses not directly connected with the vacation home indus
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have to agree Julie..I used to get about 20 e-mail a week about moving to the US..now I get none..and the forums are like reading nightmare's I've never in 10 years of running expats forums seen the likes of it before..and this is the second down turn we have done here..the biggest problem is people being lied to from all sides and conned..

But saying that I'm sure its like that all over the world right now..I keep seeing little pick ups here and there..but its slow..I feel it more in FL then here in MA I don't know anyone here losing homes and jobs as of yet...but FL I know few not having troubles..
    Still I look at it this way...had we stayed in the UK we would of lost our home years ago..hubby's company there closed a year after we left..and no-one we know is still in telecoms unless they moved country..America is both a great and hard place to live..I have a love hate thing with it..my views on living here change with the weather...the biggest things I've learned in 10 years is money does not buy happiness and to be thankful for what I have..I live in an area people would die to live in..the down side is Gordon Brown plans to semi retire just up the road..please keep him over there we have enough of out own nutty leaders spending time here without yours joining us.. [)][)]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Where is my self interest? This is based on fact and experience. What experience you have of me and my experience, living in Florida, E2 visa applications to justify such a comment. Or is it just another dig?[/quote]It does seem that you have some strong views about this subject and that might be impacting upon your objectivity but how you come to the conclusion that my general comment about it was aimed at you and was some sort of 'dig' is competely beyond me and totally unjustified.