Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 7 of 150 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: OV Slimming Club Part 5

Gold 5 Star Member
    ouch Julieanne[msnsad] hope it's soon mended[grouphug]

Florida Junior
    thanks mizzy think i'll give diet a try while im in the wheelchair im sure that i lose weight again when i go back to running round after kids but feeling fat on top of being immobile is making me miserable which makes me comfort eat.my cooking skills arent up to much in this either
    [msnsad]
    sam

here goes ...........again
    i have joined weight watchers last night, i want to get a minimum of a stone off asap in readiness for my forthcoming knee operation, as you know i read this everyday and watch how everyone gets on,
    weight now 18s 6
    Liesa

Just a quick hello[msnwink]

Got some of these today.............

Aduki Beans

THESE BEANS PROMOTE REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS AND STRENGTHEN THE KIDNEYS.

WHAT THEY ARE Aduki beans are small, reddish-brown beans with a white ridge along one edge. Cooked, they have a sweet, nutty flavor. They originated in China but are also popular in Japan.

NUTRITIONAL VALUE Adukis are one of the highest protein and lowest fat varieties of bean. They contain high levels of potassium and fiber, as well as B vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin, and minerals such as iron, zinc, and manganese.

HEALING CLAIMS Aduki beans promote regular bowel movements, are a good source of energy, and help lower cholesterol. They may have a role in preventing breast cancer.

TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE CLAIMS According to traditional Chinese medicine, aduki beans benefit bladder and reproductive functions and the kidneys, and are therefore used to treat problems such as urinary dysfunction and bladder infections. And because ancient Chinese folk wisdom says that the kidneys govern the emotion of fear, the aduki bean is considered a source of courage that helps people meet challenges bravely.

HOW THEY WORK Aduki beans are rich in soluble fiber, which speeds up the elimination of waste from the body, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing the body from absorbing harmful substances. Soluble fiber has also been shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) in the blood.

Some experts credit the presence of phytoestrogens in aduki beans with helping to prevent breast cancer. These weak estrogens block receptor sites that would otherwise be filled by stronger estrogens. In women, the phytoestrogens fool the body into believing it is still producing real estrogen, says Erika Schwartz, M.D., co-author of Natural Energy (G P Putnam's Sons, 1999).

EVIDENCE A study published in the Journal of Lipid Research in June 1997 showed that eating legumes appears to lower bad forms of cholesterol. Proof of the aduki bean's other health benefits come from centuries of anecdotes. Wendy Esko, a macrobiotic cooking instructor and counselor at the Kushi Institute in Becket, Mass., says the beans have a diuretic effect and strengthen the kidneys.

"We recommend them because kidneys are the organs that take the most abuse, flushing out toxins," she says. Esko has also eaten them to help clear up bladder and kidney infections. "They were gone in three days," she says.

TYPES There are two kinds of aduki beans. Hokkaido beans are round, shiny, and deep maroon in color. They are grown in volcanic soil on the northernmost island of Japan. Basic aduki beans, grown in the midwestern United States as well as in Asia, are slightly smaller, lighter in color, and not as sweet.

HOW TO BUY, STORE, AND SERVE Aduki beans are available in natural food stores and Asian markets. They may also be called adzuki or azuki beans. They can be purchased dry, in cans, or in powder form. Stored in a dry container, the beans will keep for six to 12 months. Aduki beans are used to make tea, soup, and confectionery pastes. Aveline Kushi's Introducing Macrobiotic Cooking by Aveline Kushi and Wendy Esko (Japan Publishing, 1988) contains aduki bean recipes.

RECOMMENDED CONSUMPTION To derive the maximum benefits from aduki beans, Esko suggests eating half a cup per week. For people who are ill, she recommends eating the same amount twice a week.

Nutrient Profile

ONE CUP of cooked aduki beans has as much iron as 4 ounces of lean steak, more folate than a cup of cooked spinach, and about as much protein as 4 tablespoons of peanut butter.

