Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: our big mistake moving to florida

Florida Expert
    Hey Elaine,
    So sorry to read your continuing story. It should be made into a movie, then you could get your money back[msnsmile2]

Martin, if this thread is boring you, well then simply don't read it any more!

Your "i told you so attitude" is obviously not welcome by Elaine, and i resent it on here behalf if not.

She has been through the ringer and doesn't need your "what you should have done" help, she needs help now to get her out of this situation. If you can help her with that then do so, don't remove it just because she didn't listen first time.

Oh and Martin before you come back with some other smart remark, read your own post and then refer to line 2 of this.

Elaine, i don't want to make empty offers of help, i'm sorting my own [bad language filtered out] out at the moment. I hope you understand and as always you have my best wishes for the future.

Your thread is most interesting and stands to all as a warning about the new life in Florida, which you and i have both tasted.
    Neil & Kay

Gold 5 Star Member
    Frosty,

Firstly everyone has huge sympathy for Elaine, and as you say she needs support.

That said, there is another issue here.

Elaine started this thread as a warning to others about the difficulties that can be encountered in living and working in Florida, and several people have contributed thanking her for having the courage to admit her mistake - indeed the thread is entitled 'our big mistake ---'

I have had plenty of 'disputes' with Martin and it is fair to say we have disagreed on several issues.

However what is the purpose of this thread, indeed forum, if not to warn others who might find themselves in a similar situation and advise them of correct procedures?

Put simply, there are lessons to be learned from this situation and sympathy alone(however heartfelt) does not help those who might benefit from those lessons.

Gold 5 Star Member
    There is a right and wrong way...Martin could of PMed her with his advice...and then posted it in general for everyone else..it only takes a little bit of tack..I know its hard to be understanding when people do something silly time and time again...welcome to my world..but the lady is very upset..and right now she needs someone to listen not make her feel more upset..its not what you say its the way its said..

Wise words from one who knows. Good on you Frosty. You know I had to sell everything pretty darn quickly and leave when I did not want too. Do you see me moaning and griping about it. No, I just got on, yes I lost money and lots of it, much more than the value of a house (not just me, it directly affected some of my owners and friends too). I have full experience of when things go wrong in Florida. It was not self inflicted either. So you are no position to tell me what I can or cannot post. This is public forum and frosty your are not a censor and you are not going like all the answers you get but that does not give anyone the right to dictate what is and what is not posted (accepting certain criteria of course).
    I have not been rude, I maybe be guilty of being blunt. I do like to give advice how it is and not dress it up. If you do not like that, then tough.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
    Hey Elaine,
    So sorry to read your continuing story. It should be made into a movie, then you could get your money back[msnsmile2]

Martin, if this thread is boring you, well then simply don't read it any more!

Your "i told you so attitude" is obviously not welcome by Elaine, and i resent it on here behalf if not.

She has been through the ringer and doesn't need your "what you should have done" help, she needs help now to get her out of this situation. If you can help her with that then do so, don't remove it just because she didn't listen first time.

Oh and Martin before you come back with some other smart remark, read your own post and then refer to line 2 of this.

Elaine, i don't want to make empty offers of help, i'm sorting my own [bad language filtered out] out at the moment. I hope you understand and as always you have my best wishes for the future.

Your thread is most interesting and stands to all as a warning about the new life in Florida, which you and i have both tasted.
    [/quote]

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Just a polite note to everyone here [msnsmile]:

Please let's not let things start to degenerate into personal comments as that will be the time the thread is locked and we'd hate to have to do that as the thread contains a very interesting discussion that has lots of valid points from all points of view.

I've followed this thread and feel very sorry for what happened to the original poster. I have lived in the US and have known a lot of expats who came down hard. These things happen and it was very brave of Mrsbabypowder to post and tell her story. I'm glad to know that you're trying to bounce back and I sincerely hope it will work out now. My thoughts are with you.

Now, you may not like it, but having myself several LTR, I think Martin has given a lot of sound advice, and if you let it sink in you'll be able to see behind his bluntness. You're going through harsh times, and obviously he is too, so maybe you can understand and forgive it. There has been a lot of compassion on this post, and it's great. It's probably helped you to know that there's still a lot of good people out there. But on the other hand there might be some things you didn't know about in Martin's posts, do take some time to consider the facts he's listing, as they might be of great help. Since you're investing again time and money in the house, it would be a real shame not to take his advice.

Martin, not that it will help, but I'm really sorry about your loss. There's nothing worse than losing a child, and my heart goes to you and your family.

Florida Expert
    I personally feel Martin is very right in what he say's. Sometimes it takes someone to be very blunt to make you REALLY think about what you intend to do. Kind offers of help are great but very few come to anything more than that so at the end of the day it is YOU who has to take full charge of getting your home back in order and as you have said your husband is only there until Feb 8th he needs to get in touch with the right professional people who have EXPERIANCE in the LTRental business and will ensure it is maintained and looked after properly and he need`s to do it pronto.

Martin may know more about this than I but surely if you employ a reputable M/C dealing in the LTRental market then should they be made financially accountable if the tenants cause damage costing more than the security deposit.

Please do not take this the wrong way but you have mentioned that you are not able to work here at the moment and you are living in rented accommodations and money is scarce. Heartbreaking as it may be would it not be better just to leave it and start afresh later when you are back on your feet. The chances of renting it out and getting enough rental to cover the costs could be difficult at the moment and you may find that it is just a source of worry for you that you could most certainly do without when your health is not 100%.

Florida Chatterbox
    I gave the same suggestion as in your last paragraph, I live here in Fl doing nothing but LTR, and do quite well on it too. I don't have any properties in Elaine's area, and would not be able manage one there, its too far away apart from anything else.

This is a time for walking away from a problem home with a large repaymant due every month, specially one around the location Elaine's is in which has seen huge drops in value.

Let it be the bank's problem.Suck it up and move on. You've suffered enough already.

I know it comes hard to make a decision like that but I think its going to be inevitable anyway so why throw good money after bad?

Martin has been somewhat harsh but in this case maybe its needed, even now reality doesn't seem to have dawned on the unfortunate MrsBP.

Anyway Elaine, I hope it all works out for you, even if I don't agree you are doing the right thing commercially.

Florida Chatterbox
    I have only just seen this thread and it's a long time since the last post.

I don't suppose Elaine (Mrs Babypowder) will see this but if you do can you post an update. It's been over 3 years since the last post and I would dearly love to know how you eventually got on.