Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping companies

Florida Newbie

Shipping companies

Hi everyone, can anyone give advice on shipping belongings from the UK to florida, i seem to be getting myself confused with so many companies out there

If its a hole house, it is cheapest get get whole container delivered and pack it yourself. Not sure what teh going rate is but we paid $1800 back to the UK 3 years ago.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KerryandAndy
    Hi everyone, can anyone give advice on shipping belongings from the UK to florida, i seem to be getting myself confused with so many companies out there
    [/quote]

Dave Lewis

Gold 5 Star Member
    I wouldnt agree about self packing, the remover can only do a proper shipping inventory of contents if they have packed the stuff, if you have packed it they have to open the boxes and root through to see what is in it and will charge for that as if they packed it, otherwise all they can write on the inventory is box, box and more boxes. We had all sorts of problems with this when we shipped our belongings from Florida to Portugal, we self packed and customs wouldnt accept the inventory and insisted on opening the container and inspecting the contents at great expense, plus it seriously delayed the time it spent in customs and we ended up being charged demurrage, total cost was much more than the cost of having had it packed for us. We had a whole container as well. Time again I would have had a giant garage sale and not bothered with shipping stuff at all!

Julie

Florida Newbie
    thanks guys,

i have had a quote for a 20 ft container for £2900 with delivery in 5-6 weeks, i do take the point of customs and the paperwork though. A garage sale sounds the best idea but i have collected so much rubbish i love over the years i couldnt do it. Did you have recommended companies or was it hit and miss, i have had really different quotes from a number of companies on the internet?

Hi Kerry

I have just DM you as I work for a shipping line that goes into Tammpa

Dianne
    www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-3290.aspx

www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-3405.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Be careful with just getting quotes on the internet, there are some right cowboys about, I wouldnt recommend the company we used.
    Julie

Even if the shipping company packs it they can still get held up in customs, its luck of the draw. We self packed both ways and I know Roger has just done the same. You do need a trustworthy shipping company who aret going to take any liberties.
    They did require a witnessed inventory. although I know things have changed somewhat since sept 11th.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    I wouldnt agree about self packing, the remover can only do a proper shipping inventory of contents if they have packed the stuff, if you have packed it they have to open the boxes and root through to see what is in it and will charge for that as if they packed it, otherwise all they can write on the inventory is box, box and more boxes. We had all sorts of problems with this when we shipped our belongings from Florida to Portugal, we self packed and customs wouldnt accept the inventory and insisted on opening the container and inspecting the contents at great expense, plus it seriously delayed the time it spent in customs and we ended up being charged demurrage, total cost was much more than the cost of having had it packed for us. We had a whole container as well. Time again I would have had a giant garage sale and not bothered with shipping stuff at all!

[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'd leave it all behind...and start again....its a new country new life....[msnsmile2]

Depends what you got, we had some seriously expensive stuff. If its just tat then I agree there is no point. Also had two young children and it would have been heartless to throw all there toys and favorite things. 2 electric wheelchairs worth over 10,000 not the sort of thing you can just throw away. Very large collection of PS2 games and DVDs. £3000 worth of moun tain bikes. Not mention the sledge.......

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    I'd leave it all behind...and start again....its a new country new life....[msnsmile2]

[/quote]