CALORIES 294
    PROTEIN 17 G
    FAT 0 G
    FIBER 12 G
    IRON 4.6 MG
    POTASSIUM 1,224 MG
    ZINC 4 MG
    VITAMIN [B.sub.1] (THIAMIN) .26 MG
    FOLATE 278 MCG

42p a tin from Sainsbury's[msnwink]

Hi all - greetings from sunny florida. Not a good day the day of travel - well is it ever! Got back on track yesterday, poached eggs & 2 pieces sliced ham for breakfast, bowl of cherries, lunch was 2 slices turkey and salad, supper tomato pasta and 2 hi slices rosemary bread, plus more fruit.

I am determined to get some exercise(apart from walking round milennia mall!) and plan to go for a hike round the estate late evening when it is cool.

Had ructions with BA on the way out as WT+ was overbooked so they put us on standby and we couldn't check in over the net arrived to find we had 4 totally separate seats, considering we had booked in January and are executive members we were not impressed. DH complained and asked for a supervisor who was unbelievably rude and told us they had no obligation to seat us together. I told him Virgin had done this to us 10 years previously and we hadn't travelled with them since and we would take our business elsewhere, I think it's fair to say from his response he wasn't bothered. So we were not happy bunnies while we waited for the flight. Got to the desk and they had changed us to 2 x 2 (which was all we had asked for) and one set of us had thebulkhead seats, so we were quite happy. Once on board another family had been split up as well, so they asked the gals to swap with them which meant they were in same row as us (also plenty of room in the front too) and with only 1 seat and the aisle between us. Now why couldn't the supervisor have said to us we will do all we can please bear with us instead of bein insufferably rude to us? It was such a shock and not the normal BA levels of politeness we normally experience - mind you one of the check in ladies was just as bad, so obviously they are employing new types of staff whose attitude is "how to lose a customer"!! Anyway they redeemed themselves in the end!

Got through customs and immigration in record time, longest time was dollar, but we were in the villa by 4.00pm which is unheard of - usually not there until 5.30 / 6!![clap]

Have a good day all, good luck anyone weighing in today, well done everyone who has lost, and welcome back those who have been away for a whilr - and Marie how is your hubby's foot - getting better I hope.
    Fiona

just found the very first posting of slimmers united

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_17136_1.asp

half way down i was 18 4 so not bad gaining 2lbs in 2 years[msnembarrased][msnembarrased][msnembarrased][msnembarrased]
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by charkyry
    thanks mizzy think i'll give diet a try while im in the wheelchair im sure that i lose weight again when i go back to running round after kids but feeling fat on top of being immobile is making me miserable which makes me comfort eat.my cooking skills arent up to much in this either
    [msnsad]
    [/quote]

like i said Sam have a look at the 7 day trial you may be surprised, i'm not much of a cook either but i seem to manage quite well
    the comfort eating side of things, well i know that only two well[msnsad] i will happily hold my hands up here and say yes i am a comfort eater, looking more at the reasons for my comfort eating has helped a lot so i would suggest you ask yourself WHY? and once you have some reasons why you do it you can then put measures into place to help yourself[grouphug]
    one thing i will say is that the bar of choclate, packet of crisps or that sausage roll only makes you feel good for a very short time but fitting more comfortably into your clothes and having more confidence feels so much better[clap]

Julie, being lazy here and i know i should go look it up but how do the beans fit into the plan, free on green?

Liesa, puzzled by your post are you back onboard now and looking for support? don't want to pressure you because i think you felt it all too much last time

Marie

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
    [i]
    Julie, being lazy here and i know i should go look it up but how do the beans fit into the plan, free on green?

Liesa, puzzled by your post are you back onboard now and looking for support? don't want to pressure you because i think you felt it all too much last time

Marie
    Mizzy Yes free on green[clap]

Liesa ditto Mizzys question?

Fiona what a pain at BA[msnmad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've got a recipe somewhere for aduki beans. I will do my best to find it but don't hold your breath - it could still be packed away from the move [msnembarrased] But if I do find it I will pass it on...
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    PS - Glad you had a safe trip Fiona and eventually got seats you were happy with. Doesn't sound like good customer relations from BA on this occasion [V]
    Julie