Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by owen3
    Sorry it did not work out for you Elaine, but at least you gave it a try.
    Barbara
    [/quote]thank you Barbara - we gave it our best shot

Florida Chatterbox
    Mr Frosty - my global mate. this is one friendship i will take with me. I met you on here, you bought my salad cream mmmmmm - and our friendship clicked. You and Kay are Fantastic. Respect where respect is due. well give it to me then...LOL see i can still laugh at myself. You better get the Fillet cooked well on July 1st. I love sweet potato's with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on.......mmmmm. of course i have to eat to maintain my weight - otherwise i would be a size 8. and i can't have that.........i will bring the salad cream....

love to you and Kay
    xoxoxox

Florida Chatterbox
    sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you.

We found ourselves in a similar position 9 years ago. we'd moved to NZ, myself and daughter on a student visa, I was to train to be a primary teacher, and my husband on a 6 month visitor visa. We had friends there who assured us that as soon as Bobby got a job offer we could apply for a visa that would allow Bobby to stay. Well he did eventually get a really good job offer but when we applied to immigration we were told that as other kiwis had applied for the job then he was ineligible. He would have had to have been offered a job where no kiwis were willing/able to do it! Now he's not a rocket scientist so that would never ever have been the case. We had to come home the day before his 6 month visa expired.

We had moved all our stuff out there but couldn't afford to bring it all back (the packing costs were more expensive there) so we sold a lot in a garage sale. We came home to stay with his parents. We did still have our car, my brother had been asked to sell it when we left but never quite got around to it! We both got temp jobs within days so immediately had an income, albeit not very large!

we decided to buy an ex council house as we couldn't afford the detached type we'd previously had. my sister acted as guarantor for the mortgage which we refinanced once we got permanent employment. we came home in September and moved into our new house a week before christmas.

to be honest we were too shell shocked by what had happened to really think about how we felt but on reflection i don't regret what happened and feel that it has made us better people and now have stronger and sounder values because of it.

we no longer strive to have the perfect house like we used to. for us spending time as a family and that includes spending all our savings every year on our florida trip are the most important things that we hold dear.

since coming back things have not always been great, we've both been made redundant and had to find other jobs again. My brother in law died quite suddenly from cancer a couple of years ago at 45 and my mohter in law has alzheimers now.

The way i look at it is that if we were still there my father in law would have had to cope with all of this on his own, he only had 2 sons, whereas now that we're home we are able to be a real support for him and my daughter who really had very little to do with her grandparents when she was small is now with them every day as we couldn't afford the afterschool club she used to go to when we came home. She's 15 now and can't really remember it but likes to look at the home video now and again and laugh at her kiwi accent.

i don't particularly miss it as it was only when I was there that I realised that every phone call i made had to be planned. I hadn't appreciated how often I used ot contact my friends/family until I coulcn't afford to! Plus it was before internet use was in every home, it might have been different if I had been able to e-mail and webcam people.

My husband now reflects on it with rose coloured spectacles on only remembering the good times and insists that if we ever win the lottery he'll move back permanently, we shall see!

Anyway take heart from this, as long as you are strong together and you have a good support network when you get back you'll get there.

At the end of the day if you can say you gave it your best shot that's all that matters.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Elaine

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Thanks Julie, We are moving back to Worthing Sussex, My sister who has a 3 bedroom house said we could stay there a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live. There are going to be 8 people in her house - gosh the tension,..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    [/quote]

Maybe we'll meet up in Boots or M & S then Elaine!
    I live in Worthing.
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    Elaine, I am so sorry it did not work out for you. We gave moving over serious consideration but decided not to go ahead which, after hearing your story and others, I am glad we decided to stay in the UK.
    Ruth

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Elaine, Can I ask you an honest question please about your experiences?

Did you have any experience in the bridal game before you bought the business and what made you choose that particular business, It seems to be such a minefield when choosing the right business, it scares the h*ll out of me!

I am glad you found someone to buy it in the end althought she sounds like a "right yin" as we Scots say.

CDV

I am sorry to hear your sad tale Elaine. I love the US in general and Florida in particular and although I would love to spend more time there I could never be brave enough to pursue that dream ( I love the UK too much as well!)

My BIL has lived in the US for about 10 years now, he has a green card and 3 children who were born in the US but he is homesick and missing his family, so this year he has sold up and come home.

Everyone's story is different, there are happy ones and sad one's like your own.

I hope you and your family settle down again in the UK and that your fortunes take an upward turn. Good Luck!

Liz

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris c
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Thanks Julie, We are moving back to Worthing Sussex, My sister who has a 3 bedroom house said we could stay there a couple of weeks to find somewhere to live. There are going to be 8 people in her house - gosh the tension,..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    [/quote]

Maybe we'll meet up in Boots or M & S then Elaine!
    I live in Worthing.

[/quote]No lets meet up at the Maharja in Rowlands Road - my favorite Indian Restaurant

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
    Elaine, Can I ask you an honest question please about your experiences?

Did you have any experience in the bridal game before you bought the business and what made you choose that particular business, It seems to be such a minefield when choosing the right business, it scares the h*ll out of me!

I am glad you found someone to buy it in the end althought she sounds like a "right yin" as we Scots say.

[/quote]Hey, no i had no experience at all in the Bridal Business, i wish we had bought into FOOD. It is the one business that would make loads of money. A Subway would be excellent - i always had dreams of opening a English Tea Room. There is so much opportunity here, but you need money. And don't start talking to me about the taxes....ehhhhhhhhh

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
    I am sorry to hear your sad tale Elaine. I love the US in general and Florida in particular and although I would love to spend more time there I could never be brave enough to pursue that dream ( I love the UK too much as well!)

My BIL has lived in the US for about 10 years now, he has a green card and 3 children who were born in the US but he is homesick and missing his family, so this year he has sold up and come home.

Everyone's story is different, there are happy ones and sad one's like your own.

I hope you and your family settle down again in the UK and that your fortunes take an upward turn. Good Luck!
    [/quote]don't get me wrong i love it in Florida. i love the weather, the smell of dew first thing in the morning, our pool, our house, the afternoon storms if i could pick it up and bring it to the UK i would be as happy as a pig in s@*#