Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Having read your story Elaine, you certainly have been through the mill. I am sure that yoa will pick yourself up and get back on your feet soon.

If they brought in the 'Over 60s Visa' provided you are self sufficient we would be off like a shot. It is always good to keep a base in the UK though wherever you go to live abroad.
    Jill and Brian

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
    elaine you seem to be a southern bird but if you have any consideration for flying to the nth east of england i would gladly offer you a refurbished 3 bedder at short notice. albeit terraced! but i reckon your 414 posts are good enough reference.

by the way where did the babypowder handle come from?[msnwink]
    [/quote]Hey, thanks for the offer. We will definatley keep it in mind.

MMMMMM babypowder - well to me johnson and johnson baby powder was one of the most beautiful smells on my babies. When you snuggle them in their babygrows after a bath, they smell so MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - now hold that feeling - now you have my name......

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thornton
    Having read your story Elaine, you certainly have been through the mill. I am sure that yoa will pick yourself up and get back on your feet soon.

If they brought in the 'Over 60s Visa' provided you are self sufficient we would be off like a shot. It is always good to keep a base in the UK though wherever you go to live abroad.
    [/quote]
    Thank you i know we will pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and start all over again.

It gets me so angry that the British/Scottish/Welsh/Irish have to have a visa to move to the USA. We are their allies - and pretty close allies at that. Come on America - let us in so that we can make your country better.....................

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
    Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. I am sorry that the bridal shop didn't work out for you, I wouldn't like to try to run a retail business in Fl, you were brave to try.
    Someone mentioned Subway, Subway as well as being the cheapest national food franchise to buy is also the least successful however with more franchisees just giving up after a while.
    There seems to be good money in Chinese takeaway, we just aren't the right people for it however. And its late hours.
    Too many pizza, wings, burgers stores etc.
    Maybe its just our area which is saturated, I tried to find somewhere for takeaway in Sanford last week and had a bit of a job locating one, but there again I don't know the area so well.
    Good Luck and it was great to meet you last Christmas.
    [/quote]

I think the people up here would disagree that Subway is unsuccessful..I know the owners of most around here and they do very well and have done so for many years and now own more than one.....I also know a few Brits with Subways in FL who are doing more than well...I've seen Brits take a run down Subway(people stopped using it after a fall out with the owner) and make it a good little money maker...

Subway is one of the most lucrative franchises if run properly. We have 7 of them in our family and they provide the most extensive franchise support system out there. They are not cheap by any means. he average set up costs for each ofthe 7 shops in UK is approx 350,000 sterking or 700,000 US. One shop has recoupped that cost within 6 months and another coming online which will smash those figures.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
    Mrs BP, I have heard there is money in puppy breeding, but I wouldn't mention it to Cruella. I am sorry that the bridal shop didn't work out for you, I wouldn't like to try to run a retail business in Fl, you were brave to try.
    Someone mentioned Subway, Subway as well as being the cheapest national food franchise to buy is also the least successful however with more franchisees just giving up after a while.
    There seems to be good money in Chinese takeaway, we just aren't the right people for it however. And its late hours.
    Too many pizza, wings, burgers stores etc.
    Maybe its just our area which is saturated, I tried to find somewhere for takeaway in Sanford last week and had a bit of a job locating one, but there again I don't know the area so well.
    Good Luck and it was great to meet you last Christmas.
    [/quote]

I think the people up here would disagree that Subway is unsuccessful..I know the owners of most around here and they do very well and have done so for many years and now own more than one.....I also know a few Brits with Subways in FL who are doing more than well...I've seen Brits take a run down Subway(people stopped using it after a fall out with the owner) and make it a good little money maker...
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience,you just have to look forward now and not back. Hope your children settle down in the UK quickly.

Wishing you all the best for your future[msnsmile2]

Debbie & Neil
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2016.aspx

Florida Expert
    Hi all,
    Ref the over 60s Visa i have e-mailed countless times to Senator Crispin,Senator Bush ,Senator Mendize and have also sent one to George Bush so far i have received two replies,but i will keep on!! perhaps if everyone who wanted to retire to Florida got of their butts and did the same we could get somewhere.

Sheena.
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/40.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    You may know they tried to get a retirement bill through in the late 1990s, Sheena, though the guy who introduced it is no longer in Senate. It failed because it only got the support of the senators whose regions would benefit, Florida, New Mexico and Arizona eg and there are far more cold northern states that wouldnt really benefit. Anyway it never made it. I think if everyone who wants to retire to Florida emailed and you got someone to introduce it again based on support in Florida, the same thing would happen again. There is a lot of self interest in American politics! Unfortunately.
    Julie

Florida Expert
    Elaine,
    It was a brave move in the first instance, moving out there to start a new life,also it took a lot of courage to tell your story here,with character like that I.m sure you'll soon rise above it. A very useful post for anyone considering the move.
    All the very best for the future
    benfilo

Elaine, it will be nice to welcome you back home! Stay positive. I have to say your post has made me think about moving abroad. I seem to dream of that something better constantly but in reality that isn't always the case. I'm sure you'll soon settle and your family will make new friends as well as keeping those you have made in the states.

Good luck to you all - welcome home!
    Elaine