Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Gold 5 Star Member
    my FL house is still worth more than we paid for it...but in the end its just a roof all paid for so its worth is really of no interest its just paper money... the Cape where I live full time went into recession early 2 years before the main land and is now out of it for the most part our house here has gone up $40k in 2 months and the homes are selling in weeks..
    I do find it more depressing in FL then here I think its because people have more to lose in FL than here..most people I know a round here have very little to lose at the best of times..

Florida Junior
    Jeff, the property is very much as cheap as that in Kissimmee! The unit I was referring to was one I personally took a look at on the Legacy Dunes Condo - minium (just to avoid those pesky auto edits!) on the 192. At the time I looked there were TEN units in the 20s and 30s 000 USD in that complex. Why?? Because no one could get financing from lenders to buy condo - minium units down there. Cash is king and investors have already bought several I was looking at (but couldn't raise the cash at the time!).

Gold 5 Star Member
    Many many English people living here now going back home or considering going home. Most UK people on E2 have no or inadequate health coverage because of the costs, business are struggling, many people have homes which are financially under water and are just walking away and leaving them. Osceola county has 12.8% unemployment which is higher than the 9.8% national average, Flagler county a massive 16% There is very limited unemployment benefit here and once it stops people get nothing at all. To put it frankly, no one here has any money.

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.
    Julie

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    Many many English people living here now going back home or considering going home. Most UK people on E2 have no or inadequate health coverage because of the costs, business are struggling, many people have homes which are financially under water and are just walking away and leaving them. Osceola county has 12.8% unemployment which is higher than the 9.8% national average, Flagler county a massive 16% There is very limited unemployment benefit here and once it stops people get nothing at all. To put it frankly, no one here has any money.

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.[/quote]Are the high levels of unemployment having an impact on crime levels in the area?

Florida Junior
    If you read the newspapers in Florida, it doesn't seem like the crime problem is noticeably worse. I did hear that "concealed weapons permits" applications have increased substantially. There is a very large number of Floridians who are lawfully entitled to carry firearms on their persons. Whilst in one of the large outdoor recreation retailers here, Bass Pro Shops, on the international drive (they sell everything from camping gear to golf clothes) one of the clerks told me that sale of handguns and ammunition was very active. They are selling so much ammunition every week that they are having trouble keeping their shelves stocked!

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit

Enjoy your holidays here, people, the sun still shines and it is still a good place to vacation. But dont consider moving here at the moment, or at least not unless you have a guaranteed and secure job paying a good wage waiting for you.
    [/quote]

I totally agree with this, I fortunately have adequate income as I rent out homes I bought cheap - to tenants who have had their homes foreclosed on. But even my rents have had to go down, there are so many empty properties here as people don't have rent money even.
    This morning I saw a longer than ever line at the free food store where poor folk can get handouts.

And you will find that you have to work so hard here that you will never have time to do all the things that are fun. You'll either be working, sorting out your taxes, or asleep.

I didn't even manage to get to last weeks rocket launch, or to Universal Halloween nights. But i got a lot of kitchen fitting and painting and locks changed etc.

Florida Expert
    I just got my Florida concealed weapons permit. Took 45 minutes. Which included a class on law and 10 rounds at the range!

I'm looking at buying a few cheap houses. As you say, with all the foreclosures it's a renting crazy market out there!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Gold 5 Star Member
    Things seem to be picking up around here..house prices are nearly back to what they were in our neigbourhood anyway..but then we went into melt down two years before the rest of the US..places have closed new ones opened..a few area's are still finding it hard to sell but that is mostly the poorer neigbourhoods or the very rich ones..we really did not expect to be still here but hubbys work is holding on..I've noticed my food bill is less...firewood was cheaper.. my Electric bill was lower and our Property taxes were 3k less this year..I do find it more depressing in FL than here..can't say our crime has go up apart from bank robberies..we had 3 in one week...

I though were you live in Cape Cod was so quiet and no crime surprised about the bank robberies ,Hope they catch them soon and put the away for a long time .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Why on earth did you buy a vacation home in Florida? I have not seen much you like about Florida, which I find really odd. I would move back to Florida in second if we could, chances are we will be back in the USA within 3 years. If I was there now, I know for sure I would be better off than were in the non recession period.
    This thread paints a very bleak picture, there are plenty of people having a ball in Florida. There will always be an in balance where ever you live. Its down to ourselves to make the best of what we have and not pile the blame onto others. Me yes I have lost a business through the recession and yes its cost lots. You pick yourself up and get on with it. Life is what you make it and not about what you have.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Things seem to be picking up around here..house prices are nearly back to what they were in our neigbourhood anyway..but then we went into melt down two years before the rest of the US..places have closed new ones opened..a few area's are still finding it hard to sell but that is mostly the poorer neigbourhoods or the very rich ones..we really did not expect to be still here but hubbys work is holding on..I've noticed my food bill is less...firewood was cheaper.. my Electric bill was lower and our Property taxes were 3k less this year..I do find it more depressing in FL than here..can't say our crime has go up apart from bank robberies..we had 3 in one week...
    [/quote]