Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Day trip to Miami ???

Day trip to Miami ???

Hello,

Just wondering if it's worth doing a day trip to Miami from Orlando?

We are travelling with 2 children (3yrs old & a 7mth old), so staying over in Miami for a night or 2 presents it's own problems etc.

Is it worth the trip to Miami just for the day, and what is there to do & see if only there for a few hours.

The drive there & back the same day wouldn't bother me.

Thanks...Shane

Florida Expert
    Not a great deal to see in Miami. Miami Beach is nice but that is frankly a separate place out on a barrier island. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Fort Lauderdale is a better place to go for the day, canals (more than Venice, Italy apparently) are attractive and there are some shopping streets, Miami is just another big city.

Clare R

Florida Expert
    Hi Shane,

We first went to Florida in 1980 and stayed in Miami for two weeks,(taking a side trip to Orlando for a couple of days to see Disneys Magic Kingdom, which was the only one of Disneys theme parks open then as Epcot was just being built).

We spent most of the time travelling away from Miami to the Everglades,to Orlando and to other places. Miami was interesting but, as Clare says, there was not (in those days at least) enough to keep you rooted to the spot! [msnsmile2]

The road journey from Orlando is long and the children would probably be restless, and whereas Miami is interesting from the point of view of the buildings and views, there is (or was!)little to occupy or interest young children. They would probably be happier and more contented with the many attractions around the Kissimmee/Orlando area.

Just a personal opinion but I hope it helps? [msnsmile2]
    Kevin

Florida Expert
    As adults we love Miami There is a lot to do, but it is not an ideal place to drive to for a day trip (I think you are looking at around 4 hour drive there.

I would suggest saving the experience for a time when the kids are grown up. There are some great beaches and places to visit that are much closer to Orlando.
    Mary
    Mary

There is so much to see and do in Miami, which is a vibrant, exciting and fascinating city, and a melting pot of cultures, but a day trip really would not give you time to see it at its best. Imagine driving down to London for 4 hours, I doubt whether you would see much in one day, and with two young children I think you might find it a bit too much for them. There are lots of interesting things to do such as the Zoo, Monkey Jungle, Duck Tours (like on the Thames in London) plus the Everglades, and around Fort Lauderdale there is even more to do, including Catamaran trips, Flamingo Gardens, and many superb beaches. Shopping malls abound, including Sawgrass Mills and the wonderful Aventura Mall, south of Fort Lauderdale, which has recently been remodelled, but these would not be much fun for little ones.

However, you are looking at 4 hours travelling, with extra time for a couple of stops on the way - it is over 250 miles, so 500 miles in one day would not be good, as Miami itself can get very busy with traffic jams common on the I95.

I would suggest you give it a miss this time round, but try to plan a visit when the children are a little older and you can stay for a few days, perehaps basing yourself in or around Fort Lauderdale or Boca Raton. I am sure they would like it better if you took them to one of the Gulf coast beaches, which are much nearer.

ellie

Miami is a great place, however if you are driving it is not practable to drive, you may want to consider flying, either from MCO or if you can do a charter from Municiple.
    Jen & Amy

www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1481.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Its about a 4 hour drive so i would not recommend it as a day trip for Children - Maybe when they are older

Neil