Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: escape to the sun?

Florida Newbie

escape to the sun?

Does anyone remember the reality show Escape to the sun it was on BBC1 back in 2003 it was about Brits who had moved or who were moving to Florida. I was just curious as to what happened to these people. I seem to remember there was a family who bought a tea room in Celebration, and it also focused around a organisation called Resort Quest, the rest I cannot remember. I just wondered if any of you guys remembered this show at all[msnsmile]

I remember it well - we were with Resortquest at the time. Resortquest had just "come on the scene",Jean Styles was the Boss and the show did focus on the comings and goings at the front desk. I believe the Tea Shop folks are gone, and I do remember a niece of Jean Styles and her husband were going to be responsible for the restaurant in Bahama Bay.....remember her trying to make steak & kidney pudding with no kidney???

Funny thing is, she (Jean Styles, that is)is back in charge and Resortquest have long departed the area - back to the future eh?Their offices are the big white colonial style building at the entrance to Lindfields sub-division, on the 192.

Florida Junior
    Good grief was it really in 2003 it feels like it was only 2 years ago not 4!! Wasn't the Tea Room in Celebration called Sherlock's?

It was, and still is I believe. It is located in Celebration and based on the Sherlock Holmes theme. The shop "changed hands" in March 2004 but still operates on the same theme - with an expanded menu.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Shows like that have done a lot of damage to people lifes...I hope not to see many of them in the future...TV shows are now turning towards finding people who have made the move and are having a bad time of it....you don't want to know what I think of the people who make shows like this.......[msnembarrased]

It was not a negative show. Did you actually see it? If I was opening up a business in Florida, a prime time slot with my business in it would be fantastic.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    Shows like that have done a lot of damage to people lifes...I hope not to see many of them in the future...TV shows are now turning towards finding people who have made the move and are having a bad time of it....you don't want to know what I think of the people who make shows like this.......[msnembarrased]
    [/quote]

What happened to the couple that ran the motel? I used to love the programme and like Martin says it was not a negative show at all[msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Martin...I deal everyday with people who have had their lives pulled apart because they watched shows like that and thought it was easy to make the move.......I've been doing that for 6 years now....living everyday with the heartbreak the pain...the unhappness...everytime a show like that comes on TV my mail box and the forums I'm on are full of people wanting to make the move who have not hope of ever doing so..or try and lose everything because they will not take advice etc..so yes...I know what those shows do without having to watch them....

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
    What happened to the couple that ran the motel? I used to love the programme and like Martin says it was not a negative show at all[msnwink]
    [/quote]

And there lies the problem...there are a lot of negatives to moving...more so over the last year or so...I think we have a topic about the people on the show on one of our forums...I'll try to look it up...

People are given such high hopes watching shows like this...and people like me and countless others have to put down their dreams...or help them pick up the pieces...TV folk now want to film that hearthbreak...and having been doing this last few months...makes for good TV...but with so many people losing everything to con men and bad advice...its just left a bad taste in my mouth...

Gold 5 Star Member
    Just had a quick look...one family it seems is now in Portugal ...another was still in FL as of 05...doing OK says her brother at that time..not sure who is who....