Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pools/spas in homes - summer?

Pools/spas in homes - summer?

Just a few questions. We're renting a house in Emerald Island for the first time in late July/early August. The home has a pool. My questions are:

1. Is there any reason to get spa heat? We have the option of pool & spa heat or just spa heat (cheaper) but the owner says that most people feel that it's just not necessary at that time of year and is just TOO hot.

2. Can you use the pools if it's raining out? I'm guessing if there's lightning, obviously not. I'm thinking if it's raining though, there will be water coming into the pools. Is this okay? Do you need to keep the pool covered during rain or when you're not using it? How much care do you have to do for the pool?

Thanks!

Florida Expert
    I find that most people do not need the pool / spa heating at that time of year.

Definitely a NO to getting in the pool if there is thunder and lightening. Best to get inside away from the pool area.

I have never had problems taking a swim in the rain

Keeping the cover on may help stop debris going in the pool. The covers are best kept on in colder weather if the heating is on.

Most owners have pool companies that visit once a week to check the balance of the water and clean it.

We have a pool "skimmer net" that can be used to fish out debris from the water.
    Linda

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Marcie,

My view would be to have both pool heat and spa heat.

The pool heat should be controlled by a thermostat which will switch off the heater as soon as the water is up to the set temperature. Even in summer pools can shed quite a few degrees overnight and we've always found we enjoy the pool more if the heater brings it straight back up to temperature first thing in the morning rather than risk having it feel chilly. The sun will eventually do the same job but you are on vacation so why wait?

As for the spa heat, surely the whole point of the spa is to have it hot? If the heater is set correctly it shouldn't be getting too hot as the heater should be switching off as soon as it's up to the correct temperature. Sitting in the hot bubbles watching the sunset is just wonderful. Lukewarm bubbles just wouldn't have the same effect!

If you do see storms developing in July/August I would always recommend to be out of the pool at the first sign of the dark clouds. Stay safe, grab a milkshake, and then jump straight back in the pool as soon as the sun is back out.
    Steve

We have pool and spa heat even in August[msnwink]

Pool and spa heat 12 months of the year for us too - as Steve said Lukewarm bubbles, No thanks!
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Expert
    I would differ with the others above. We just find it great to have a cooler pool to freshen up in when it is hot in August! Can you ask the owner if you could arrange to have the heating put on when you are there if you feel it is necessary? the only provisor to this would be that once it was on it would have to stay on.
    Joyce
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1917.aspx

I am often in the pool to cool off so my vote would be no pool heat in summer but a definite yes to spa heat.
    We do not have a spa in our home but when I do use one it needs to be HOT!!!

Liz

I would agree with Liz on this, spa heat on and pool heat off. That way you can cool down when needed.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
    I am often in the pool to cool off so my vote would be no pool heat in summer but a definite yes to spa heat.
    We do not have a spa in our home but when I do use one it needs to be HOT!!!
    [/quote]
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2185.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have pool heat on whatever month we are there, but we have always have little ones with us so we think it needs warming a little.
    Paula

Florida Newbie
    we always have the pool heated whatever time of the year we are there, most days we only use the pool early morning or after a day at a park, nice warm and relaxing...