Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes In March/April

Florida Expert
    The only time me and the wife have been bitten was when we parked next to a field with lots of puddles and standing water in the car park behind Ponderosa on the 192. Both bit to bits and that was in March.

Florida Junior
    I must agree, i was badly bitten in September, 2005. That was near old town. Never been bitten before never been bitten again. Quite strange really but they are there. We have been visiting Florida for around 20 years now and that was the only time i have been bitten, nobody else was just me.

Have been bitten early evening in Magic Kingdom waiting for friends on thunder mountain, yet the children that were with me didn't get bitten
    also been bitten outside your house Andy and Diane early evening, a few trips ago!
    Jen & Amy

www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1481.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    My DH wants me to play crazy golf when we go over in March but last time we went I was the only one to get bitten by mossies. His answer to that is wear long trousers tucked into your socks, I don't think so[msneek]

Unfortunatly if bitten I can get a bad reaction to it don't know what's in my blood but they sure do like it.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think we might need to distinguish between 'Florida' and 'Orlando'.

I'm in no position to confirm or challenge anybody's experiences in Orlando but I am always bitten (sometimes badly) when I visit the Gulf Coast whatever the time of year.

Not sure if they are actually 'mosquitos' though!

Gold 5 Star Member
    No see ums are the worst (gnats).
    But using the simple deet sprays around your neck and ankles usually prevents bites from either gnats or anopheles spp. (mosquitos)

Gold 5 Star Member
    I got bite in Orlando by No see ums after a storm blow in from the coast....my neighbour on the Cape has a place in Davenport...and was badly bitten by them in a swimming pool also after a storm....I don't believe they are very common inland...mozzies are very common...being into bugs its something I notice...I've also noticed that the bites are smaller and go quicker.....sometime if you own or stay by a lake and it is sprayed you may find you don't see so many..that could be why owners with homes by lakes see only a few of them or none...the spray around the homes don't kill mozzies unless they are there at the time...the same with a few spiders...its not the same spray that is used around water...which is far to strong to be around pets and humans...

I know this might seem stupid, but what do mosquito and noseeum bites look like? I was bitten twice (by I don't know what), once here in the UK, and the lump was enormous! Really itchy and really hot! The lump lasted for at least three weeks, but there was a mark there for some time afterwards. I had a similar bite just above my ankle in Florida, but not so severe. Does anyone think this might have been a mosquito bite?

thanks

http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Nuala, you are describing the type of bite and reaction my husband gets, the insects seem to love him[msneek] especially in france, rather strangely he wasn't bitten at all in orlando[msnsmile]

he usually has a bad reaction to the bites so we did take more precautions on our first florida trip, we used avons skin so soft shower cream and the dry oil spray and he also started on a course of anti histamines before we left, with all of the above he didn't get a single bite[clap]

Mizzy

Thanks Mizzy. I'll try to get that skin so soft before we next travel. As I said before, I was only bitten twice, ever, so I can't say I find it a problem, but when I WAS bitten..... boy did I know about it!
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx